Alaska | News | Sarah Palin

Sarah Palin Won't Say Who She Voted For

PalinSarah Palin just gave an actual press conference! I believe it is her first.

After casting her ballot in Wasilla, Sarah Palin spoke to reporters. The even crazier thing that she said was, when asked who she voted for, she replied that she was exercising her right to privacy and not telling!

Clip AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Not so crazy. Republican Senator from Alaska Ted Stevens is running for reelection after having been indicted and convicted of felony bribery. She can't say she voted for her and McCain and then demure from saying who she voted for in the Senate race. She can't say she voted for a convicted felon, but she can't say she voted against her party either. She was in a no win situation. By simply "exercising her right to a secret ballot" she diffuses the Stevens issue without having to demure from it specifically.

Posted by: Jonathan | Nov 4, 2008 11:35:00 AM

2. I just watched this live and she did say that. All the pundits are picking up on it. Did it ever occur to anyone, though, that she was being facetious? As a democrat I even caught it...

Posted by: david | Nov 4, 2008 11:37:29 AM

3. I just caught this on MSNBC and I couldn't believe it! It might just be me, but I felt it was telling on two fronts. When asked by a reporter who she voted for, she responded by saying that she wouldn't tell and that's what is "cool," yes she said "cool," about America, that you don't have to say. Here are my two thoughts: Obviously she voted for McCain and herself but thought it would be "cool" to joke around with the press; lady, you can't joke around with them, you don't know them and they don't know you! Maybe if you took some time days/weeks/months ago to let them get to know you, maybe, just maybe, you could have joked. Secondly, NO MORE SECRETS please. After eight years of the most secretive administration, we need a bit of disclosure. Yes, it is your right to cast a secret ballot, but come on, no more secrets please.

Posted by: Kevin | Nov 4, 2008 11:44:58 AM

4. She probably wrote herself in for President. And Tina Fey for Vice President.

Posted by: crispy | Nov 4, 2008 11:45:00 AM

5. I will be perfectly happy if I NEVER have to listen to Caribou Barbie again. Please, go back to the cave you and your spawn came from, and take Joe the Plumber with you.

Posted by: Rad | Nov 4, 2008 11:51:38 AM

6. Another twenty-four hours and the fifteen minutes for this dumbass will be over. Beat it, bitch.

Posted by: Joey | Nov 4, 2008 11:51:53 AM

7. Why is she not in Phoenix with McCain tonight?

Posted by: txstevo | Nov 4, 2008 11:52:39 AM

8. I don't think it should count as a "press conference" if you don't answer questions. I know, she's just following the "Bush doctrine," but still....

Posted by: tjc | Nov 4, 2008 11:59:39 AM

9. Cross out John McCain, write in Sarah Palin 2012, Joe the Plumber VP. Democracy is so cool!

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 4, 2008 12:00:24 PM

10. Doesn't asking Sarah Palin who she voted for violate her 14th amendment rights?

Posted by: Steve in DE | Nov 4, 2008 12:15:02 PM

11. TXSTEVO, as she said in the interview, she was going directly from the polling place to the airport to get on a plane to Phoenix.

Posted by: Jonathan | Nov 4, 2008 12:15:10 PM

12. i don't support her or mccain but i think it's okay that she didn't answer the question. btw NO ON PROP 8!!!

Posted by: J | Nov 4, 2008 12:16:57 PM

13. Knowing she & McCain will most likely lose, I'm certain she voted for Obama - also so that she could run in 2012. Powerhungry b*tch!

Posted by: SCOTT | Nov 4, 2008 12:18:48 PM

14. If you haven't figured it out yet, let me put it in perspective: Senator Stevens is appealing his conviction, which he will lose. Once he loses his appeal and is effectively removed from his Senate seat, Sarah will move in and run for that seat. What better way to keep yourself in the public eye until 2012 when she plans on running for President again. That gives her enough time to brush up on her media skills (or lack there of) and her improve her knowledge on domestic and international issues. $10 says I'm right.

Posted by: Keith | Nov 4, 2008 12:19:48 PM

15. Let's hope it's her LAST press conference.

Posted by: AARON ELVIS | Nov 4, 2008 12:26:06 PM

16. What a stupid bitch. Good bye to you and your Ken doll husband. I hope the GOP picks her for 2012, Obama will wipe the floor with her, just as they are doing today.

I bet McFool is kicking himself in the ass right now. I had heard she was going to AZ to watch the returns, McShame probably changed his mind, not wanting to be seen with them on camera as he goes down in flames.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Nov 4, 2008 12:26:39 PM

17. There's a lot of things you can say about Palin, but we do have a secret ballot in this country and nobody ever has to answer that question. Saying "its none of your business" is certainly a reasonable reply to a nosy question.

And to TXSTEVO: she's an Alaska resident, she has to vote in Alaska. Sure she could have done an absentee ballot, but that's not much of a photo op, is it? This is the age of showbiz politics my friend.

Posted by: NaughtyLola | Nov 4, 2008 12:28:31 PM

18. Something big is happening my gay brethren. Reports from family in New York (city and upstate), Pennsylvania (urban and rural), Mid-Atlantic (DC, VA, MD), Florida, Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, and California report long lines everywhere. Many, many new voters! None of us recall ever witnessing this many people waiting in line to vote. Keep the faith and keep on calling your family and friends, particularly in California and Florida.

Posted by: rudy | Nov 4, 2008 12:30:45 PM

19. Wrong! It was smart of her not to say that she voted for herself. Many folks (especially small town folks) won't tell you who they voted for; it's nobody's business but their own. So Joe Six Pack can totally relate to how Palin answered, very folksy. And BTW, saying that you voted for yourself just sounds arrogant.

Posted by: William | Nov 4, 2008 12:47:05 PM

20. I agree, i think it was politically very smart of her not to say. She is reminding people of the Bradley effect.

She is telling people that "you too can go in and cast your ballot for whomever you like - and you never have to tell anybody! You dont even have to lie about it!"

The only hope the McCain/Palin campaign has of winning this election is if people are secretly afraid of electing a black as President. Here, she is simply reminding those people that it is a secret who they voted for - and I feel she is subconsciously trying to encourage people to vote Bradley style.

Posted by: Dan B | Nov 4, 2008 12:54:30 PM

21. Because she voted for "that one."

Posted by: JTlvr | Nov 4, 2008 1:04:30 PM

22. The question was not serious, therefore, absurd, and always asked of candidates by retarded reporters. And it's highly unlikely they would have tried to pin her down about Stevens who is political toast.

Yes, OF COURSE, fucktards, it's anyone's right not to answer. But her evasiveness about even the obvious reflects the "do it in secret when we can" fascism her tribe practices which come down to: "We know that we stand for ideas that repulse decent people such as greed and war mongering and racism and sexism and its sibling homohatred, so, whenever possible we avoid rebuke. That's why we tried to make ourselves 'victims' of 'intolerance' just because we support 'traditional marriage'. That's why we keep denying that Prop 8 isn't about hating anyone. We even got a TV station in Gay Ground Zero--San Francisco--to do a story taking pity on us because someone parked an SUV with 'Bigots' written on it and an arrow sign pointing to one of our houses. That's why even a San Francisco newspaper columnist WITH A GAY SON wrote that looking up the names of people you know to see if they'd donated to Yes on 8 was just divisive. That's why we've convinced so many that 'gay rights' are 'special rights'. That's why we came up with the verbal shell game of 'Love the sinner; hate the sin'."

In one of his rare honest moments, religiofascist hit man er consultant Ralph Reed once bragged, "I paint my face and travel at night. You don't know it's over until you're in a body bag. You don't know until election night."

It's about what's behind Palin's curtain not her simply invoking her right to privacy in front of it, by golly.

Posted by: Leland Frances | Nov 4, 2008 1:09:38 PM

23. So, she doesn't want to say who she voted for. big deal. She has every right not to tell anyone who she voted for. I'm not going to vote for her, but I think she handled herself well in that clip.

Posted by: Jim | Nov 4, 2008 1:15:49 PM

24. Seriously...though I don't like her and did not vote for her...that's the most coherent she has ever been.

Posted by: pj | Nov 4, 2008 1:19:51 PM

25. Even though I'm quite gay and voted against her, she is still my favorite MILF!

Posted by: Eric | Nov 4, 2008 1:50:11 PM