California | Gay Marriage | Melissa Etheridge | News

BigGayDeal.com

Melissa Etheridge on Prop 8: No Taxation without Representation

Melissa Etheridge has penned an excellent column for The Daily Beast on Prop 8 and legislating morality:

Imgbsbottometheridgeprop8_134036596"When did it become okay to legislate morality? I try to envision someone reading that legislation "eliminates the right" and then clicking yes. What goes through their mind? Was it the frightening commercial where the little girl comes home and says, "Hi mom, we learned about gays in class today" and then the mother gets that awful worried look and the scary music plays? Do they not know anyone who is gay? If they do, can they look them in the face and say "I believe you do not deserve the same rights as me"? Do they think that their children will never encounter a gay person? Do they think they will never have to explain the 20% of us who are gay and living and working side by side with all the citizens of California? I got news for them, someday your child is going to come home and ask you what a gay person is. Gay people are born everyday. You will never legislate that away."

You Can Forget My Taxes [the daily beast]

Comments

1. 20%!!!!!

I'm one of those who see sexuality as social construction. But let's be real: with 20% as openly gay and identified with marriage as a way of life and loving union, the proposition would fail easily. Maybe 20% in her daily places (¿San Francisco?), but not in all places of California.

Posted by: anonymous | Nov 7, 2008 1:07:19 PM

2. Oprah owns a big chunk of California. Maybe she can take her taxes and actually help us out for a change.

Posted by: daisy | Nov 7, 2008 1:09:06 PM

3. Oprah Winfrey, the self-loathing closet case? Yeah, good luck with that.

Posted by: freddy | Nov 7, 2008 1:34:58 PM

4. I think she was probably taking the cliched 10% of humanity is gay and doubling it to account for men and women. Which is stupid-it's pretty much common knowledge that the percentage of gay and lesbians total is under 10%, possibly well under 10%. The fact that the best we can seemingly do is a crappy singer who can't do basic math to be our self-appointed spokesperson (and where was she before this all went down?) is a sign of how pathetic the 'movement' is right now.

Posted by: Charles | Nov 7, 2008 1:45:04 PM

5. Love Melissa!

Please let's not get into the percentage bullshit because NOBODY has any real numbers since GAYS ARE EVERYWHERE! We could be 5% or 50% of the population.

Posted by: SFshawn | Nov 7, 2008 1:51:43 PM

6. "sounds sort of like that taxation without representation thing from the history books."

Actually, it doesn't. You have representation. Just ask anyone who lives in DC what *really* not having representation is like.

Posted by: chrisafer | Nov 7, 2008 1:52:46 PM

7. I think our pathetic movement can be judged by the assholish comments of people on blogs who tear down even the few public figures willing to stand up for our rights. Sure, 20% is not by any stretch realistic, but THAT'S what riles you up in all of this? I sometimes feel like all 27% of the people who voted for McCain spend their days in the comments sections of gay blogs. Why always so negative? Melissa Etheridge is a hero, and I don't need to own any of her CDs to think that.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Nov 7, 2008 1:56:10 PM

8. Correction: All 27% of GAY AND LESBIAN people who...

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Nov 7, 2008 1:57:30 PM

9. I don't like some disrispectful comments about Melissa here, she was out of the closet when nobody else was out in the music industry and she deserves a big respect. I don't agree with her proposal but I understand her fury, I am sure that before 8 years you will have same-sex marriage in California, you have to educate people and debunkyng the lies of the religious people.

I admire a lot Melissa for coming out years ago, in Spain we have singers, actress, high level politicians who are lesbians but all of them are in the closet, I don't know why because gay men are generally more despised but in spit of that we have some openly gay celebrities.

Sorry for my bad English.

Posted by: Eduardo | Nov 7, 2008 2:23:22 PM

10. Here's what most people fail to understand about this particular TAX PROTEST.

It's not necessarily done to amass this "great resistance" (a cool idea, and even plausible), but NOT THE REASON.

Gay Tax Protesters simply REFUSE to be taxed unfairly. Period. If you want to keep paying into an unfiar system - go ahead. Just know some of us REFUSE to take this kind of "civil" abuse.

Posted by: john bisceglia | Nov 7, 2008 3:33:38 PM

11. >
    Morality? What a dangerous argument. The legislature regularly passes law on actual moral issues (e.g. stealing, perjury). However, the only thing I hate more than people grouping sexual orientation with "morality" is when gay people propagate this damaging association. Orientation has nothing to do with morality.

Posted by: Brix | Nov 7, 2008 3:36:22 PM

12. Wow.. I wish I could send you some of our legislation from across your northern border down to you guys/gals.. Its so sad for us to see what you're all going through. Strangely, Canadians take for granted how lucky we are up here for all that we, as part of the LGBT community, have. Long fought for, yes, but still.. gay marriage and other rights.. though relatively recent, seem so natural to us now. may you succeed!

Posted by: Northern Neighbour | Nov 7, 2008 3:52:47 PM

13. Wow.. I wish I could send you some of our legislation from across your northern border down to you guys/gals.. Its so sad for us to see what you're all going through. Strangely, Canadians take for granted how lucky we are up here for all that we, as part of the LGBT community, have. Long fought for, yes, but still.. gay marriage and other rights.. though relatively recent, seem so natural to us now. may you succeed!

Posted by: Northern Neighbour | Nov 7, 2008 3:54:12 PM

14. I don't understand why religion is so involved in our government. I wrote this on my blog:

I am proud that America took a great big step towards equality by electing Barack Obama this week. But I am also saddened and disappointed by the backward steps taken by the following states that wrote blatant discrimination into their constitutions: Arkansas, where unmarried couples are now prevented from adopting or fostering children; Florida and Arizona, where gay marriage has been banned; and most notably, California, where a law allowing gay marriage has been repealed, leaving the status of 20,000 marriages in question. I was under the impression that our constitution was created to protect our rights, not repeal them.

We currently live in a society where people are ignorantly learning about civics in church and where law is being dictated by religion (namely Christianity) with scripture passages arbitrarily chosen while ignoring others that they, themselves, are clearly breaking. But not all homosexuals are Christian, so who are Christians to judge and tell people what is right and what is wrong and what they can and cannot do (Judge not, lest ye be judged), when not all share their mistranslated beliefs? Orthodox Jews cannot eat pork and cannot mix meats with cheeses. What if they rallied a majority to prohibit ham and cheeseburgers, or worse, bacon cheeseburgers to protect their faith? The government plays no role in religion, so why is religion so largely playing a role in our government? It is time to start governing our nation on the ideas of the collective people and not the scripture of a single religion.

This is about rights and civil liberties: the right to marry, the right to employment non-discrimination, the right to hate crime protections, the right to fight for country, and the right to feel like a citizen of this country and not a second-hand citizen. Melissa Etheridge wrote in The Daily Beast, that because 51% of voting Californians find her to be a second-hand citizen, that she will no longer pay her state taxes. “I mean, that would just be wrong, to make someone pay taxes and not give them the same rights, sounds sort of like that taxation without representation thing in the history books,” she says. “When did it become okay to legislate morality?”

Although funny and meant in jest, I would also have to agree with Margaret Cho, who once said, “We need to recognize that a government that would deny a gay man the right to bridal registry, is a fascist state.”

Posted by: Jeremy Hawking | Nov 7, 2008 5:37:27 PM

15. "Fashback Artist" is a true story of one remarkable woman's life and spiritual journey (lesbian) who not only claims she has one of the greatest relationships with God, but is also called to help Angels with task on earth, and has came face to face with firey eyed demons (others have witnessed) this is a true story. "I don't believe God hates Gays and Lesbians. I believe God loves us and I truly do not believe it is decited because you are straight or Gay, but I believe from my experiance that it depends on the heart and soul and the relationship God has with that individual. Next...This is AMERICA!!! I am an AMERICAN CITIZEN!!!
    American Citizen = Equil Rights!!! God gave me my rights to be who I am, God did not give others the right to take those rights away because I do not claim to be a christian, buddist, mormon, catholic or any other freedom of choice belief! But that is my right and my freedom to believe in what I choose, same as the next person or American Citizen, Nor does this give anyone the right to take away the rights of any American Citizen because they are straight or gay. This again is AMERICA and gays or straight should all be seen as first class citizens. Our high paid taxes as singles cover alot of the expences in AMERICA, we don't get all the breaks others get who have children or any of the dependants, etc. I don't have children, yet my money goes to build new schools as well to pay for the cost of their education, roads, welfare and so on. I am not out there having kids by the dozens, I have not been living on welfare all my life nor an I molesting the children! I am willing to adopt those poor kids who has been left behind by the millions of divorce cases, drug cases and abuse cases!
    None of the gay men I have ever known to this day has ever molested a child, but some of the gay men as children have been molested by straight married men who hide behind the strings of their wifes apron and claim to be christian. I also know this for a fact!
    So... lets get back to the real fact!!! American can not be run on the grounds of beliefs from any church or religion! Religion is not made of GOD but of man. For the soul purpose of degrading some American Citizens as second class citizens who do not share the same belief. This is why the State and Church should be kept seperate. Another reason our government will need to take a closer look at the LGBT community is because of the fact that it has been allowing us (LGBT) to be the targets of hate by those who believe they are a higher class citizen. Remember... the true reason Moses broke the 10 commandments over the rocks in the first place? The new commandment was then given and Moses learned a valuable lesson when GOD then said "now go in peace and love ye one another."
    If my being (all my life) a lesbian woman is wrong in the eyes of my GOD, one thing is for sure...you won't have to answer for it, I will? Therefor you have no right to judge me for it. Even a marriage between a man and a woman states... if I remember right the words were, "until death due us part?" but who really keeps that oath,these days? I believe it is time to re-evaluate not only the rights of the American people but all the things that are not working in America.
    Maybe there are alot of things that need taking a closer look at? I can see why the Prision System has failed, I can see why the Welfare System has failed, I can see why the Health Care System has failed. I have been taking a good look at the "BIG PICTURE" for quite sometime and it's time America makes some changes, not for just a few, but for all AMERICAN CITIZENS.
    ...yes even those of us who do not claim to be anything other than who we are!!! Flashback Artist tells the story of the authors life and spiritual journey. Others are claiming "it is the best book they have read in a very long time."
    www.FlashbackArtist.com

Posted by: Lisa | Nov 7, 2008 8:13:06 PM

16. Blackrizah.blogspot.com says
    It is so great Gays are getting back the Insults they constantly inflict on Blacks.
    Karma hit them quick and it is so so good. Now their Black propaganda insults have come home to roost as Rev. Warren is given a platform to fight the Gay community and get all Americans to join in. Enjoy the insults gays and get a taste of your mental violence directed at Blacks. Your leftwing buddies is proving they are all about White Priviledge, they never showed equality to the children of Black Democrats who children are shot down in street constantly by police. But now they are so sensitive and human right? Wrong, they are White Priviledge and showing their bombastic hypocrisy to the World and their rightwing enemies of the Conservative Religious Movement. Gays never even thought for a moment they may have insulted President Elect Obama, he would never tell them so. Why because they act like irrational fuzzmouth widgets of corruption. So why should Obama remind them he has a Black wife and children that they are insulting. The deaf ears they show to Blacks while insulting them is arrogance at its fullest,so now karma gives deaf ears they as they are compared to pediophiles and pizzas. Karma never tasted so good. Feel the pain gays that you gave to Blacks, get a real lesson in mortification and learn something!TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION, WHAT A CROCK, YOU ARE VOLUNTEER SLAVES WHO HAVE CARVED A LIFE OFF OF NON-VOLUNTARY SERVITUDE. GIVE BLACKS THEIR REPARATIONS AND ALL THE STEALING YOU AND YOUR CORRUPT PARENTAL WELFARE RECEIPIENT PARTICIPATED IN FRAUDS OF WEALTH.

Posted by: marlene | Dec 21, 2008 4:43:53 PM

17. What part of sodom,an gamorra,dont ya understand?Im not a gay basher,but I must ask ya,have ya ever read the bible?and do ya give a care?

Posted by: harold | Apr 16, 2009 6:16:57 PM