Christian Bigot Activists vs Married Gay 20-Somethings

Christianbigots

The L.A. Times on Sunday profiled Able and Robbie Ferreira, a Christian couple from Spring Valley, California, who were “called to action” by Proposition 8:

“For 40 days, the couple gave up coffee and didn’t eat for 12 hours a day. And Robbie gave up “Days of Our Lives,” the soap opera she had been watching since high school. The fast culminated at a huge rally Nov. 1 at San Diego’s Qualcomm Stadium. The Ferreiras were ushers at the event, known as ‘The Call,’ where a pastor named Lou Engle orchestrated 12 hours of prayer for the passage of Proposition 8. ‘We were praying for revival in this country, that this quest to darkness would stop,’ Abel remembers.

Said Abel: “I saw [Proposition 8] as a crossroads in our country. I feel like for the sake of our country and our family I had to stand up and be heard. It definitely let us know that we’re in a battle. When you’re in the heat of the moment, there’s no standing on the fence. You’re committed. And we’re committed to this fight.

Added Robbie: “I’m just seeing our morals and everything just deteriorating before us. The thing that affected me the most was knowing that my grandkids are going to be taught this ungodly and sinful act as if it’s OK. I thought from that point on, ‘No. I will fight for them. I don’t have them yet, but I’m going to fight for them.'”

The Ferreira’s profile was balanced by another, of recently married twentysomethings Christopher Lewis and Cody Horton:

“Before they moved here, the self-effacing couple had never even seen a demonstration, much less protested themselves. But two days after the election, they drove two hours into Los Angeles and nervously joined the throngs marching in protest against Proposition 8. The next night, they were back on the streets in Long Beach. The night after, in Silver Lake, then Westwood and downtown L.A. ‘It just hurt so bad; it’s all we could think of doing,’ Lewis said. ‘It’s all we have left.’ They are pessimistic that the California Supreme Court will overturn the ban, despite the high-profile appeals by top politicians, including state Atty. Gen. Jerry Brown. ‘I did send a wedding picture to the chief justice and wrote a note on the back of it asking him to share it,’ Lewis said. ‘Hopefully, if they see enough faces, they will realize that their decisions make a huge difference.’Lewis, 24, and Horton, 20, found each other online during one lonely Christmas vacation in 2006.”

Gaycouple

Gay couple won’t let Proposition 8 steal their dream [la times]
Proposition 8 moves Christian couple to action [la times]

Comments

1. Yeek says

Read the full article. It’s absolutely great. It kind of epitomizes the generational aspect of the struggle as well: the successful, older couple looking at retirement and the young newlyweds, poor but full of determination and promise.

2. says

Yes, YEEK is right… read the whole article. Those two multiply-divorced bigots, one of whom is an ex-con (guess which one), have a lot of nerve criticizing other people for simply trying to marry the person they love. Yet another example of the bullshit hypocrisy and know-nothing values that are so characteristic of their generation. When, oh when, will America be delivered from this misguided, capricious, and entirely destructive zealotry?

3. Bart says

If you were trying to parody who the pro-8 bigots are, you couldn’t even begin to match the Ferreira’s. It’s like they were pulled out of central casting…from the gated community which they live, to what they “fasted”, to the absurd and embarrassing quotes they give, I actually through it was a joke. But nope, these cartoon-characters exist! I hope the grandchildren they don’t have are far more enlightened than this loan officer and manufactured home salesman with all their ridiculous hair and jewelry. You couldn’t ask for a better and more deserved hatchet job because these dopes actually live and breath. Pathetic, disugsting people I will make sure my children never grow up to be.

4. Jimmyboyo says

The milkman

Barring infertility in their offspring, may a couple of their grandkids be gay and teach them to open their freaking minds

5. busytimmy says

And Obama wants to pander to these people via Rick Warren? creating “dialogue” about shared beliefs? Religion is a sham and ecumenical efforts are bullshit as they ignore the mutually exclusive faith claims of these various religions and denominations. They are lucky to have gay hating to rally around, otherwise what would they do? Oh, right, feed the hungry, care for the sick, visit prisoners, care for the widow and orphan…..

6. busytimmy says

7. DCGuy says

I’m so glad that lady gave up watching her soaps to focus on denigrating others. What a supreme sacrifice. I’m sure God is smiling down on her for that.

8. Chris says

“Successful older couple”?!?!…the guy is an ex-con who “saw the light” and makes his money by going around the state of CA speaking about it. The piece is PR for his speaking gigs and I’m surprised the LA Times was taken in by it.

9. says

The two pictures sum the whole thing up beautifully. Putting the Ferrerias in front of a mirror? Brilliant. And the pic of the guys? Can’t help but tug your heart-strings.

10. Guttersnipe says

Did you notice that the Yes on 8 couple organized before the election, and the No on 8 couple got involved after the election? That is partly the problem with our organizing. We need to be more proactive rather than reactive. We have let OTHERS craft our agenda for centuries. It is time we stop talking about who and what we are against, and who and what we are for.

11. Chris in Kansas says

I agree with David. These two guys’ story is so touching and sweet. I hope everything works out for them in the end.

12. GM says

Those slimy bourgeois sheep wouldn’t know Jesus if he came to their crappy gated suburban community home for dinner. Oh — and nice highlights, twat. You look like a collie.

13. Jack M says

That’s right, honey, give up your soaps like a good Christian and use that valuable time to pass judgement on others. Isn’t that what Jesus would want you to do?

Oh wait, sorry, I think it’s “Judge not, let ye be judged.” Oops!

14. says

My own husband and I got choked up when we read the story of Chris and Cody yesterday. In part for their determination to be together before coming to California; in part for their commitment first to each other and now to the cause; in part for the re-stoked anger regarding Prop 8; and in part because we can remember sitting on the floor of our first apartment with no furniture, as a couple of twenty-somethings (twenty-something years ago now), with just a commitment that it would all work out. My best wishes are with them–as well with the couples who now have to wait to take the step that they were able to take in October.

Shame on the L.A. Times for feeling they had to “balance” this story with the Spring Valley couple. At least they put the (bigger) photo of the gay couple at the top of the page and the straight couple below the fold.

15. Ben says

Oh how far the Baby Boomers have fallen and taken our country with them! Ugh. What is it with all of them that they’ve refound the religions they so gladly shucked in decades past? I suppose it’s that fear of death and that need to believe in something next…but does it have to make them so hateful and stupid?

16. says

Hi this is Dave Valk and I’m one of the people planning the upcoming protests… fun times!… As we prepare to take our voices to the marriage license offices, I’d like to get in touch with Cody and Chris. Does anyone have their contact info? Would love to have them included. ALSO, would love to find other young couples who were recently married or would like to get married now. I can be reached at dvalk@ucla.edu or through A Guy Named Dave at http://imdavevalk.blogspot.com

Thanks for the help everyone!

17. nikko says

Christian my ass. More like worldy opportunists. So “Days of Our Lives” constitutes wholesome christian viewing, does it?! Soap Operas are the worst filth that straights watch to reflect their own desperate lives…..ohjesus must be proud of his lovers.