George W. Bush | Iraq | News

Iraqis Erect Statue to Shoe Thrown at Bush

Shoebush

Considering all the bluster from the former administration about its success in Iraq, one might expect the Iraqis to unveil a statue of the American leader who "liberated" them.

Instead, a bronze statue of a shoe has been unveiled in the northern Iraqi city of Tikrit in honor of Muntazer al-Zaidi, the journalist currently imprisoned for throwing his footwear at George W. Bush. An inscription reads: "Muntazer: fasting until the sword breaks its fast with blood; silent until our mouths speak the truth."

The shoe is filled with a plastic shrub.

Said Fatin Abdul Qader, head of the orphanage and children's organisation in the town outside which the shoe monument has been placed: "This statue is the least expression of our appreciation for Muntazer al-Zaidi, because Iraqi hearts were comforted by his throw."

Al-Zaidi's trial has been delayed and his lawyer has been attempting to have the charges reduced.

UPDATE: Shoe statue taken down after request from central government. Said Abdullah Jabara, Salaheddin deputy governor: "We will not allow anyone to use the government facilities and buildings for political motives."

Watch raw AP video of the copper and fiberglass shoe, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. The thumbs-up and smile from that woman is fucking priceless.

Posted by: Yeek | Jan 30, 2009 8:30:40 AM

2. I've been against the war even before it began ... but something like this is just shameful and Iraqis should be embarrassed for it.

Posted by: KFLO | Jan 30, 2009 9:16:49 AM

3. It's pretty important to note the city is Tikrit! What else would you expect from Saddam's clan? Seriously.

Posted by: nun | Jan 30, 2009 9:25:29 AM

4. Nonsense, KFLO. After the horrors of this illegal war that the Iraqis have endured, giving Bush the boot, as it were is right and fitting. If US journalists weren't such lapdogs and were more critical perhaps we wouldn't have been in the war in the first place.

Posted by: Jeff | Jan 30, 2009 9:29:07 AM

5. If KFLO had to live through suicide bombs and American soldiers shooting children, maybe they would understand why not every Iraqi is in love with George Bush.

Posted by: homer | Jan 30, 2009 9:31:44 AM

6. OMG, I nearly spit my pop when I saw this.

Thumbs up from here as well.

Posted by: Jeffrey | Jan 30, 2009 9:41:39 AM

7. ... and as my partner quipped:

"Heel to the Chief."

Posted by: Jeffrey | Jan 30, 2009 10:06:18 AM

8. "...spit my pop..."

JEFFREY, I'm going to spend all day wondering. Midwest folks call soda "pop", right?...oh, ok. Then, I nearly spit my shine.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 30, 2009 10:14:36 AM

9. I agree with KFLO. Both Bush and this war have sucked, but this is dumb.

No, I don't live through suicide bombings and Americans sniping at kids (though I prefer that the latter is a bit of an exaggeration...American soldiers, contrary to what Al-Jazeera, aka Fox News for the Arab World, don't generally use children for target practice).

However, this statue is in Tikrit, home of Saddam's clan, and these were the favored people during Saddam's rule who were often called on to do the dirty work in his government.

Putting up a statue like this in Tikrit is equivalent to putting up a statue of W in Crawford, Texas.

Posted by: Pete | Jan 30, 2009 10:14:40 AM

10. Just 1 shoe? I thought 2 were thrown...

Well, either way, Heell Yes, it's a great concept!

Anyone who can't see the humor and brains behind this is just plain ignorant and rigid. Considering what those poor civilians have endured, good on them to still have a sense of humor about any part of this whole fiasco.

Posted by: Johnny | Jan 30, 2009 10:15:40 AM

11. LOL! Maybe somebody will be dropping the shoe on Bush's house instead of the other way 'round?

Posted by: Eric | Jan 30, 2009 10:22:27 AM

12. I consider myself a reasonably patriotic American who nonetheless loathed Bush & Cheney and what they did to our country and our reputation. This puts me in a quandry, in that I don't like our country being treated as a joke; however, you can't say that Bush hasn't earned some emnity from many of the Iraqui people. And I must admit, putting a shrub--or a bush--in a giant shoe is pretty witty.

Posted by: Dback | Jan 30, 2009 10:29:28 AM

13. The sad thing is that Bush went in there thinking he was liberating them, and they really all hate his guts (probably all our guts).

And when I think of all our tax money his administration spent there when he could have been putting it into our infrastructure and protecting our borders...it just makes me sick.

The whole situation is such a sham and a joke and just dismal.

Posted by: Andy | Jan 30, 2009 11:19:24 AM

14. I have to agree with the minority here. This is pretty infantile. I get it, but I think it's stupid. If it's just a temporary gag it's one thing, but if this is some sort of permanent memorial it's another thing entirely.

As you all rightly point out, this was America's folly gone wrong on so many levels with so many people's lives destroyed. It shouldn't be made into a joke.

Posted by: MT | Jan 30, 2009 11:34:36 AM

15. Pete, I disagree. Bush is loathed by all Iraqis, not just the ones in Tikrit. These people are not erecting a statue of Saddam, they are erecting a monument to resistance to occupation and to speaking truth to power.

Posted by: Jeff | Jan 30, 2009 11:39:33 AM

16. i think it apt that the iraqis erect a monument to a loafer dodging a loafer.

Posted by: nic | Jan 30, 2009 12:21:16 PM

17. Hey Jeff,

I am inclined to agree with you up until a point. What is the resistance? It really depends on who you ask there. The Tikritis had been favored for so long by the Baath regime and were killing so many Kurds and Shiites (the majority) that many non-Sunni Iraqis (and I would presume non-Tikriti Sunnis) would view Tikritis as sort of the ruling class.

I don't see it really as speaking "truth to power." Tikritis for so long *were* the power. And once the Americans leave and (depending on if the Iranians or Sunni Arabs are stronger), the Tikritis or other Sunni allies may find themselves in power again. I don't put much stock in their "resistance to occupation" if many of these people are seeking to replace occupation with another brutal tyranny.

I don't think we Americans were or are liberators in Iraq...we are invaders, fair and square. But I don't think that makes every act of resistance to be "speaking truth to power."

Posted by: Pete | Jan 30, 2009 12:36:56 PM

18. This is a perfect example of satire. And, as was pointed out above, instead of being greeted with flowers, Dubya is ironically greeted with plastic bushes. You'll note that there is no reference to the USA--this is strictly directed at The Monkey. And I applaud it. It's the only avenue open since impeachment was taken off the table and that fool gets to go live in his mansion with his secret service and his presidential annuity.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Jan 30, 2009 12:53:32 PM

19. We really won't know if we are "popular" in Iraq until the troops come home and the Iraqis have only each other to keep company with.

Posted by: anon | Jan 30, 2009 5:06:04 PM