California | Gay Marriage | Mormon | News | Proposition 8 | Tom Hanks

BigGayDeal.com

Tom Hanks Sorry He Called Mormons "Un-American" for Prop 8 Vote

Tom Hanks has apologized for remarks he made last week calling Mormons who voted for Prop 8 "un-American":

Tomhanks"Last week, I labeled members of the Mormon church who supported California's Proposition 8 as 'un-American. I believe Proposition 8 is counter to the promise of our Constitution; it is codified discrimination. But everyone has a right to vote their conscience; nothing could be more American. To say members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints who contributed to Proposition 8 are 'un-American' creates more division when the time calls for respectful disagreement. No one should use 'un- American' lightly or in haste. I did. I should not have."

Hanks made the remarks at the HBO premiere of Big Love, a series centered around a fundamentalist Mormon family that practices polygamy.

Comments

1. Unfortunately, Hanks misses the point here and instead falls into the trap most of the conservative morons who pushed this legislation have set-up. The majority should NEVER vote on the rights of a minority. This isn't a "voteable" issue. But the conservatives would like everyone to believe that GLBT rights imped on everyone else's rights and therefore the majority should have the ability to vote to outlaw pro-GLBT legislation. I was proud of Hanks for his strong words and am disappointed in his reversal.

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Jan 23, 2009 6:08:05 PM

2. Um, yeah. Nice. With all the conviction of a wet egg noodle, Tom Hanks clearly speaks his mind...depending on which way the wind blows. Seems to be blowing pretty hard at Fox News these days. The spin cycle seems to be off-balance again.

Fek.

Posted by: Eric | Jan 23, 2009 6:09:29 PM

3. Oh, Tom. Why apologize for telling the truth. What they did was distinctly un-American. Sadly they like to play the persecuted Christians when they are the persecutors. They buy the California constitution and steal our rights then pretend they are the victims.

Un-American is the least offensive thing one could call them.

Posted by: Buffy | Jan 23, 2009 6:14:27 PM

4. I get his point - if we're going to rational about this, we should label actions and not people. And he made clear his belief about Prop 8. We need to stop attacking everyone who isn't going all militant over these issues. It's not helping.

Posted by: Jay | Jan 23, 2009 6:23:42 PM

5. Why is everybody on a high horse these days? isn't it a little too obvious? too desperate? or am I missing their sincerity?

Posted by: Rafael | Jan 23, 2009 6:41:35 PM

6. Sounds more like his publicist, agent, and manager got flooded by e-mails from mormons and twisted his arm into at least being less confrontational.

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Jan 23, 2009 6:44:20 PM

7. He's an actor...get it?

Posted by: TANK | Jan 23, 2009 6:47:22 PM

8. but they are blanche! they are unamerican!

Posted by: alguien | Jan 23, 2009 7:03:15 PM

9. Must be gearing up to promote a new movie. What's the release date on that Da Vinci Code sequel?

Posted by: Micah J. | Jan 23, 2009 7:10:53 PM

10. So... let's say that thousands of gay men and women spend tens of millions of dollars to promote a law banning the religious practices of Mormons in Utah... and WON!!! Would we say that it was "un-American" to deny tax paying citizens of the US their right to practice the religion of their choice??? You bet we would say that THAT was un-American!! I'm sick of being treated like our lives, our choices, and our pursuit of happiness doesn't matter! Shame on you Tom Hanks! You sell out!!!

Posted by: Jim | Jan 23, 2009 7:18:59 PM

11. "respectful disagreement"?

you got to be fucking kidding me. I guess hanging a black man from a tree in the 50's just needed to be viewed as a "respectful disagreement".

fuck you, hanks

Posted by: victor | Jan 23, 2009 7:33:30 PM

12. How cowardly of him. Let them try to destroy his marriage and see what he says then.

Posted by: Matt | Jan 23, 2009 7:46:49 PM

13. Aah yes, "Angels and Demons" is opening in theaters in a couple of months. He must have got directives from Dir. Ron Howard and Universal Films to apologize.

Posted by: George | Jan 23, 2009 7:50:21 PM

14. He had it right the first time. What the fuck?

Posted by: Sportin' Life | Jan 23, 2009 7:57:10 PM

15. So, Victor, a body swinging from a tree is the same as a nullified marriage license?

Posted by: MAJeff | Jan 23, 2009 8:02:16 PM

16. Sadly enough, many bright & (dare I say) worldly Latter Day Saints I met in Washington, DC, during my young life after law school 20 years ago were inquisitive, compassionate, funny & engaged in life without trying to impose their "exclusive" beliefs on me as their friend. It was evident that I was one of those "newly open" gay guys who clerked for federal judges. Nonetheless, my introduction to the family values of LDS believers, whom I actually relished as non-judgmental and truly affectionate friends, seemed to outshine the values of my own Roman Catholic Irish/Italian family that couldn't have been happier that I moved miles away from them, from my hometown.
    So much has changed since then as to maliciously intended cultural wars. Was it transformed to hide the plain fact that Mormons are not, and never will be, Christians in any sense that Christian theology ever since the time of the Romans has described? Jesus is just a name, oftentimes given to innumerable ordinary Hispanic men. The adept LDS Advertising Agencies who assisted the LDS Church become more "mainstream" some time ago suggested emphasizing in much larger print the "hook” of the renown name of "Jesus Christ" in the logo of this cult that believes "their" Jesus is the live, "flesh & blood" brother of Satan residing on another planet in some adjacent sector of the Universe, copulating endlessly with innumerable virgins to send "Spirit Babies" to Earth to inhabit our hapless corporal human bodies. It’s almost as entertaining a yarn as Hubbard's Scientology fiction, huh? Well, what they both share as a fundamental tenet is that faggots & lezzies are an ultimate threat to their "transcendence" into multitudinous individual Godheads! If someone stood between you & your goal of being GOD, how irrelevant would you render his or her mere "humanity", huh? We're talking GODHOOD here. Go to hell all of you queer obstacles! Even if you're our own flesh & blood brothers & sisters, die. You die; go to hell & die, as Mr. Garrison might put it! Would that all theologians, earnest or otherwise, were required to watch South Park to see how truly hypocritical are all self-righteous self-promoters.

Posted by: Retired Tom | Jan 23, 2009 8:04:30 PM

17. George, I agree with you. He has a movie coming out and I am assuming that the studio must have told his publicist to retract what he had said earlier. I am not defending his retraction, it is disappointing but let us not forget that Tom Hanks has been a great advocate of our community with films like Philadelphia, his acceptance speech when he won for Philadelphia, and more importantly, Splash.

Posted by: ChadSF | Jan 23, 2009 8:52:22 PM

18. maybe he should just call them "unchristian" although I don't know if lds recognizes Jesus...

Posted by: bozemanmontana | Jan 23, 2009 8:55:45 PM

19. Hey there, BOZEMANMONTANA!
    My previous post about the LDS's "Jesus" is not just a humorous conjecture on my part. Although LDS folks say Jesus is the Son of God, what they mean differs from mainstream Christianity in that Jesus is not God as part of a Trinity. The "real" (and only) God is about nine feet tall, has many physically existing sons, including Satan (as well as our familiar "JC" of Christmas & Easter fame) who sit at His table on this planet (I think it's called Elion, or some such name) welcoming all of the Brand New LDS Mini-Gods who arrive back from Earth after ridding themselves of all those nasty Earthen ways, like loving & supporting your gay children as much as your straight ones! Really, honest, swear on my belovedly funny & brilliant Mom's grave! It’s a 19th century version of Scientology, without a doubt. This Joseph Smith guy was actually convicted of fraud on numerous occasions for faking checks & the discovery of gold by "divining" it. He was a charlatan looking for adulation, and his followers used to be slaughtered by real Christians (Catholics in the forefront of their persecution) for their bogus blasphemies. Nowadays, however, to distract the masses from the male & female rape of children by 100's of Roman Catholic priests, the Roman Church has jumped into bed with the Wing Nuts to hide their multi-million dollar fines for organized pedophilia, as far up in the "Church" as this Cardinal Ratzinger guy who now goes by the name of Pope Benedict, who has personally protected his longtime French priestly friend who has been charged with the rape of dozens of underage minors! You just can't invent fiction as twisted as this tragic truth. Oh how I wish that their version of hell really does exist, only to someday see them all there either as fellow eternal inmates, or the warming coals keeping my celestial toes toasty in the lofty clouds.

Posted by: Retired Tom | Jan 23, 2009 9:46:52 PM

20. Members of the GLBT community are considered "un-American" for expecting equal rights. Creating a sub-class is a Christian and American thing to do? Voting against Prop 8 was the right thing to do?

Posted by: 2nd Class Citizen | Jan 23, 2009 10:06:30 PM

21. Please check out this prop 8 video. It's really funny, but also points out the yes on 8 ads and their views! Thanks and pass it around to keep it alive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO9C9EG_btA

Posted by: Justin Kornmann | Jan 23, 2009 10:53:41 PM

22. Tom Hanks is a dork -- always was, always will be. This manufactured actor "everyone should love" has reconsidered his self-aggrandizing moralizing. How market savvy of him. How come he didn't blame California's black voters for voting against gay marriage overwhelmingly? Statistically it's proven African-Americans overwhelmingly voted against it and that's a fact. An Obamanation?

Posted by: Dyke 1 | Jan 23, 2009 11:05:20 PM

23. "codified discrimination" = "respectful disagreement"

ugh

Posted by: JohnInManhattan | Jan 23, 2009 11:31:03 PM

24. Yes, I get it. Organized religion gets to act politically and never have to consider the consequences. It's their special right, the conscience utterly conscience-free. We have to respect them for attacking other people. Ain't that America!

Posted by: Glenn I | Jan 24, 2009 12:49:49 AM

25. Retired Tom, with all the respect in the world that I can muster, you are totally off base when it comes to Mormon theology. You have no idea what you are talking about, so you should stop talking about it.

I disagree with the position that the Mormon Church takes regarding gay marriage, and I am sad and angry that they participated in the defeat of prop 8, but come on, vilifying them doesn't get us anywhere. It feeds their persecution complex and it just makes everyone else dig their heels in. We, of all communities know how fundamental and powerful a persecution complex can be.

I understand everyone's anger, but enough already. There are more constructive ways to deal with conflict.

Posted by: Glass Houses | Jan 24, 2009 1:35:20 AM