Activism | California | Gay Marriage | News | Proposition 8

BigGayDeal.com

NY Denies Gay Couples Marriage Licenses as Nationwide Demos Begin

Freedomtomarry

Nationwide demonstrations surrounding Freedom to Marry week kicked off today as couples in New York staged protests following requests for marriage licenses at state offices:

Freedomtomarry3"Micah Stanek, 23, stood outside in a floor-length wedding veil after he and his partner were rejected. He said he moved to New York from San Francisco after gay marriage was outlawed in California on the November ballot. 'New York is especially important because the rest of the country follows what happens here,' he said. Outside the bureau, protesters sang 'Love and Marriage' and chanted, 'What do we want? Marriage! When do we want it? Now!' One man held a sign that read: 'Love your husband? Let me love mine!' The protests, part of the 12th annual Freedom to Marry Week, were considered more important than ever this year because they come in the wake of California's Proposition 8 vote that overturned gay marriage and just as New Yorkers look to their state Senate to pass legislation that could lead to legalized gay marriage. Some of the largest gatherings were expected in California, where the state's Supreme Court will hear oral arguments March 5 over whether to restore California same-sex marriages. The court could render a decision as early as June."

Full list of demos HERE.

Freedom to Marry Week will culminate in a rally on February 16th at the California state capitol in Sacramento and Equality California Lobby Day on the 17th, a day of coordinated advocacy and activism.

And if you missed it last week, I've reposted the Courage Campaign's "Fidelity" video, which is a must-watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Freedomtomarry2

Comments

1. 23?!?! NO ONE, straight or gay, should be married at 23!

Posted by: jeffreychrist | Feb 12, 2009 12:32:13 PM

2. Always a bridesmaid, never a bride.

Posted by: David D. | Feb 12, 2009 12:32:48 PM

3. Looking at these pictures I can't help to notice that one guy is wearing a wedding dress? and you expect people to take you seriously? until we get the freaks out of this important issue we will not get the same rights. Dressing like a bride? really? if you are a guy marrying a guy....dress like a guy!!!!!

Posted by: Eric | Feb 12, 2009 12:47:19 PM

4. Yay! Gender police!

Posted by: MAJeff | Feb 12, 2009 12:57:14 PM

5. "Micah Stanek, 23, stood outside in a floor-length wedding veil...."

MEMO TO Fred Phelps, James Dobson, Traditional Values Coalition, American Family Association, Rick Warren, Ann Coulter, and other professional homohaters of all stripes: stop wasting your time, your money, your breath. We have enough idiots in our community doing your work for you that all you need do is watch from the comfort of your caves and laugh.

Posted by: Leland Frances | Feb 12, 2009 1:02:25 PM

6. Why, God why is he wearing a wedding dress?

Posted by: Nick | Feb 12, 2009 1:03:05 PM

7. "Micah Stanek, 23, stood outside in a floor-length wedding veil...."..."gender police!"

Posted by: Leland Frances | Feb 12, 2009 1:03:47 PM

8. If we expect the rest of the country to take us seriously on marriage then we have to stop morons dressing up in gowns and veils. This is the silly image that will sticking in peoples minds, not a stable, functioning picture of a loving couple. What morons!

Posted by: Bryn | Feb 12, 2009 1:05:59 PM

9. Personally, I could care less what he wears for his own ceremony, but wedding dresses have a lot of symbolic importance to some of those people whose minds we could potentially change, and STUNTS like this are not helping. If he was really interested in gaining rights and not merely making a statement he'd have had some dignity. Gender police has nothing to do with it. SMART POLITICKING is what it's all about, people. Why purposely piss off people when you want their votes?

Posted by: Jamie | Feb 12, 2009 1:08:07 PM

10. I wonder why they aren't even friends on Facebook...

Posted by: [/Stalker] | Feb 12, 2009 1:11:04 PM

11. Oh sure, it's easy to carp about a guy in a wedding dress from in front of your computer screens but the question still remains, why weren't any of you at 1 Centre St. or your own local marriage license bureaus today?

Posted by: Bading | Feb 12, 2009 1:18:28 PM

12. "NOTE: Jeremy at Good as You points out that there is a link for the anti-gay Family Research Council at the bottom of the afore-linked AP article. Why??"

Because the AP has become the new home for neoconservative thought. It became particularly apparent durind last years elections. The Associated Press now has a Fox News-like slant.

Posted by: Elsewhere | Feb 12, 2009 1:22:15 PM

13. You neglect to mention how many people were at this event. My personal experience is that not many people show up for these performance pieces masquerading as "rights rallies". The news crews and a couple of photographers come out and basically see no one there which means the next time it becomes really hard for an organized demonstration to get the vital media that is needed to move the process forward.

I'm not knocking these guys, but, if they had planned it out maybe someone could have advised against the veil which is all anyone noticed.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Feb 12, 2009 1:22:38 PM

14. Oh, yeah! Sure! Wear a wedding veil and mock the very straight people we would like to get on our side in our fight for civil equality. That picture will be surely be reprinted in every fund-raising letter that our enemies will send out to rally the "base" and raise MILLIONS of dollars for their side. Some gays just don't get it and, in their effort to be oh-so-cute and fabulous, end up hurting us all. Thanks alot, asshole!

Posted by: mike | Feb 12, 2009 1:24:28 PM

15. Andy:

I just have to say something.

Towelroad is one of my favorite blogs but you REALLY dropped the Ball with this announcement and post. The information about this event has been out for weeks. So today ON THE DAY it happens you do a story about it.

BOTH you and Queerty which are amongst the most populay gay blogs haven't said JACKSHIT about today's event till now when its almost over.

That really didn't help it.

Posted by: Jeff | Feb 12, 2009 1:32:22 PM

16. Um, it saddens me you are all complaining about the veil.

Get over yourselves and stop being so apologetic to the straights. While wearing a dress and a veil is far from my idea of an ideal wedding outfit, what we're fighting for is the right of two consenting adults to enter into committed partnership.

Additionally, this is NYC not BumSquat, Idaho. I'm glad we still have some "freaks" around . . . it's why I moved here.

And I totally agree with Bading.

Posted by: Alex | Feb 12, 2009 2:33:26 PM

17. What I want to know is why are there so many gay rights groups that seem to not be able to coordinate anything with one another?
    I went to all the gay rights group sites that I could think of in Salt Lake City and found NOTHING in their calendars about this event. Even PFLAG who is affiliated with the Marriage Equality USA site has NOTHING posted in there calendar of events about a rally for today.
    It is frustrating to think that I make donations to these gay rights groups and they cannot seem to keep you informed about what is going on.
    How are we supposed to keep momentum going when so little (or hard to find) information is available about events like this?
    I love this blog, but agree. Ball dropped.

Posted by: donoso | Feb 12, 2009 2:47:52 PM

18. Get over the veil. Isn't this all about Live and Let Live, anyway?

There were only about, I'd say, 100 people there this morning. I think, sadly, gay rights groups need to start joining forces with the facebook "Join the Impact" viral movement.

Posted by: Jesse Archer | Feb 12, 2009 3:00:28 PM

19. I love the video!

It's just so classic that Ken Starr, who was originally appointed to be a neutral special prosecutor has turned up again as an evil-doer.

Posted by: David R. | Feb 12, 2009 4:27:20 PM

20. Jeff, I completely agree with you. I did drop the ball on this one. Blame fully accepted. I'm not sure if it was a function of just being too distracted or the fact that after the Prop 8 protests groups have splintered into so many different factions all with their own agendas screaming for the attention of this blogger that somehow my focus got lost. I wish I would have written something up on it a week ago. Maybe I need an intern to sort through the hundreds of emails that come in to me each day, but I should have been more on top of this.

Posted by: andy | Feb 12, 2009 4:31:53 PM

21. Andy has been doing a tremendous job of growing The Road into a site that is more steak than sizzle so give him a break. It's a COMMUNITY site, not a Big Apple bulletin board and I dare say that 99% of those who would have been genuinely interested in coming to this event are already linked in with local groups whose job it IS to publicize such things.

Alas, Miss "This Is About ME ME ME!" in the veil has only had her narcissism rewarded by having two different pictures of herself posted here.

Posted by: Leland Frances | Feb 12, 2009 6:01:32 PM

22. Andy, thanks for doing as much as you do. I am constantly amazed at the amount of news and fluff (Lance Bass! I'm obsessed!) you guys manage to put up every day. I always refer every group I'm involved with to Towleroad. I'm always surprised when someone says they don't know about you as I think Towleroad is the best site on the "Internets" (along with Autoblog).

Guys, check out Meetup.com for groups in your area. We just had a protest which is getting hourly play on the news here in Las Vegas (Chan 13 especially!).

The Las Vegas Meetup addy is:http://www.meetup.com/LVequality/

Posted by: Derek Washington | Feb 12, 2009 9:54:29 PM

23. I have to agree about the vail. Do I personally care what the guy wears? Nope. Is this what I want posted all over the place when it comes to us getting equal rights? Nope. A guy wearing a vail is all people are going to remember if they see it.

Posted by: Kristoffer | Feb 13, 2009 6:16:45 PM