News | Playing Gay | Television

Gay Bedroom Action Snuck into 24

24a

I received a small flurry of mail about the final moment's of last night's 24. I don't watch 24 regularly, but our reader Patrick filled me in on some of the plot points.

Possible SPOILERS, AFTER THE JUMP...

24b

Patrick writes: "It is kind of tough to explain...but I will do my best. The President's (Cherry Jones) tricky daughter Olivia contacted a former political operative she used to help her squash a story back when her mother was running for President. This guy will most likely coordinate or do the assassination of one of the President's foes (who killed the Presidents son)....Insert the theme from Soap."

Patrick says he thinks there was a lesbian couple on the show at some point and recalls a gay plotline in 2005 when the Defense Secretary's son had a one-night stand with a man linked to a terrorist.

So I guess this scene seems very nonchalant at this point. If it's not, then that's news for the viewers of 24. If it is, then it's news for inclusiveness on network TV.

24c

Comments

1. I believe in the very first 2 hour episode of 24, there was a lesbian scene (brief kiss) with a female baddie operative (whatever you want to call them).

Posted by: mak136 | Apr 28, 2009 10:39:33 AM

2. So are the gays on 24 always baddies?

Posted by: Carl | Apr 28, 2009 11:05:48 AM

3. There is no such word as SNUCK

Posted by: Ben in Oakland | Apr 28, 2009 11:06:16 AM

4. I honestly think casual scenes like this one help quite a bit. Activism wins over a lot of people, but for the idiots who always think we gays "flaunt" everything, this sort of subtle stuff reaches them quickly. They can't point out any specific problem they have with the scene without realizing how stupid they sound.

Posted by: Billy | Apr 28, 2009 11:16:45 AM

5. Usage note:
    First recorded in writing toward the end of the 19th century in the United States, snuck has become in recent decades a standard variant past tense and past participle of the verb sneak : Bored by the lecture, he snuck out the side door. Snuck occurs frequently in fiction and in journalistic writing as well as on radio and television: In the darkness the sloop had snuck around the headland, out of firing range. It is not so common in highly formal or belletristic writing, where sneaked is more likely to occur. Snuck is the only spoken past tense and past participle for many younger and middle-aged persons of all educational levels in the U. S. and Canada. Snuck has occasionally been considered nonstandard, but it is so widely used by professional writers and educated speakers that it can no longer be so regarded.

Posted by: 24 | Apr 28, 2009 11:44:40 AM

6. 'There is no such word as SNUCK'

Too right. As a Brit, I'm holding out for snekt or snukt to join dreamt, knelt, learnt and burnt. The campaign starts here.

Posted by: Midland | Apr 28, 2009 11:48:32 AM

7. Does the phrase "Tool" mean anything to anyone?

I mean just look at how high the glbt community can jump...

Posted by: ED2 | Apr 28, 2009 12:01:04 PM

8. I wouldn't consider this guy a bad guy. He is being asked to kill a really bad guy b/c the really bad guy is being given a "get out of jail free card" for information. I would do the same thing if the really bad guy killed my brother and I had the ability to take the prick out.

Jack's tirade with Garafallo's character was great last night. Wonder if it was a Fox statement about her Uber-liberal real life positions.

Posted by: Jason | Apr 28, 2009 12:10:07 PM

9. Regarding usage notes in dictionaries:

These are generally far more permissive than, say, an editor's style book. The word "snuck" is still frowned upon in most professional writing for any serious publication.

I find it amusing that people will decry this position as stuffy or pedantic for words like "snuck," but no one ever goes to bat for "ain't." The reasoning is EXACTLY the same in every way, but no one expects or hopes that "ain't" will show up in everyday professional writing.

Posted by: Meanwhile | Apr 28, 2009 12:16:23 PM

10. Does the word 'sarcasm' mean anything to anyone?

Posted by: Midland | Apr 28, 2009 12:18:02 PM

11. I stopped watching this show when Jack Bauer's daughter was eaten by a mountain lion.

But this scene looks pretty hot. Gay assassins... we really are everywhere.

Posted by: crispy | Apr 28, 2009 12:38:03 PM

12. Well....who'd of thunk?

Posted by: Glynn | Apr 28, 2009 12:38:30 PM

13. If "24" wants to say there's gay assassins available, I'm all for it. We need more gay assassins to take care of the homophobes who keep keep beating and killing us them blaming us for being beaten and killed. And that's not to mention those in the legal fields who enable this sort of crap (cops, lawyers, judges), and the hate-mongers who use us to keep their hate-mongering relevant and ram through laws to take away what few rights we do have. If anybody's got their phone number...

Posted by: Kyle Sullivan | Apr 28, 2009 1:17:50 PM

14. @ KYLE SULLIVAN: sshhhh. Loose lips....

Posted by: David R. | Apr 28, 2009 2:27:24 PM

15. @Glynn: I believe the proper usage is "who'd've"...I mean, consult your Funk and Wagnall's, for chrissakes... ;)

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Apr 28, 2009 5:08:26 PM

16. Right, Andalusian. And ``thunk`` is not the past tense of ``think,`` Glynn. I believe it`s ``thinked.``

Posted by: GregV | Apr 28, 2009 8:08:48 PM

17. I think he meant "thought".

Posted by: Australiasian | Apr 28, 2009 9:35:16 PM

18. Who's the guy in the background doinging the snuggling? He looks delicious from what we can see in those caps.

Posted by: stephen k | Apr 28, 2009 9:56:21 PM

19. Two words: Gay Agenda!

//runs away and squees

Posted by: ryank | Apr 29, 2009 7:52:13 AM

20. "snuck" is too a word. It's an Americanism that has become increasingly prevalent with each generation. "snuck" is past tense and past participle of "sneak," replacing "sneaked."

This looks fun. Haven't watched 24 because Keifer Sutherland was such an unstoppable cokehead a-hole while in Denver, and I decided to skip him.

Does anyone know if the film incarnation of the British miniseries STATE OF PLAY has the gay characters?

Posted by: SteveDenver | Apr 29, 2009 2:27:08 PM

21. Oh I love you guys..............Laugh? I nearly shat m'self.

Posted by: Glynn | Apr 29, 2009 3:10:06 PM

22. I'm sure everyone has moved on by now, but I just saw the position that other guy is in. What arms correspond with each man? Is the second guy leaning on his elbow? Ouch ouch ouch.

Posted by: K | Apr 29, 2009 6:23:51 PM

23. oh god... you know, personally I think that what Ben was trying to say was that it was done on purpose, not saying that the word doesn't exist.

I personally don't really care whether it was put there in purpose or not. so they're both guys. and they're both in bed together. who cares? they're both human after all.

Posted by: KC | Nov 17, 2009 12:13:32 AM