"Ex-Gays" | Catholic Church | News | Uganda

BigGayDeal.com

Gay 'Witch Hunt' on in Uganda as Catholic Priest, Others Named

The "ex-gay" group in Uganda which last week held a press conference to announce they were "declaring war" on homosexuality, has named a hospital worker, a European ex-pat, and a Catholic priest and gospel singer as gay:

Musaala "Paul Kagaba, who says he was a homosexual for eight years, told a press conference in Kampala that Musaala, a gospel music award-winner, regularly holds parties for gays at his residence in Gayaza near Kampala.  He was speaking at the press conference which was held at the anti-gay crusader, Pastor Martin Ssempa’s Redeemed Church at Makerere. In attendance was another self-confessed reformed homosexual, George ‘Georgina’ Oundo, and Pastor Solomon Male, an anti-gay activist."

Musaala defended himself: "Whatever they say, I am not gay and I will never be gay. I am only a minister of the Roman Catholic Church. es, I have a private house in Gayaza. It is a beautiful house with gardens and I host there different kinds of parties. Different groups of people, especially those from my church, Old Kampala, also come for prayer and retreats. Basically, I use my house for prayers and retreats. I don’t know why people say these are gay parties. Many people make such accusations. This is neither the first nor the last. Let them say what they want. I will challenge the accusations as they come."

More from Box Turtle Bulletin, including reports that the group's leader George Oundo, "converted" to heterosexuality for financial gain.

Comments

1. I know living in an atmosphere of terror is nothing new to Uganda, but....ugh, how awful. Very sad.

Posted by: JT | Apr 1, 2009 9:55:45 AM

2. I don't see how Oxfam can ask for a 'bailout' of hundreds of billions of dollars for these ignorant idiots. Any aid to Africa should be linked to social advancement. No amount of money can lift someone out of poverty if they stay in the same stone age mindset.

Posted by: MT | Apr 1, 2009 10:11:25 AM

3. "Any aid to Africa should be linked to social advancement. No amount of money can lift someone out of poverty if they stay in the same stone age mindset."

I agree with you, MT, except with the phrase "the same stone age mindset". That didn't stop us from giving aid to Alabama or Scanton Pennsylvania.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 1, 2009 10:16:46 AM

4. MT : I suppose any aid to African countries has to be considered carefully, because there's so much corruption that often it's stolen or wasted by authorities (different countries probably vary, though). But that should be the rule with giving aid to anything. Even in the U.S. you have to be damn careful who you give donations to.

Posted by: JT | Apr 1, 2009 11:11:33 AM

5. Aid to Africa has failed to produce any positive change in these countries. It just made it easier for tin horn dictators to stay afloat.

Posted by: Attmay | Apr 1, 2009 11:32:20 AM

6. This is the one of the sickest and most twisted tragegies in the international LGBT community.
    You must visit gayuganda.blogspot.com and show this blogger some love.

Friday night the Murrieta Temecula Republican Assembly is hosting Scott Lively, an American bigot who has stirred the pot in Uganda, where, frankly, there are much GREATER issues. When I find out the location (changed again) of the Lively event, I will blog it. We should shame these jerks.

Posted by: Brian | Apr 1, 2009 11:52:12 AM

7. Firstly, look at the Sudan. Look at AIDS statistics. And also remember that there's a modern-day slave trade of children from country to country in Africa. UNICEF reports it's over 100,000 children sold into slavery each day. It's a mind-boggling statistic, but it should explain why there's not more international outrage against Uganda's treatment of homosexuals. Ideally, the quality of mercy shouldn't be strained, and no tragedy should negate attention to any other, but for much of the Western World it's other African troubles that take precedence over gays in Uganda.

Posted by: JT | Apr 1, 2009 12:45:07 PM

8. correction: "each day" should be "each year."

Posted by: JT | Apr 1, 2009 12:46:31 PM

9. They had this on Joe.My.God a week ago and I'm still so upset I don't know what I'd do if one of these asshole bigots showed up on my doorstep (I live in close proximity to a few mega-fundie-baptist churches). I am in no mood for missionaries.

Posted by: Wheezy | Apr 1, 2009 2:50:48 PM

10. Anyone merely accused of homosexuality in this environment will be guilty as charged. And what will the punishment be? Or more importantly, who will the punishers be?
    How not difficult it is to imagine yet another African blood bath instigated by American evangelism. The crimes against humanity only get bigger. One at last can only wonder, wonder indeed, what Jesus would have done. Jesus no doubt wonders the same. Who can speak or act for these people without making their plight worse?

Posted by: TRAVELER | Apr 2, 2009 12:07:55 AM