Joel Osteen ‘Not Knocking’ Gays, But They Shouldn’t Get Marriage

KING: Iowa Supreme Court just allowed same-sex marriage, making them the
third state; Massachusetts, Iowa and Hawaii. The general forecast is
that's coming. Other people are now saying, why not make
marriage a religious institution, and have the state bonding that the
non-marriage state issue. So we can have two kinds of getting together.

J. OSTEEN: I'm not sure I understand —

KING: In other words, if you want to be married and you're both
religious, go to your church. If you want to be bonded together and you
don't want to call it marriage, go on down to the civil servant office.

J. OSTEEN: I don't know if —

KING: The state will not marry you.

J. OSTEEN: Sure. I guess my thing, Larry, is I just like the definition
of marriage to be between a man and a woman. So it sounds like you're
saying something different.

KING: Well, it still would, except the state wouldn't perform it.

J. OSTEEN: Well —

KING: You could perform it.

V. OSTEEN: It would be called something else. It would be called partnering or something.

KING: By the state.

V. OSTEEN: Yeah.

KING: If the religious institution — I'm just throwing this out.

J. OSTEEN: Sure.

KING: Do you think, though, the other side is coming, that eventually
many more states are going to allow same sex marriage?

J.
OSTEEN: You know, I don't know where it's all going, but again, I just
— it's my desire that we keep the family unit, the basis of our
society — I'd love to see it stay between a male and a female, not
knocking anybody else. But I'm not sure where it's all going.

KING: If this continues, do you think it will harm things? Supposing
there were more states that had it. What would be the harm?

V.
OSTEEN: Again, you know what? We really want to see marriage between a
man and a woman. There is going to be people who get together and have
relationships and have what they call their families. But I just think
marriage should be sanctified by the church. It should be between a man
and a woman. But yeah, I mean they're doing it today.

KING:
The proposal is if that should happen, sanctified by the church, the
state shouldn't be in the marriage business. That was the other
proposal. Why should the state be — just throwing it out there.

J. OSTEEN: I don't know if I'm 100 percent clear on it all. But I
guess, Larry, we come back to that — will it undermine the basis of
society? I don't know. I think that — I know God's best is for a male
and a female to have a marriage and raise their family. It doesn't
always happen, but I believe that's much better.

KING: Should a gay couple be allowed to adopt?

J. OSTEEN: Well, I think that again, it's best for a male and a female.
I can't say — I'm not saying that gay people aren't good people. And —

KING: Or good parents.

J. OSTEEN. Yeah, exactly. But again, I like to shoot for God's best,
and that is a father and a mother in the home. It doesn't always
happen. I know a lot of people raised by single parents. And you know
what? We bless them and pray for them as well. but I think God's best
is a male and female.

Comments

1. alex in boston says

I am shocked! Larry King is a former JESUIT and the fact that neither he nor Joel understand Marriage laws at all! First off Marriage in America IS A CIVIL PRIVILEGE, the state gives it approbation through the issuance of a CIVIL MARRIAGE LICENSE – the contract which states two parties have met the LEGAL requirements to enter into a Marriage! THEN AND ONLY THEN (after the state approves and issues the license) can 2 people go to their religious institution and have a Marriage ceremony!! The other option is have a CIVIL SERVICE performed by a Justice of the Peace or other civil servant designated to lawfully perform MARRIAGE Ceremonies!! Folks – In America MARRIAGE has always been a CIVIL Event and in fact point of interest, in the early days of the Pilgrims settling into the New Land they OUTLAWED RELIGIOUS MARRIAGE ALTOGETHER for several years!!!

2. Alfred says

Another in-the-closet fag. Poor wife. Mark my word – Ted Haggard should recruit him!

3. Suzel says

Anyone else get the feeling that Victoria is the smart one in the Osteen marriage…and probably reviews his books red pen in hand.

4. tjc says

“There is going to be people who get together and have relationships and have what they call their families.”

What they CALL their families?

No. We _ARE_ families.

Fuck you and your sanctimonious bullshit.

5. says

Well… at least his limited rhetoric is “I’d like to see…” vs. ‘It MUST be this way’.

I can’t get over the Stepford-esque expression plastered across the face of that wife of his. Is she smiling or is she worried?

6. arbitron says

Joel, I’m not knocking oppressive religions but your church shouldn’t get tax exemptions. Gays aren’t god’s best? Neither is your wife’s hair color (definitely not natural either). The bible explicitly condemns divorce – how many marriages has Larry had at this stage? And yet you’re palling around with him. Hyp-oc-ris-y…

7. Jim In Detroit says

Thanks Alex in Boston. In Michigan, at the end of the religious marriage ceremony, I’ve always heard the priest/preacher say, something along the lines of “by the powers vested in me by the state, I pronounce you man and wife.” How would people feel if all marriages, for governmental purposes, were returned to City Hall, and the church ceremony was a 2nd run option? I don’t think the Osteens and their ilk would take to that well.

8. says

Well, this interview wasn’t too bad considering the kind of rhetoric we’ve been subjected to in recent months. At least he says that marriage and adoption with man and women is best, IN GODS EYES. That is a religious belief and not factual. People can have their bigoted religious beliefs all they want so long as they aren’t culminated into fruition as we saw with prop 8 and other bans.

9. tjc says

Alex — except that there are religions that have marriage with requirements that differ from those of the state. Some churches and temples have been marrying gay and lesbian couples for years. No direct legal benefits (except in places with marriage equality), but all the religious benefits you get with any other marriage. So no, a state-issued marriage license is NOT a requirement for a religious marriage, just as the parallel is not either: you do not need a religious marriage in order to be married in the eyes of the state. They are completely, utterly, and profoundly different institutions. And many people — gay, straight, believers and non, lawmakers and priests — get confused by.

10. tjc says

Jim — some religious leaders are refusing to issue civil marriage licenses for anyone in their congregation until marriage equality is achieved in their state. Not too many of these folks, but some. So the happy couple goes to City Hall either before or after the religious ceremony to complete the legal paperwork.

Because they’re two different components of most weddings: the religious ceremony and the state paperwork overlap in one convenient event.

If the two parts were, well, _divorced_, it’d be a pain, but you already need to go down to city hall for the license application in the first place, so what’s a 2nd trip? :-)

11. jessejames says

When Joel Osteen hesitates I can see the wheels turning, what is the best thing to say to make the most money???

I think he is an MF, married faggot. Like Ted Haggard. Like so many religious “leaders.” Who do they “lead” anyway? There are so many airheads in America and guys like Osteen keep blowing hot air into them. Oh, well, it’s a living.

12. Island Girly says

Poor confused thing. Doesn’t have a clue. Apparently King doesn’t either. What is wrong with the woman? Lithium maybe? She sits there like a Barbie doll.

13. David in Houston says

I would love for these arrogant doofuses to explain how gay marriage is a bigger threat than the 50% of straight marriages ending in divorce? …or women getting knocked up and their boyfriends/husbands leaving them …or husbands cheating on their wives?

Larry asked him: “If this (gay marriage) continues, do you think it will harm things?” I noticed that Joel didn’t answer the question. All he said was that he wanted marriage to be between a man and a woman. I’m surprised that he didn’t say that Jebus will cry.

14. Disgusted American says

Osteen is another SLICK charleton..OUT to Bamboozle nitwits out of thier money with promises of Gods love….this assholes who give him thier money are nitwits. Look at him in his $1000 suit..and her in her designer clothes..he can go Fuck himself…and I’d tell him persoanlly IF I ever saw him in person.

15. says

First off…I thought Hawaii lost gay marriage? Am I wrong?

Anyway…taking “marriage” out of the state is the way it always should have been. Religion can have the word “marriage”, but make all state sanctioned unions between two people possible regardless of gender. All that needs to be done is replace the marriage license with some kind of a civil union contract where both parties need only sign. The union becomes legal at the signing of the contract like most all civil documents. If the couple then wishes to have a religious or non-religious ceremony, then that’s their own business.

There’s a reason why a religious marriage needs a wedding license. That is to make the marriage legal to the state. There is no reason why the state needs to have marriage ceremony to become legal.

The only reason I think the word “marriage” should be changed for civil ceremonies is because many religious people who oppose same sex marriage are too retarded to understand the word “marriage” doesn’t belong to them and can’t comprehend what a civil marriage is, as the guy being interviewed by King obviously proves. So, let them keep their word and offer equal rights to everyone.

16. patricklehman says

this exhange was disappointing, because I like Osteen’s ‘power of positive thinking’ message. He’s pro-prosperity, and on his shows is not a money grabber. But he is not as simple as he pretends to be; so he is basically trying to not “knock the gays” but still towing the line of his christianist base. It was a cowardly display, and I have lost a lot of respect for him.
    His sweet, naive, country boy demeanor fell flat on it’s face in this exchange, he is a calculating politician, and not our friend.

17. jimmyboy says

Alex in Boston

You are thinking of John Mclaughlin as the former jesuit.

Larry king is Jewish.

Being as old as dirt, I wouldn’t be surprised if Larry king has outdated notions/ myths about homosexuality, but it isn’t from being a former jesuit

:-)

—————————-

Joel Olsteen

– was handed his congregation/ ministry from his father. Didn’t create shit

– the stadium that he uses for his church is owned by HOUSTON and in a sweatheart deal the guy only pays $288,889 a month / 30 year lease to rent it. That amount of square footage in Houston = much much much higher average rental rate

– Olsteen’s main preaching themes are

————– give him money

————- think positively

That is it. No crosses, no mention of God or jeeebus. A schister who saw an opening in the over crowded motivational speaker circuit by tailoring the feel goody stuff to church people who stayed away from motivational speakers.

– the home of the olsteen’s is a HUGE!!!!!!! mansion (no prob except he claims to be a preacher and is judging other people) owns a private jet

A scam artist but hasn’t been caught YET!!! toe tapping in a bathroom or snorting cocaine

18. Marty says

He has the good business sense to dress up whatever prejudice he has in inexact phrases and swath it in seeming compassion. Brilliant! He offends no-one (supposedly) while still shilling for “God’s best”. Could be worse, better smarmy like this than outright hateful. At least with this one wonders what he really thinks when he is off the pulpit ‘cos gays write donation checks just as much as little old knitting ladies do.

19. says

Why would we care that someone whose ministry is based on the theory that God wants you to be rich thinks that we are immoral? Fuck that greedy smarmy bastard.

20. says

Whoa, dim and dimmer in that conversation. The state is required for legally binding marriage in the US, the church is not. The church has no right to own the word “marriage,” and we should not give it to them, particularly at this important civil rights juncture. Once gay couples are allowed to marry, then we can talk about whether the state should be granting marriage or union licenses. But, you know what, straight people–even non-religious ones–aren’t going to be giving up the word “marriage” till hell freezes over. If we agree to hand marriage over to the churches now, we will lock ourselves into 2nd class citizenship and straight people will remain the 1st class citizens. We need to make the distinction between civil and religious marriage because people are thick. But we should be fighting for civil marriage equality, nothing less. It has happened in IA and VT this week. It’s not impossible.

21. declan says

Lary King doesn’t seem to know shit from applebutter. As for the Olsteen’s, it’s about money and little else. America needs to grow up and quit paying these fakers for bullshit.

22. Will says

You would think Larry King could afford a fact checker. Hawaii had and lost marriage and now issues domestic partnerships. Connecticut (and now Vermont) should have been on his list of states with marriage equality.

23. Mike says

As I watched the interview unfold last night, the most persistent thought that ran through my mind was that Olsteen, as well as Rick Warren, are just a more obsequious versions of Robertson and Fawell. Living in the land of Warren, I’m often reminded that he tithes much of his income to personal chairity, as if hording every red cent is the only attraction for a meglomaniac.

What both these men love, more than money, is exactly what Robertson loves, what Fawell loved, and that is political influence and power. They are the same people, except that the prototypes wear different hairstyles and clothes; they are only forced to step more lightly, as the fire, brimstone and condemnation approach to their flocks no longer flies in a post modern society.

Let the gays off the hook, and they lose that ability to control and rally their followers through the manipulation of fear–their tried and true method of sustaining their places on top of the heap. Condemn gays too loudly, and they turn off all the folks who they hope to recruit in the future, and lose some of their current congregants who are unable to see beyond the sheep’s clothing.

It’s politics…he is playing the same game that Obama, McCain and Clinton did. They have to use us, because they can’t win the choice or divorce wars.

24. Bobby says

I can not fuckin’ believe people actually follow this fuckin’ head case. FUCK HIM!!

“what they call their families” WTF?

He’ll go the way of Haggard, Swaggart and Jim Baker before long.

I hate those fuckin’ religious assholes who think God empowers them to spread their hatred.

25. Marc says

I can’t wait til we get to call down the wrath of God on these assholes. That smile will be wiped RIGHT off their faces! And I don’t mean figuratively either.

26. peterparker says

Anybody else notice that bitch say “…what they call a family”? I wish religion would just drop off the face of the earth.

27. Matt says

well Id rather sleep with Joel than ted

Although does anyone believe he’s so daft as to not understand the civil/religious split proposal? If the only rebuttal we can get from Christian and christianesque leaders against that compromise is acting like you’ve got a brain injury and can no longer process ideas.

The only leg these people have to stand on in this argument is based on Christians “owning” marriage, which is why this point isn’t even being addressed by olsteen. If he’s still having his poverty of comprehension he can refer to france, where larrys model of marriage is the law of the land.

28. clint says

Joel Osteen is an anti-Christ, and I say that because his theology and priorities are absolutely the opposite of Jesus. Ridiculous.

29. paul c says

How the fuck could anyone actually sit and watch Larry King and his sad, tired and amateurishly produced ghoul show?

Apart from that, Osteen is a mealy mouth who even the fundies can’t stand and consider to be a borderline cult leader.

He’ll blow whichever way the winds of money take him.

30. nikko says

Wow. Oh gee golly! They’re clueless! Not too bright, are they? And they represent the god of the universe?! Ugh.

31. Sean says

fire Larry King now. a major screw-up on his part. try Connecticut Larry you hack of a “journalist.”

32. JD says

The most telling thing that narcissists do is contradict themselves. They will do this virtually in the same sentence, without even stopping to take a breath. It can be trivial (e.g., about what they want for lunch) or it can be serious (e.g., about whether or not they love you). When you ask them which one they mean, they’ll deny ever saying the first one, though it may literally have been only seconds since they said it — really, how could you think they’d ever have said that? You need to have your head examined! They will contradict FACTS. They will lie to you about things that you did together. They will misquote you to yourself. If you disagree with them, they’ll say you’re lying, making stuff up, or are crazy.

33. Zeke says

If Olsteen wants to preach a “prosperity gospel” let him have at it but he shouldn’t try to wrap it up as “Christian”.

There is NOTHING LESS “Christian” than a “prosperity gospel” and I challenge ANYONE to prove me wrong with references from the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke or John. Show me ONE instance where Christ, or anyone else in the gospels, supported, promoted or even tolerated EARTHLY prosperity. Christ specifically stated that those who truly followed his way would own nothing but the clothes on their backs. He continually scorned the rich and called the poor “blessed” THOUGHOUT his ministry. If you can demonstrate to me that you can put a camel (the animal, not the cigarette) through the eye of a needle then I will buy into your claim that a “prosperity gospel” is Christian.

34. BrandonRolph says

Thank you, Larry for leading the Osteen’s and the rest of us in a pointless roundabout. I need some Maddow.

35. says

Wasn’t Mrs. Osteen the one bitch slapping that United flight attendant last fall? Something about spilling her drink in First Class? I understand he sat around like a little mouse while she chris browned her.

36. FunMe says

Did Ted Haggard and his beard go to Argentina for a total make-over and plastic surgery?

Geez, there are a lot of dumb people who have continued to give money to his ministry for the “cause” you know because well we do want our “servants” to look rich and pretty, doncha think?

Dumbing of American I present to you the Ken and Barbie version of Jim and Tammy Faye … circa 2009!

37. 7SnowyNights says

J. Osteen: Well gee Mr. King, I don’t know jack shit about anything, but wee-wees go in hoo-hahs because Jesus wrote it in the sky.

Christ on a cross, you can’t argue with these pricks when they won’t budge from their religious high-horses.

38. nic says

i am completely ashamed, but i find joel osteen cute. perhaps it’s the randolf mantooth crush i had as a young queer.

still, everything he says has to do with profiteering at the asshole of x’tianism. and, that is completing wrong. if there is a christ, he would not be making a case for crass commercialism, and ken and barbie would be struck dumb and blind. but, that is not the way the world works.

39. Dave says

It’s not about what you think or feel,
    It’s about what God said.

Most people today claim to be Christian but when it comes to speaking in accordance with what scripture really says, they are cowards and Olsteen is a classic case.

I will tell the truth even if it means not getting elected or facing death. I am not afraid of the world or it’s fables.

Truth has always been the same and it will never change! People change.

God loves all sinners no matter what stand they take but He hates the sin. I love you too no matter how you think you were born and even though I know that you are going to persecute me, but I hate the sin.

The Bible tells us clearly that homosexuality is a sin.

40. cmykatelyn says

Does this guy remind anyone else — just a teeny bit — of Clay Aiken? Every time I see him, that’s the first thing that comes to mind.

Just saying.

41. j s says

i thought joel’s older brother was gay, that was the word in houston in the 90’s, then he moved to NY and just disappeared. hmm

42. nic says

DAVE,

how the hell do you know what god said? that is pretentiousness in its worst sense. and if your god would hear you he would smite you, good and hard.

43. says

What is the deal with all the people thinking they’re “not anti-gay” and still pushing to keep gay people out of equal marriage, out of anti-discrimination laws, out of all fair and just government recognition? Come on! Ideas and institutions that harm gay people are anti-gay! So stop thinking you’re this Christian do-gooder when you’re spending money and time that oppresses people when you could spending that money and time helping the poor and giving marriage counseling, if you’re so concerned about keeping relationships and families together!

44. says

What? Joel Osteen is a bigot douche? And we are shocked about this?

He makes his money conning people into giving it to him, but he wants to defend the “sanctity” of marriage. What a joke.

45. michelle says

Heavenly Father forgive them for they know not what they do. Look up marriage in the dictionary. It says MARRIGE -union of husband and wife .so should we change the dictionary too.?