National Organization for Marriage Thanks Colbert, Slams Schmidt

Having one's presumably serious morally righteous juggernaut labeled an "internet camp classic" and ridiculed in dozens of YouTube parodies has to have rattled the collective psyche of the anti-gay National Organization for Marriage.

Gallagher They issued a couple of press releases on Friday. The first (link goes to NOM) "thanked" Stephen Colbert for relentlessly mocking the "Gathering Storm" ad.

Said President Maggie Gallagher: "I’ve always thought Stephen Colbert was a double-agent, pretending to
pretend to be a conservative, to pull one over Hollywood. Now I’m sure."

Added Executive Director Brian Brown: "Thank you Stephen for playing our ad in full on national television—for
free. HRC eat your heart out. Plus we all had a great chuckle, too! Where can I make a donation to the National Organization for Colbert?"

Brown Did Brown see the commercial we did?

But former McCain advisor Steve Schmidt, who spoke over the weekend to the Log Cabin Republicans and stated his support for marriage equality, got under their skin (link to NOM).

Said Brown: "Steven Schmidt? Isn’t this the guy who ran a failed presidential
campaign, who advised a failed governor (Arnold Schwarzenegger) who
insiders say was recently fired by Meg Whitman? Sure, we can understand why Steve would be looking for a way to make
some new friends—but why would anyone take his advice on how to win
elections at this point?"

Comments

1. Joe M says

Oh God. That these two numbskulls would seriously try and spin the almost constant mocking this ad has gotten as “Hey, at least it was free press!” is just one big pathetic cherry on top of their huge pathetic cake. I love that Executive Gayface Dan Brown and Maggie “Zero Shame Threshold” Gallagher try and pretend they are in on the punchline, but not only that!, are so totally aware of the double-secret reverse mocking that actually burns the gays. Sucks to be you! Endlessly entertaining, this group.

2. Darren says

Everyone sing along…

These are the bigots in your neighborhood..
    In your neighborhood..
    In your neigh-bor-hood..

Yes, these are the bigots in your neighborhood…”

3. says

“I’ve always thought Stephen Colbert was a double-agent, pretending to pretend to be a conservative, to pull one over Hollywood. Now I’m sure.”

Oh. My. God. You mean she’s just now catching on???

4. JohnInManhattan says

“Yes. NOM appears to believe that pretending to not understand the central satiric conceit of the show constitutes a witty comeback. They are also under the impression that their opponents at the Human Rights Campaign were saddened, watching Stephen Colbert rip NOM a new one. This is deeply weird! But I think what’s going on here is that NOM has embraced a tired bit of election year conventional wisdom: the belief that getting your commercial played, in any venue, even if its subjected to ruthless mocking, constitutes “winning the media cycle,” or something.

It doesn’t! But don’t tell them that! It’s high time that organizations like NOM started showing the people who point out their rampaging idiocy a little gratitude!”

5. says

“Said President Maggie Gallagher: ‘I’ve always thought Stephen Colbert was a double-agent, pretending to pretend to be a conservative, to pull one over Hollywood. Now I’m sure.'”

this woman is an idiot! she’s too stupid to know that she’s ignorant.

i bet she flunked the unit on “SATIRE” in high school and/or college. college? now that’s a scary thought…

6. Greg says

When I first glanced at the picture of Brown, before I saw that it was Brown, I thought it was a picture of some gay on our side.
    Another Ted Haggard type!

7. Patrick says

I she out of her mind? Is she awake and aware of her surroundings? Maybe she doesn’t have cable.

“Come to think of it, I’ve always thought that some of the stories in The Onion newspaper were also “for pretend”, and now . . . . ”

8. Carl Rice, Tucson says

LMFAO!! That commercial was flat out lame or in the gay vernacular, “limp wristed”.
    NOM must have been too busy packing each other to be truely creative.

9. Sargon Bighorn says

ANDY OMG you used “Marriage Equality” and not the destructive Radical Religious Extremist terms “Same Sex Marriage” or “Gay Marriage”. THANK YOU

If anyone listed to Warren Olney’s NPR show today you constantly heard “Gay Marriage” and “Same Sex Marriage”. BOTH terms are counter productive to Marriage Equality as they serve the purpose of furthering the Special Rights argument. When one talks in terms of EQUAL RIGHTS with regard to marriage it forces the bigots to admit they do not support EQUALITY UNDER THE LAW. There is no such thing as “Straight Marriage”, no one uses the term. There is no such thing as “Opposite Sex Marriage” no one uses the term. To continue to use terms coined by the Radical Religious Extremists is to further their efforts to marginalize Gay Citizens by suggesting Gay Americans are demanding something not already in existence. The POWER of Words does matter.

10. Christopher John says

A letter to Mrs. Maggie,

My dearest Maggie,
    Loving all the free publicity?? You do realize that the publicity that you are seeking is one of discontent and pure mockery? Stephen Cobert, who I am sure can speak for himself, uses what you say and only parodies it back at you. I know that you are going to fight this tooth and nail, but it really saddens me that you are on the losing side of history. You will one day wake up and realize that loving gay couples are not what is going to bring down the sanctity of marriage, it is no-fault divorces and third and fourth marriages that devalue the institution of marriage. We on this side are not fighting for gay marriage; rather we are fighting for equality under the law. It is truly that simple. Good luck on your hate and fear mongering, it has only strengthened our resolve to fight!!
    In a loving God,
    Christopher John

11. Quint King says

WOW. That. is. priceless.

12. Mikey T says

Of course these bigots just got it! Satire and the comprehension of sarcasm require more than the three narrow-minded brain cells that they possess between the two of them. Colbert’s is an equal opportunity muckraker and that’s why we love him.

And seriously, props to all those that called out what everyone should already know: BRIAN BROWN has major gayface (or doucheface at the least)! He is a white-washed all-American guy who has probably never struggled for anything in his life. Is tolerance not considered a virtue anymore?

13. Ray says

This statement says more about her than about Colbert. What kind of nut would you have to be to think that Stephen’s character is a real conservative?

14. Elaine says

Colbert is “pretending to pretend to be a conservative?”

I think sarcasm is a foreign vocabulary to this lady. Her life must be so dull ….