Gay Marriage | News | Washington DC

D.C. Council Votes 12-1 to Recognize Same-Sex Unions

The D.C. Council voted 12-1 today to recognize same-sex unions and marriages performed elsewhere, the Washington Post reports:

Barry "The measure, approved by a vote 12 to 1, now goes to Mayor Arian M. Fenty (D), a supporter of gay marriage. If Fenty signs it, the District will put the same-sex marriage issue directly before the Congress. Under Home Rule, the District's laws are subject to a 30-day congressional review period. After the vote, a large crowd of opponents, led by local ministers, began yelling 'Get them off the council!' referring to the members who supported the measure. The Council initially voted unanimously, without debate, to approve the bill. But Council member Marion Barry (D-Ward 8) apparently did not realize what he was voting on. A few minutes after the initial vote, Barry made a motion to reconsider the vote. He then voted against the proposal. Before the final vote, Barry noted he has been a longtime supporter of gay rights but said he decided to stand with the 'ministers who stand on the moral compass of God.'"

Added Barry: "It has been a very agonizing and difficult decision. I feel comfortable with this position because I know where my heart is. . . . I am representing my constituents. I have thought about it lot and I have been a friend of [the gay] community and will continue to be a friend of this community."

Barry (pictured), a 4x married, ex-con, tax-evading, crack addict, declared himself a moral leader at a rally against the same-sex union measure at a rally last week organized by Reverend Harry Jackson.

Watch that video again, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I hope this isolates Barry completely. It's nice to see the bigots in the undisputed minority for a change.

How did a crackhead get elected to City Council anyway?

Posted by: MT | May 5, 2009 12:46:53 PM

2. Yeah, I don't think Marion Barry understands what "friend" means.

Posted by: tjc | May 5, 2009 12:47:08 PM

3. "Local ministers"? I'd suggest one check their voter registration before calling them "local". Most of them (and the congregations they lead) live in MD, they're not local, which is why the DC council doesn't care what they think.

Posted by: Steve | May 5, 2009 12:47:37 PM

4. I live in DC and having Barry here is just downright embarrasing.

Posted by: Tim | May 5, 2009 12:48:29 PM

5. "But Council member Marion Barry (D-Ward 8) apparently did not realize what he was voting on."

Poor fool. I guess he was having a relaspe. And when I look at him I can't help but wonder just how many "down low" sexual encounters he had during the 60s into the turn of this century. What a fool.

Anyway, this is wonderful news! Even with the negative racial stereotypes represented by the protesters, the Mayor and the council prove those racial stereotypes are not valid--among the educated, and those who truly beleive in human rights.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 5, 2009 12:50:58 PM

6. some of my best friends are gay!

Posted by: Rick in Robbinsville | May 5, 2009 12:53:02 PM

7. Well done, D.C.!

Posted by: ichabod | May 5, 2009 12:55:30 PM

8. Bitch set him up.

Posted by: Glenn | May 5, 2009 1:01:08 PM

9. Wow, this just keeps better for the right wingnuts - first they get Carrie Prejean as a spokeswhore and now Marion Barry is on their platform, but apparently too crack adled to remember his lines.

Woo hoo!

Posted by: Bill | May 5, 2009 1:03:17 PM

10. Haha, take that crackhead!

Posted by: Marc | May 5, 2009 1:04:08 PM

11. Yikes. So I guess I didn't understand the FAQ you posted earlier. Can you post it again? So congress can vote down the bill, but they haven't exercised that right in all the years that the possibility has existed? Is that correct?

Posted by: K | May 5, 2009 1:12:50 PM

12. can this day get any better?!?! carrie & marion are workin' harder for us than HRC!

Posted by: brian | May 5, 2009 1:31:43 PM

13. You know your cause is in trouble when Marion Barry is the only supporter you've got.

Posted by: Joel | May 5, 2009 1:32:22 PM

14. Wow, Marion looks good. I didn't recognize him without a glass pipe in his mouth.

Posted by: MikeMick | May 5, 2009 1:38:32 PM

15. Perhaps Barry should realize that many local "ministers" were against inter-racial marriage in the 50s and 60s, too.

Posted by: Greg | May 5, 2009 1:53:33 PM

16. Shouldn't he put the crack pipe down before a vote so he at least knows what the hell's being voted on???

Posted by: Chuck | May 5, 2009 2:18:33 PM

17. Fucking idiot should be on the street waving a cup for crack money. Had to do a revote just because the fool didn't realize what the hell was going on, they should not have obliged him.

Posted by: Wes | May 5, 2009 2:18:38 PM

18. Barry (pictured), a 4x married, ex-con, tax-evading, crack addict, declared himself a moral leader at a rally against the same-sex union measure at a rally last week

Maybe we should get all these "moral leaders" together and show just how "moral" they are. You have the nerve to judge me? Funny how they all seem to forget all thats happened as long as he's "cured" and "pure and righteous" now. Hypocrites.

Posted by: Uflyguy | May 5, 2009 2:44:52 PM

19. I hang my head in shame every time I'm reminded that man and I are from the same hometown. He is a total disgrace and the ward of the city (8), sadly the area where I grew up, that keeps electing him is just as bad. Horrible man.

The irony here is that more than of few of those ministers who are supposed moral leaders are even bigger closet cases than the politicians here. Sometimes I think think DC is the capital if the entire down low culture. If Outrage is a big hit on the documentary circuit, maybe Kirby Dick can do a follow up on these slimeballs.

Posted by: James C | May 5, 2009 2:50:11 PM

20. If you want to know how much we in DC love Marion Barry, just go to the Dcist.com ;)

Posted by: Tony | May 5, 2009 2:54:16 PM

21. i don't know a single soul here in D.C. who likes Mr. Barry.

Posted by: liz templin | May 5, 2009 3:08:36 PM

22. Three cheers for chocolate city! So much for the all back people are homophobes theory. Now if they could only stop electing Barry and his ilk to public office...

Posted by: Giovanni | May 5, 2009 3:17:37 PM

23. Sickening man spewing his sickness.

Posted by: www.gaygregator.com | May 5, 2009 4:34:53 PM