Gay Marriage | Gay Rights | Marie Osmond | Mormon | News

Marie Osmond on Gay Rights and Her Lesbian Daughter

Marieosmond

Yesterday, in an interview with KOST 103.5 Los Angeles, Marie Osmond spoke out about her lesbian daughter Jessica and her views on gay rights.

Said Osmond: "You know, I think each of us has the right to choose who makes that medical decision for us, I think everybody should have the right to share homes and finances with somebody that they care about. You know on those types of things I'm very supportive. When it comes to marriage, ... I think that civil rights need to be for all. When you start mixing religion into that and beliefs, you know, I do believe in the Bible. My daughter understands my beliefs. And, and, uh, you know, God said to be married and be productive with your children and, and, you know, replenish the earth or whatever. She understands those things. My daughter is sharp. And we have a great relationship and I think she would tell you that."

Listen to the interview, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via perez)

Comments

1. "you know, replenish the earth or whatever"

Says it all right there.

Most folks who live by "The Word" have no idea what it actually says or means. They just listen to their pastors because its easier than actually reading the entire piece of fantasy.

Seriously, many people who say they will fight to the gates of hell for god, would do anything for Jesus, won't even sit down and read the Bible for themselves. Its that tedious.

Posted by: Wes | May 5, 2009 2:01:36 PM

2. Thats reaching a palin level of eloquence there.

Posted by: samwise | May 5, 2009 2:06:37 PM

3. so uh....what exactly? LMAO, that was kind of strange. she's for marriage equality?

Posted by: liz templin | May 5, 2009 2:11:09 PM

4. Wes, you beat me to it.

"..., you know, I do believe in the Bible.... And, and, uh, you know, God said to be married and be productive with your children and, and, you know, replenish the earth or whatever."

Sums up organized religion for me. I wish someone would come out and prove the bible is simply a work of fiction once and for all. Further, I don't give a crap what you believe, just don't put your shit on me.

Posted by: CJ | May 5, 2009 2:12:58 PM

5. Oh man. Look at that thick-thighed.........Whatever, looks like Marie Osmond has her own Chastity Bono.

Posted by: JT | May 5, 2009 2:14:55 PM

6. WTF does that mean? Did Carrie Prejean write that for her?

Seriously, I have no idea how she feels after reading that.

Posted by: sam | May 5, 2009 2:16:40 PM

7. Did anyone tell Marie Osmond that the topic being addressed here is CIVIL marriage, as the ones done in front of a justice of the peace, at city hall, that gives you rights under the "civil" law and things like that .... you, know?
    No one wants to hear what her religious beliefs are .... and, and, huhh, you know .... The conversation is about civil rights ... hmmm, you know .... like .... whatever!

Separation of church and state, you know?

We want the right to the same treatment under the law, you know? You can leave your god in your church .... like ... you know?

Posted by: StatUnitense | May 5, 2009 2:17:20 PM

8. "I'm a little bit cunty, I mean country ..."

Posted by: MikeMick | May 5, 2009 2:17:49 PM

9. Hey, at least she isn't trying to push her biblical beliefs. . .or whatever. . .on anyone. ;-) Ha!

Posted by: Jason | May 5, 2009 2:19:06 PM

10. Sounds like she is in favor of 'separate but equal' civil unions.

That's actually more progressive than I expected her to be. Most Mormons don't even believe in that.

Posted by: SteveS | May 5, 2009 2:21:25 PM

11. Yes, she could have been more clear & I have a feeling her publicist will soon spin what she said. However, for the most part, I only see this as a positive thing. Here is a young woman who was raised in a high-profile Mormon family who's been told all her life that homosexuality is wrong & yet she's out. This will further shoot down the bible-thumpers' belief that being gay is a choice. Also, her mother did not disown or try to change her (not that we know of anyway).

Posted by: scar2 | May 5, 2009 2:21:29 PM

12. So does it really have to take having a gay child for them to realize we are all just PEOPLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

Posted by: Marc | May 5, 2009 2:21:59 PM

13. I'm in the mood to cut her a break. Here's a devout Mormon who went ahead and got two divorces anyway. Like my mother, the self-proclaimed "cafeteria Catholic," I think Marie is a lot cooler than her religious brand might have you believe. We have much more dangerous enemies to fight.

Posted by: DW | May 5, 2009 2:29:11 PM

14. Thanks for feeding the stereotype, JT. What does the fact that her daughter is "thick-thighed" have to do with the topic at hand? Can a gay man take the upper hand and not talk about someone's weight/looks at least once?

Posted by: JeMiSi | May 5, 2009 2:36:56 PM

15. @Marc:

When it comes to fundamentalist Christians, yeah. It does. And lots of times that isn't even enough.

Posted by: The Milkman | May 5, 2009 2:38:55 PM

16. Marie Osmond rocks in this interview. She loves her (lesbian) daughter, which is more than a lot of parents do for their kids. The interviewer, on the other hand, is a dunce.

Posted by: RB | May 5, 2009 2:44:41 PM

17. Marie's comments are supported by the fact that it is illegal for a heterosexual, atheist couple who plan to remain childless to be legally married in the United States. Oh, wait, sorry...I mean it's legal.

Posted by: LD | May 5, 2009 2:45:02 PM

18. Identical position to Barack Obama and Meg Whitman.

Posted by: DaveO | May 5, 2009 2:49:14 PM

19. ^^^ Are we reading the same article RB???

Posted by: DID I READ THAT CORRECTLY??? | May 5, 2009 2:49:55 PM

20. These people just aren't familiar with the concept of homonyms. I suppose she thinks her mother's sister is a colony-dwelling insect.

Posted by: crispy | May 5, 2009 2:56:22 PM

21. She's a devout Mormon making a positive effort here, and that's just not good enough is it? No. She should just suddenly wake up and be 100% on our side overnight.

Sometimes the comments here are so disappointing.

Posted by: Dusty | May 5, 2009 3:05:03 PM

22. Actually, if you remove all the religious junk at the end of the comment, it's actually a pretty positive statement. But that's the thing with organized religion--it twists and turns the mind so much that rational thought gets messed up.

I'll admit, I've always had a soft spot for Marie Osmond (at least she's much more tolerable than brother Donny); her 80s country album "There's No Stopping Your Heart" was one of my favorites; and she's been outspoken about discussing her depression in years past.

Having said that, the religion thing may be a wall for her to grow any further in terms of supporting gay issues; my eldest sister is a Mormon, and has said truly hurtful things to me, to the point where I really don't want to have anything to do with her anymore. Very sad.

Posted by: Joseph | May 5, 2009 3:07:57 PM

23. I think her fake sincere brother is a raving asshole, and I'd bring marshmallows to roast over a burning Mormon temple, but I choose to see a mother trying to work through the brainwashing she's gotten since Day 1—and a mother who is an international poster child for Mormonism at that.

No, so far, she's NOT exactly like Obama because she's not explicitly denounced marriage equality as he repeatedly as. She said, "When it comes to marriage, ... I think that civil rights need to be for all." He has NEVER said that!

If she comes back with a disclaimer, I'll lead the pack to flame her. Until then, grow up. And I don't mean her.

Posted by: Leland Frances | May 5, 2009 3:09:41 PM

24. I applaud Marie. The way I interpret her answer is that she personally believes in the man/woman model, but believes that others should have the freedom to decide for themselves. Isn't that all we're asking for? Her response is not at all what I would expect from a prolific Utah Mormon.
    I grew up Mormon and my family is still a very devout Utah Mormon family. It takes a lot of courage for her to say what she did, and she's going to be attacked by other Mormons for saying what she did.

Posted by: B | May 5, 2009 3:19:16 PM

25. I remember when she had a talk show and she had the gay rodeo dancers on it. They all talked about how gay friendly she was. From the stumbling of her speech, I think she is, but she has to moderate her talking points to not get in trouble with "the church"...how scary is that? A Mormon Inquisition. Apparently, though, Donnie has no problem coming out and saying how horrible we are: http://joemygod.blogspot.com/2008/11/donny-osmond-on-gay-marriage.html

Posted by: woodroad34woo | May 5, 2009 3:19:30 PM