California | Gay Marriage | Michael Duvall | News

CA Assemblyman Duvall Resigns Following 'Hot Mic' Scandal

This morning I posted about California GOP Assemblyman, Prop 8 supporter, and 'family values' champion Michael Duvall, who was caught describing the sordid details of an affair with a lobbyist on a microphone he didn't realize was on.

Michaelduvall Duvall resigned today, and left the following statement on his website: "I am deeply saddened that my inappropriate comments have become a major distraction for my colleagues in the Assembly, who are working hard on the very serious problems facing our state. I have come to the conclusion that it would not be fair to my family, my constituents or to my friends on both sides of the aisle to remain in office. Therefore, I have decided to resign my office, effective immediately, so that the Assembly can get back to work."

The L.A. Times reports: "The Assembly Legislative Ethics Committee is looking into the reports about Duvall's alleged relationship with the lobbyist, a source close to the committee said this morning. Members of the ethics panel plan to meet today with their legal counsel to determine what action they might take, said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity for lack of authority to speak for the committee...Duvall joined the Assembly in 2006, representing the 72nd District, which includes the cities of Fullerton, Anaheim, Placentia, Orange, Brea, Yorba Linda and La Habra."

Comments

1. i hope the motherfucker ends up in jail for some impropriety. At the very least, I hope we never see his ugly mug in political office ever again.

Posted by: peterparker | Sep 9, 2009 6:34:46 PM

2. wow.....that was fast

Posted by: Joey | Sep 9, 2009 6:44:12 PM

3. This douche quit not because he talks to much (albeit like an immature frat boy who got laid for the very first time...) but because he now has to mount and pay for a huge legal defense against charges he misused his office, as well as ethics violations that could land him in prison for a few years. (who'll be dripping then???)

And I'm sure his wife is filing for divorce today and taking everything she can before it's all gone.

Couldn't happen to a nicer idiot.

Posted by: Bart | Sep 9, 2009 6:52:18 PM

4. "I am deeply saddened that my inappropriate comments have become a major distraction for my colleagues in the Assembly"

How about being deeply saddened that you screwed around behind your wife's back and then bragged about it to your "colleagues" while denying millions of American's basic human rights???

Posted by: CJ | Sep 9, 2009 6:56:13 PM

5. LOL...he apologizes for his 'comments', not that he committed adultery! What an arrogant hypocritical right-wing bigot.

Since he was banging a lobbyist, I hope an internal/public investigation ensues and not buried.

Posted by: CB | Sep 9, 2009 7:17:53 PM

6. English translation of former Assemblyman Duvall's statement:

I'm sorry I got caught.

Posted by: John | Sep 9, 2009 8:25:38 PM

7. does he have a good wife?

Posted by: David B. 2 | Sep 9, 2009 8:36:47 PM

8. UGH. As if reading the transcript of his sexcapades wasn't damaging enough, now I have to stop picturing him tooling around Placentia.

Posted by: Christopher | Sep 9, 2009 8:45:16 PM

9. my head has been filled with visions of that man's jizz running down that poor woman's inner thigh all day :(

Posted by: sundog | Sep 9, 2009 9:06:27 PM

10. I really hope the media goes after the lobbying company that sends a female in there to jiggle her tits and give our senators, congressman, assemblymen, etc blow jobs and whatnot in order to get what they want for the lobbying firm they work for. I mean isn't that a major ethics violation? She was probably getting raises because she was doing such a great job getting men like Duvall to vote in her favor..amazing. Is anyone else completely surprised that married straight men in power KEEP ON DOING THIS SHIT?!?! you'd think your #1 priority would be to keep your dick in your pants because this stuff usually leaks out.

Posted by: john | Sep 9, 2009 9:17:56 PM

11. I hope this piece of shit's actions cause his two children, their children, and all their future generations to become rampant liberals dedicated to undoing the hypocritical work perpetrated by their progenitor.

Posted by: Matt | Sep 9, 2009 10:15:16 PM

12. Tell me these conservative republicans are nothing but nazi trash,can they be any more disgusting ,this bible thumping trailer trash reprsents one of the most conservative republican areas in Orange County. Hope every second of his life is misrable from now on. This pig who used the importance of hetro marriages to break up gay marriages. These republicans are really evil,hypocritical and disgusting.

Posted by: chad | Sep 9, 2009 11:44:50 PM

13. I qlad to see another defender of traditional marriage showing the best way to defend it is have an affair. The right wing wingnuts keep stepping on their dicks. Now the poor wife will stand next to him say
    she forgives him and plants a big one on his cheek. The list is getting so long the next republican convention should held at the chicken ranch.

Posted by: walter | Sep 9, 2009 11:58:26 PM

14. God, how I dearly love these GOP-hypocritical-fuck-self-implodes stories...and they just keep getting better and better.

Posted by: Tom | Sep 10, 2009 12:28:47 AM

15. We've completely replaced Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, and the rest of the white trash brigade of young starlets with fat, white haired, pompous, retarded Republican lawmakers as the new fodder sport.

Thanks guys! Every day you make me laugh. Every day you make me realize how right I am for being a registered Indepenant with Democratic leanings. Every day you make me happy I'm gay and you're not (well, some of you...there's a whole bunch of you who really are. No names, they know who they are...) Even when I get down about things I can hold my head up and say that I live my life with some integrity and grace. You guys...you're punch line douche bags who are hoisted on your own petards. And I love it. Keep driving off the cliffs, you lemming idiots! It makes me howl with laughter every day.

Posted by: Bart | Sep 10, 2009 12:14:19 PM

16. Now on his site:

"I want to make it clear that my decision to resign is in no way an admission that I had an affair or affairs. My offense was engaging in inappropriate story-telling and I regret my language and choice of words. The resulting media coverage was proving to be an unneeded distraction to my colleagues and I resigned in the hope that my decision would allow them to return to the business of the state."

Wow. He's actually denying the affair took place. What the fuck is he going to say he was he doing, practicing his fictional story-telling skills?

Posted by: rafi | Sep 10, 2009 3:41:50 PM

17. What a freakin' piece of work. He gets caught, resigns and then says he didn't do the stuff he was talking about. This man is too stupid to be an assemblyman - even a Republican assemblyman. Why not grow a pair Duvall? Admit you're a sleazebag who was screwing around on his wife, take your hit like a man (after all isn't being the big important man what got your ass in a sling in the first place?) and take your "family values" back to private life where we don't have to be exposed to your infidelities.

Posted by: ChrisM | Sep 10, 2009 6:06:19 PM