Boston | Cleveland | Gay Games | News | Sports | Washington DC

Cleveland, Ohio to Host 2014 Gay Games

Cleveland

The Federation of Gay Games announced at a press conference from Cologne, Germany that Cleveland, Ohio has won the bid to host the 2014 Games. Boston and Washington, DC were also finalists.

Above, the Cleveland contingent after the announcement.

Bid documents for each city can be found HERE.

View a few videos in support of the bids from the three cities, AFTER THE JUMP...

Washington D.C.

Testimonials from Cleveland:

Sorry, Boston. All I could find on YouTube was this fairly useless video on its side:

Comments

1. well thanks so much for launching automatically with an obnoxious loud ad and no "stop" option or volume control when you come to your page ugh.

Posted by: Michael | Sep 29, 2009 12:32:50 PM

2. Yeah, that's pretty fucking annoying. I'm "working."

Posted by: Tweety | Sep 29, 2009 12:39:25 PM

3. Cleveland? Cleveland? HAHAHAHHAHAHA

And oh yes, that ad is very annoying.

Posted by: protogenes | Sep 29, 2009 12:40:02 PM

4. What's with the stupid ad that can't be turned off and gives misleading information about anti-depressants? I come to Towleroad to get away from that crap.

Posted by: mike | Sep 29, 2009 12:46:44 PM

5. This is pretty shocking...What is going on with the FGG leadership? The Chicago/Atlanta/Montreal debacle...Cologne is turning out to be a huge disaster (They have only about 1,800 people registered for it 10 months out.), and now Cleveland. Did Focus on the Family secretly take over and decide to destroy from within. Even if the fine cities of Cleveland and Akron (that's right it's a joint bid) can pull it off, to make it a success, they need to convince 12,000 participants and many, many more spectators from all of the world to spend a week there. You want to spend a week there? Exactly how much time can one spend "rocking" at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Posted by: BostonFan | Sep 29, 2009 1:11:40 PM

6. ...and here come the sore losers...

Posted by: Hank | Sep 29, 2009 1:15:11 PM

7. Congrats to Cleveland and all those who worked so hard to bring the games here. I'm really looking forward to seeing this major event in our area. The Northeast Ohio GLBT community can only benefit from hosting the games.

Posted by: Rex | Sep 29, 2009 1:22:26 PM

8. I think one complaint about the ad would suffice. The fact that all you could do is complain about something unrelated to the story at hand when messaging. Anywho,

I wish it was closer to California, but hopefully I can make it out that way when the games begin.

Posted by: B | Sep 29, 2009 1:25:31 PM

9. So Hank...I take it you're signed up for Cologne and will sign up for Cleveland? There is a link to the bid document for the Cleveland bid above. Their proposed budget only works if thousands and thousands of people agree to participate/register. I just don't see thousands and thousands of men and women from Europe, Australia, Canada and much of the US, using precious vacation time in Akron...Not being a sore loser, just stating a fact.

Posted by: BostonFan | Sep 29, 2009 1:27:18 PM

10. I'll bet the gays of Duluth and Sioux Falls wish they had submitted their applications now!

Posted by: Gregoire | Sep 29, 2009 1:37:23 PM

11. Not all GLBT people live on the East and West Coasts.

Its nice to see Cleveland won!

Posted by: Mike | Sep 29, 2009 1:43:03 PM

12. I guess a working mass-transit system was not a factor. Compared to Boston or DC, at least.

Posted by: Steve | Sep 29, 2009 1:51:01 PM

13. Steve,

If a "working" mass-transit system were a criterion, both Boston and DC would have been out of consideration a long time ago! ;)

Posted by: another matt | Sep 29, 2009 2:11:37 PM

14. Cleveland has a public transportation system, Steve. Not on the level of Boston's or DC's, but then we don't have the same kind of drivers those cities do either.

Bostonfan: I'm a little long in the tooth to be participating as an athlete - even more so by 2014. But I'll be there. And if you think people from Cleveland haven't participated before, check out this guy:

The uninformed condescension and sense of entitlement emanating from some people on this board serve only to remind me of the nine largely miserable years I lived in Boston.

Posted by: Hank | Sep 29, 2009 2:18:45 PM

15. So, the Special Olympics...I mean the Gaytard Games will be in Cleveland. Everybody's a winner!

Posted by: Mark | Sep 29, 2009 2:25:33 PM

16. shame they can't give the Games to affirming states...Like one of the NE states....screw ohio.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Sep 29, 2009 2:41:18 PM

17. Hank, while tempted, I will just ignore your "nine largely miserable years" in Boston.

My point is that this decision should have been about dollars and cents. The Gay Games have not been on sound financial for years. I worry that this decision won't help. Cleveland and Akron governments have offered support for 2014, but the overall budget requires advertising and registration revenue to make it work. A failure in 2014 doesn't just mean a week of poorly attended games...It impacts the overall movement.

This decision seems to have been political (i.e., isn't it cool if the Gay Games can help foster GLBT liberation in Ohio). That's a noble, but naive goal. I think that it would have been similarly political and wrong for the FGG to award the games to Boston because we are one of the most GLBT affirming cities in the world.

Instead, if we accept that all three bidding cities were capable of the basic logistics that the game will entail, the games should have been awarded to the city that would be the most desirable location for people to visit.

Former host cities such as New York, San Francisco, Amsterdam, Sydney, Vancouver and Chicago are all world-class cities and very desirable travel destinations...Do you really think that Cleveland is in this class? Does asking this question make me condescending?

Posted by: BostonFan | Sep 29, 2009 3:27:40 PM

18. Congrats to Cleveland - I am a little shocked by it but very happy that I'll be able to attend the games again as I live in nearby Columbus. As to disgusted american's ignorant remarks - where would you like the games to be - Calif.? or wait they voted against gay marriage.

Lakewood , Ohio (Cleve. suburb) has on law the only voter approved domestic partner ordinance in the country and the Ohio house recently passed a law against employment discrim. This visibility can only help gays who don't happen to live on the coasts.

Posted by: Mike | Sep 29, 2009 3:39:02 PM

19. Bostonfan - sorry that your city didn't get the bid and you make some good points but why not step out of the box and travel to somewhere you have never been? I realize that Cleve and Ohio are not on top of many peeps travel lists but neither were Calgary, Lillehammer, Turin, Albertville and other cities who hosted the winter olympics.
    In terms of participants, Ohio has the 7th largest state population in the country and is a short flight or drive from many major pop. areas like Chicago, Toronto, Montreal, the Northeast U.S. and Atlanta and the South.
    Any type of sporting event on this scale is risky - just look at the naysayers for Chicago's bid for the summer olympics.

Posted by: Mike | Sep 29, 2009 3:56:19 PM

20. Mike, thanks for your support.

One correction, the voter supported domestic partner ordinance is in Cleveland Heights, not Lakewood.

Posted by: Hank | Sep 29, 2009 4:00:00 PM

21. Congrats to them but DC would have been a GREAT host city!!!!

Posted by: KFLO | Sep 29, 2009 4:31:45 PM

22. RE: Mike, Calgary, Lillehammer, Turin, and Albertville (really Courchevel) were actually pretty well known on the international skiing circuit when they were elected. They're not mainstream tourist destinations, but they had definitely been around the competition block before.

As someone getting their masters in sports management, and I can't say that I'm surprised by Cleveland's victory. They didn't have the "best" bid, but they did have the best campaign, and, that is where it really counts.

Posted by: Seth | Sep 29, 2009 4:47:52 PM

23. What could the organizers have been thinking? Is Cleveland a city that you are eager to visit? If you were going to have an event that you wanted to be successful, why wouldn't you plan it for a destination where people would want to go? I certainly wish them well, but I can't imagine what could entice me to go to Cleveland. Had they been held in Boston or D.C., they would have been on my don't miss list.

Posted by: Jack | Sep 29, 2009 5:32:44 PM

24. I'm surprised but thrilled with the choice. Congrats Cleveland!!!

Posted by: matt | Sep 29, 2009 5:34:19 PM

25. Congrats Cleveland. They deserved it.
    I spent the best years of my life there, but currently reside in DC and I can tell you, Cleveland is certainly more world class than DC.

Posted by: William | Sep 29, 2009 5:46:16 PM