Barack Obama | Democratic Party | News

AmericaBlog Launches Donor Boycott of the DNC

John Aravosis and Joe Sudbay at AmericaBlog have launched a donor boycott of the Democratic National Committee over gay rights promises not fulfilled by the President and the party:

Dnc "We are asking voters to pledge to withhold contributions to the Democratic National Committee, Organizing for America, and the Obama campaign until the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) is passed, Don’t Ask Don’t Tell (DADT) is repealed, and the so-called Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) is repealed -– all of which President Obama repeatedly promised to do if elected."

The bloggers have published a comprehensive list of reasons and say the money should "pause" to the organization until promises are kept: "We are not calling for a boycott of donations to the DNC. We are simply calling for a pause until the party follows through on its campaign promise to repeal DADT and DOMA, and pass ENDA. The party will get the same donations it would have gotten, when the promises are kept. The Democrats could choose to make good on their promise today. And by doing so, they will only further motivate the Democratic base to again turn out for the next election, a decidedly good thing."

Comments

1. Apparently they are unaware that double negatives have unintended consequences in the English language. Oops.

Posted by: Jon B | Nov 9, 2009 12:11:51 PM

2. Uhhhh pledging NOT to withhold would be the same as donating. Thus, they are not calling for a boycott, but rather for continuing donations, due to their lack of proofreading skills.

Posted by: Jack | Nov 9, 2009 12:12:39 PM

3. Let's donate to the Republicans!

Posted by: Gregoire | Nov 9, 2009 12:18:18 PM

4. Since a lot of folks will have a lot of time on there hands (not going to GOP or Democratic Dinner, Fundraisers etc.) I hope they can all call and write there Senators because currently ENDA is in the Senate and we only have 47 votes, we need 60. DADT will NEVER Pass unless ENDA does so we need to generate our time to this cause. If we don't we can point the fing in the mirror because WE didnt do the homework.

Posted by: Mike | Nov 9, 2009 12:22:03 PM

5. Congrats, fellas - you can whip out the red pen like the second grade teacher you long to be. You found a grammatical error on the internet. Be proud.

I find John A to be a bit shrill at times and there are some issues he fights for that skirt the line between valid and petty, but ultimately, I'm glad for his anger and his motivation. I do hope this maintains consistent messaging and not become the gay community's version of teabagging. Well, the gay community's version of conservative teabagging, I mean. :)

Posted by: Joe Marrazzo | Nov 9, 2009 12:24:04 PM

6. I've been boycotting the DNC for months now, and have told the Dems in no uncertain terms that it's over the failure to follow through on campaign promises. We'll see what happens in 2010 when people stick to their guns and ask "what have you done for us to make us vote for you?"

Posted by: DR | Nov 9, 2009 12:40:17 PM

7. So this is like a bribe? Extortion? Kinda the same thing that the DNC and Obama campaign did during the election right? "Give me your money and you'll get _____" And now we're saying "Give us what we want or you get no money." What we need to realize is, is that the White House is too busy manufacturing crisis after crisis so they can avoid any and all promises they have made. Obama is anti-gay marriage. He is only "pro-gay" when he is in a room full of gay people with money. His advisors are currently saying, "Well they only make up like 10% of the voting public, at the most. So we can do without the 10% for now."

My question is, if this administration waits until late 2011 or early 2012 to do what we want them to do (you know, campaign time), will the gay money and support go pouring back in? Or will we be smart enough to realize that again, they will be using us purely for votes.

Posted by: BC | Nov 9, 2009 12:46:12 PM

8. I already pledged I wouldn't be donating to DNC after their moves with Maine, so this runs along the same lines. I won't be giving any $$$ and I also won't donate my time to campaigning, phone banking, or door-to-door work anymore. One less free employee.

Posted by: KFLO | Nov 9, 2009 12:46:13 PM

9. DNC is the national organization. Donate to individuals who do to help.

Posted by: Allan | Nov 9, 2009 12:53:57 PM

10. "We are not calling for a boycott...We are simply calling for a pause" is doublespeak BS, and Andy rightly identifies this as a boycott in the headline for this article.

I've never seen any point in donating to major political organizations, so this doesn't affect my contributions in the slightest.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 9, 2009 1:01:07 PM

11. It's perfectly reasonable to demand action on ENDA this winter and DADT next year. But you'd have to be a moron to think that there will be significant movement toward a repeal of DOMA in Congress before January 2013—regardless of who was elected president last year. We're nowhere near having the votes for that any time soon.

Are Aravosis and Sudbury really that stupid?

Posted by: 24play | Nov 9, 2009 1:04:37 PM

12. I'm all in. A more Republican Congress, and maybe another Republican president, are definitely the way to advance gay rights and equality. I mean what's with all that focus on health care. As if that means anything to the folks who elected Obama. And all the focus on making sure insurers can't exclude folks for pre-existing conditions. Name me one self-respecting gay male with HIV, or gay female with breast cancer, who cares remotely about that. So count me in.

Posted by: Mike in Iowa | Nov 9, 2009 1:11:02 PM

13. @BC:

From my perspective, no money until we see results. I'm not going to start opening my wallet for the DNC or any other Democratic groups until I see some real effort on their part to make some real change happen. I agree with Allan, let's not ignore those who are making the effort, but hold those who are doing nothing accountable. Which means the majority of Democrats, who are just paying us lipservice.

Posted by: DR | Nov 9, 2009 1:13:48 PM

14. i guess Mike in Iowa has never been seriously sick...nor has the empathy for others that are sick.

Posted by: Astro | Nov 9, 2009 1:31:02 PM

15. When DADT and DOMA passed under Bill clinton, while Bill was getting Monica'd while signing DOMA, I vowed at that point no money to ANY candidate, and certainly not to the democratic Party. And of course, no momney every to Repubs.

I broke that pledge when Howard dean was running for president.I see no reason to break it again, especially given the DISMAL performance by Democrats in power so far. give money to the banks, still at war, don't articulate a positive message on health care, gay people either to the back or under the bus, our choice.

I will probably vote for Ofama again. Not a typo-- Our Fierce Advocate My Ass.

But I ma deeply disappointed. jimmy Carter showed more balls in 1976, coming out against Prop. 6, than Obama has in the pas 4 years

Posted by: Ben in Oakland | Nov 9, 2009 1:31:11 PM

16. Astro, I think Mike in Iowa was being sarcastic. He's emphasizing the importance of health care reform to the GLBT community. Of course he didn't mention that the health care bill being battered about right now is so watered down (through attempts to pander to the right) as to be almost unrecognizable.

That said, I wouldn't give money to the DNC because their "supermajority" or whatever has been utterly worthless. They couldn't pass the salt without 87 meetings, diluting the salt with baking soda, and cajoling Republicans to pass the salt, and even then they'd drop the shaker into my plate.

Democrats are, by and large, pussies. They lack the courage of their convictions, even when their stated convictions are clearly in sync with the vast majority of Americans.

Posted by: The Milkman | Nov 9, 2009 1:41:30 PM

17. Yes, Aravosis and Sudbay ARE that stupid. Aravosis shouldn't say anything anyway. Instead of attending the Equality March he ran off to putz around in France.

Posted by: JT | Nov 9, 2009 1:43:47 PM

18. But supporting individual candidates should not be suspended, I hope...? l think demanding DOMA be repealed is saying, "Let's let the Republicans win forever."

Aside from all that, would it count and would the boycott end if Obama were trying harder? Or If votes were being forced to happen even if they failed? (I'm asking seriously; is it a question of strategy or of Obama's honor, because I'm more concerned about the former 'cuz I want to win.)

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Nov 9, 2009 2:13:18 PM

19. Joe Marrazzo:

It wasn't a typo in a comment, it was a typo by the organizers of this boycott--not an insignificant matter.

Boycotting the DNC is a big boy project, and you should be able to write and proofread like a big boy if you want to be taken seriously. I've seen judges toss out cases for less. If you want your ideas to be taken seriously, make sure you're saying what you think you're saying.

Posted by: Jack | Nov 9, 2009 2:38:38 PM

20. Signed on. Done.

Posted by: Darren | Nov 9, 2009 2:46:10 PM

21. @Matthew:

From my perspective, I'd rather see attempts, GENUINE attempts, fail than see the administration do nothing at all AND issue statements which hurt our community.

Posted by: DR | Nov 9, 2009 3:28:59 PM

22. We have a president with an open mind, we should support him so the parties can see the goodness in our gay hearts. You can attract more flies with honey than someone bitter. I ask you how would you handle everything that he faces everyday. He tries so hard to keep a balance. There is no way one man can please everyone. I say behave children and let father lead our country with our love and understanding that he is looking for ways to make all happy. Don't bite the hand that reaches out to us.

Posted by: Duane | Nov 9, 2009 7:26:55 PM

23. While I will not boycott anyone for their American right to support right-wing causes (i.e. Manhunt), I WILL boycott Democrats who are supposed to be on my team but don't do anything for me. Sign me up.

Posted by: Bakeley | Nov 9, 2009 7:50:32 PM

24. You cannot resurrect a failed democracy. Too many Americans are just plain stupid, corrupt or prejudiced to sustain one. Why would any American uphold any law or constitution that excludes them? The nation born from slavery has run its course. Nothing lasts forever. The USA is essentially 50 separate countries barely held together from the start. A handful of those fifty still hold onto democracy and human rights, the majority have failed, as doomed as the Soviet Union.

Posted by: Daniel | Nov 10, 2009 1:14:39 AM

25. If I were a politician, I wouldn't care too much about this either. The community activists seem to know everything about politics. That is. except where to go on election day.

Voter turnout among LGBT folks is pretty dismal. In mid-term elections, they're about 2% of the electorate. And even in presidential election years, it is never more than 4%. This is a pathetic level of participation from a group that claims to represent upwards of 10% of the overall population. That means 8 out of every 10 LGBT persons don't even vote on a regular basis.

And it is rather annoying when the same radicals who claim all straights are "the enemy" are a mere 2% of the 48% that votes to uphold same-sex marriage. Going after your allies after they just fought a losing battle - where you didn't even bother to show up because American Idol was on - is very off-putting.

A majority of Democrats now support same-sex marriage. It is still a slim majority, But it is growing slowly every year. The vast majority of Democrats - like 80% - support all the other gay rights stuff. And this sort of talk simply turns them off.

Why should they comp a constituency that isn't even willing to play in the casino?

Posted by: John | Nov 10, 2009 2:21:46 AM