Rupert Everett: ‘I Would Not Advise Any Actor…to Come Out’

Every six months, it seems, actor Rupert Everett gives another interview, in which he warns of the dangers of being out in Hollywood.

It's that time again. Everett

Says Everett to The Guardian: "The fact is that you could not be, and still cannot be, a 25-year-old
homosexual trying to make it in the British film business or the
American film business or even the Italian film business. It just
doesn't work and you're going to hit a brick wall at some point. You're
going to manage to make it roll for a certain amount of time, but at
the first sign of failure they'll cut you right off. And I'm sick of
saying, 'Yes, it's probably my own fault.' Because I've always tried to
make it work and when it stops working somewhere, I try to make it work
somewhere else. But the fact of the matter is, and I don't care who
disagrees, it doesn't work if you're gay…It's not that advisable to be honest. It's not very easy. And,
honestly, I would not advise any actor necessarily, if he was really
thinking of his career, to come out."

Things are worse, now, Everett says, than they were a few years ago. "It's worse now. A gay man can only do drag. I've been reduced to drag. The next stop is probably The Dick Emery Show for me."

Of his co-starring role with Madonna in The Next Best Thing, Everett writes: "I have never read such bad reviews in my life. It blew my
new career out of the water and turned my pubic hair white overnight."

He's also still not a fan of civil partnerships or marriage: "If you want to have a marriage with some bad-tempered cow from Camden
Council officiating, then you must have that, and I think it's nice
that you can have it. But I liked being a poof when it was illegal,
frankly; it gave me a sense of being outside."

Previously…
Rupert Everett Introduces His New Face [tr]
Rupert Everett Rips Michael Jackson: 'He Was a Freak' [tr]
Rupert Everett Wonders Why He Sits 'Unf*cked' in His Hotel Room [tr]

Comments

1. Nathan says

What a pant load. None of his sad-sack story comes from being gay. It comes from being a bad actor.

He’d be better off advising bad actors to avoid Hollywood. Quit the self-loathing shit, queen.

2. Walter says

What a pathetic unwell person.

If the man had talent the work would come – but who wants to see this guy do anything after becoming a tragic bitter queen.

And if he loves being on the outside … he should move to Kansas.

3. Walter says

Just realized it was 10 years ago next month when he jogged by me in South Beach — the day the Millennium.

I remember thinking how empty, arrogant and unattractive his personal energy was at it passed by …. split second judgement turned out to be true

4. Marcus says

Gee, bitter much?

While he is talented, he really does think he is entitled to a career. His career didn’t sink because he came out, it was due to the fact that he made one bad choice after another in the movies he agreed to appear in.

Now there are a few actors working today that probably would have a hard time–mainly the
    older ones and due to the fact that they made
    a career out of being, well, straight. The youngins (ie Efron) would be fine.
    BTW, Rupert loves being the outsider. I think that plays into this as well. If you come out, your not really part of the boys club anymore.

5. John says

While I don’t normally comment on celebrities, he felt the need to interject himself into politics. Which makes him fair game.

The man has come out – no pun intended – against same-sex marriage, adoption, anti-discrimination laws, and now homosexuality itself. I am just waiting for the “born again” declaration at this point. That’s one way to revive your career it seems.

As for being an arrogant, upper class prick who likes being above the law more than a part of it, Everett probably enjoys the antiquated, Victorian idea of sailing down the Nile with a bunch of cabin boys and “getting away with it.” This was, in fact, how many gay English aristocrats went about their business in the 19th century.

6. SteveDenver says

So he’s privileged and had an extremely long stretch of handsomeness, and now he’s bitter and blames being out? Let’s see, without homosexuality, where would Rupert’s career be: Another Country nixed, My Best Friend’s Wedding nixed, and even the clunker with Madonna (which I’m sure generated a lovely paycheck) nixed. He has about 54 films to his credit, countless TV credits, two films coming up, and he complains.

It is so much more charming and magnetic when an actor like Ian McKellen talks about how coming out set him free and stopped the speculators, because they had no secret with which to threaten him.

Is he just trying to make an ugly name for himself so he can return to headlines? Did he not manage his money? He has lost my enthusiasm.

Tragic old chicken chaser (yep, his coked-up antics precede him).

7. qjersey says

“he made one bad choice after another”

An acting coach I used to know said “British actors show up for a paycheck as their industry is so small. Americans wait around for ‘art’.”

Regardless, it remains to be seen what NPH career will be like after his TV ends its run.

In the meantime Rupert, when life hands you lemons, try making lemonade.

BTW, I did love St. Trinians and am looking forward to the sequel.

8. Walter says

Doug Berman’s agist body facist comment is abhorant — and not based on the reality of the wonderful inclusive gay clubs I have experienced in San Francisco, Amsterdam, Barcelona, New York, Key West, P-Town and all over New England…. clubs where all are welcomed to have fun. I assume he goes to other places that cater to childish tools.

9. SteveDenver says

BTW, DOUG BERMAN: I and my friends have almost aged out of clubbing as a habit (27–30) and it’s interesting to read that you think fat 40-year-olds don’t belong in clubs. We bring our fun older friends out once in a while so they can buy drinks, dance and take in all the male beauty. Why are you there? If you’re lucky, you might be older one day and bitch-queens (as you are now) will say something similar.

I challenge you to make some older friends and discover what a wonderful world they live in: peers with club owners, restaurant owners, fashion store owners, gallery owners, entertainment publicists, on and on and on. Their access is quite heady and they’re happy to drag along polite, friendly, well-presented younger queers who know how to converse and appreciate. I found my wonderful job through this network.

10. Legible Lad says

@Q JERSEY

You must be a shite acting coach, because the majority of American cinema is anything but “art.” American actors will rush to eat roaches out of a toilet if they can get on-screen — big or little.

British actors, directors, writers and film projects nabbed nigh 45% of American film awards in the past six years, but America produces six times as many films. Meanwhile, Hollywood produces 38 times as many films as France, but French films take almost 1/4 of independent cinema box office. (Variety, July 2009)

11. says

I’m with you Matthew! Uganda, driver — AND STEP ON IT!

A once very promising career has gone to bloody hell because he’s such a fucking cunt! His co-star in “Another Country” — Colin Firth — has just received the greatest notices of his very distinguished career for the film version of Isherwood’s “A Single Man.” Could Rupert have done that part?

AS IF!!!!!

Years ago he optioned the “Ambrose” chapter of Isherwood’s “Down There on a Visit.” He was to star in this a clelf of infamous boytoy Denham Fouts. Tony Richardson was goign to direct. But then he picked a fight with Tony, and that was that.

IOW he has LONG been his own worst enemy.

12. sydneyrules says

a few points.

1.come on, hes is talented. to be so bitchy.
    2.i can imagine that hollywood can be very unforgiving when they feel you are no longer “hot”. its must be difficult to even get a reading.
    3.yes, he is bitter and conceited and i can see why he and madge got along. 2 cunts (albeit talented) blowing air up each others asses.
    4.are madonna movies really THAT bad? i mean they are not good but ive seen worse.
    5.he just needs to shut up. hes talking all this backwards nonsense about gay marriage etc. and sending us back a few steps instead of supporting the gay movement.

13. elcamino says

Doug Berman has figured out how to stop time and pick needless fights with people who haven’t. Good luck with that Doug Berman. No need to concern yourself with reaping what you’ve sowed.

Rupert Everett has finally figured out how to signpost his assholery with every comment he utters. He’s a awful bellows. A representative of the reactionary upper class twit that they used to mass produce in England.

14. New Jersey Girl says

QJERSEY:

I really think NPH is not going to have any problems after “How I met You Mother” ends. First, he’s funny as hell. Second, he is playing an OVERLY straight pussy hound and the hetero’s who watch this show (boosting it into a top rated position each week) love him too. And did i mention, He’s funny as Hell?

NPH has done the impossible. He has connected with both sides of the aisle and alienated noone. The same definitely cannot e said for R.E _ Even most of us gays can’t stand him.

The Future bodes extremely well for NPH’s career. Not bad for a Skinny little kid who started off as “Doogie Howser, MD”!

15. George McGinnis says

I’m sure Sir John Gielgud and Ian McKellen would agree; you can’t have any sort of longevity in this industry if you are openly gay. What am I saying, they already have. maybe it is time that Rupert accepted his only limitation is his acting skills. If he were more aggressive in pursuing a variety of roles in a variety of genre’s he could learn from the experience and overcome those limitations instead of making excuses and worse yet, discouraging a younger generation of actors from living their lives openly, and still attaining their full potential. Shame on you Rupert.

16. Jeffrey says

I’ve been an out actor since 1979. I have enjoyed sufficient employment since to earn a comfortable living. I probably have been denied some work because of being out but I don’t regret it for a minute.
    I don’t have the fame that prompts a major newspaper to ask my thoughts about the compatibility of acting and homosexuality but I do have two things that Rupert seems to lack: self respect and happiness (a great source of which is a husband who has loved me and stood by me for over 15 years). I think I made the right choice and would advise any gay actor to do the same.

17. says

Poor Rupert One-Note…fixated on the hell of Once Having Been Hot. He’s getting dreadfully tiresome, and in a way that shows increasing signs of panic. Not terribly attractive, really.

He’s like one of the leading ladies of the studio era – vaguely second-tier, Virginia Bruce, say, or Claire Trevor – horrified that suddenly they’e only getting offered character or mother parts. Except that those ladies tended to manage their careers better…

18. TANK says

John Gielgud, as good an actor as he was, never denied being gay, but was extremely discreet about it until he was busted by the pigs before the wolfenden committee’s report and the subsequent sexual offences act of ’67. Further, you can’t compare stage actors like gielgud and mckellen (though undeniably great–gielgud in particular) to what rupert everett clearly could have been if he remained closeted–an A-list leading man. McKellen wasn’t in mainstream film until he was old (and thus never a sex symbol leading man), and did theater work for a good deal of his career. Further, gielgud’s talent was so obviously superior to mainstream actors that his career withstood it. These are exceptions to the rule.

19. Jeffrey says

Tank has no idea what he’s talking about. And I can’t believe anyone in 2009 on this site is advocating for staying in the closet.
    Tank- go watch “MILK” and really pay attention. And if you don’t get it then keep watching it until you do.

20. Rowan says

Wooah guys.

You really think if people came out it would be a bde of roses? Really??

With all the h8 you guys are getting in the US-killings, homophobia ect, adam’s kiss being blurred…

You really think Rupert Everette is just being bitchy?

Wow.

Er okay.

21. ty says

The problem with Rupert is that he is too ariodite and high brow to considered for supporting roles. His serious demeanor limits him, and he is too old to play the leading man. He needs to produce or direct.

22. TANK says

Jeffrey, you’re delusional. You don’t understand the hollywood machine. It’s a boys club run by men with the mentalities of frat boys. They’re very homophobic, sexist little boys with the thinnest veneer of civility. But more than that, they’re businessmen who realize that leading men can’t be gay in this climate as it’s not bankable. I guess in your delusional world, out A-list celebrities are common. How many leading men of brad pitt’s pay grade are gay and out of the closet, jeff? I’m not defending the closet, but we live in an extremely homophobic country, and the answer to that question should give you some insight into the choice to remain closeted a lot of celebrities make. John Gielgud and Ian McKellen…they’re definitely on a par with george clooney, brad pitt and even harrison ford, right? Not in terms of talent…talent only matters when it’s all you’ve got going for you–and none of those straight names only have talent working for them (and arguably, never did).

23. Jimmy/Boston says

He makes some valid points but it’s really up to the actor/actress whether they want to come out or not.
    If a man is openly gay–even if he’s the best actor in the world– he’ll never make it as a leading ladies man. The days of Rock Hudson are long gone. Women aren’t too comfortable with their sex symbol kissing men in real life, which is rather odd since it’s just acting, but that’s how it is. Besides, not all actors, gay or straight, have to be leading men.
    I never considered Rupert that great an actor, but he should be grateful for the career he’s had. I found it offensive that he mocked Michael Jackson’s plastic surgery when his own face doesn’t look like Rupert Everett anymore.

24. Justin says

The man is entitled to his opinion as are all of the commentators here. If you disagree, disagree. Are we so shallow as a community that when someone expresses a different opinion we want to send them to Uganda? Sad.

25. Jeffrey says

Tank: I think I do understand the Hollywood machine. I am an actor who works in film and television in Los Angeles. What are your qualifications for your expertise?
    Go back and read my first post in this thread. There is a heck of a lot more to life than career and money. How much success does one need to have in order to justify leading a tortured life of lies? John Travolta has had tremendous success in his career but he is known for trolling the Korean spas out here and begging young men to have sex with him in the steam room. Is that the role model you espouse? Or Kevin Spacey’s mess of a life?
    In case you can’t find my earlier post, I repeat: I am an out actor and I am not a household name. But I earn a decent living and I am proud and happy and have a wonderful husband who I love and who loves me. No one could get me to trade that for a life of fame and fortune.
    And did you finish watching “MILK” yet? Anyone who advocates for staying in the closet is part of the problem not part of the solution.

26. TANK says

Sure, there’s more to life than a career and money…but let’s be honest, jeffrey, that’s loser talk. It’s loser talk! Once again, I think that john travolta, kevin spacey, and tom cruise and everyone else in the hollywood closet made a choice. They preferenced their career and success over living authentically, and perhaps personal happiness. They aren’t role models for gay people, or anyone–nor did they claim to be. But that’s the choice one has to make.

Once again, jeffrey, how many A-list leading man/woman celebutards are openly gay?

27. says

Wow Tank, you sure are right. Look at how swimmingly Kevin Spacey’s career has gone since he decided to stay in the closet. He didn’t let that trailer incident break his stride. No sireee! He’s won TWO Oscars, and he’s always made sure to bring a beard with him to the ceremonies — even when they give perplexed ooks when Kev announces from the stage hpow much he loves them.

Just look at how much in demand he is today for Bloackbuster movies. Why had he come out he’d be as washed-up as Ian McKellen, Neil Patrick Harris and Adam Lambert!

28. TANK says

You didn’t like k-pax, DE? How about shrink? He’s a household name, and oscar winner. Maybe if he came out, he could do bad sitcoms! Or host award shows with lots of musical numbers. He’d be the light of the dark gay bar/club scene. Every buzzed queen would just loves him…yay! He’s getting old, though–past his prime, and he aged quickly (never an attractive man to begin with). Travolta’s doing disney movies with seth green… What’s your point?

29. TANK says

Yeah, I’m totally closeted, third rate cindy adams . Of course old dogs tanked, DE. That’s rather the point. You’d just prefer to deny reality, and have all closeted celebrities come out so they can be lauded by a bunch of glassy eyed queens at some nondescript bar. And even that’s not a guarantee as the harshest criticism going toward AL’s coming from the gays. We really treat our own very well.

30. LARS says

perhaps some better advice for gay actors is don’t fuck your face up with plastic surgery. Maybe the fact that Rupert looks like a busted trannie has something to do with his hire-ability.

31. FunMe says

Lars you beat me to it!

Maybe the fact that Rupert is not successful as an actor is the fact that he completely changed his “look”. I mean it’s pretty pathetic to have plastic surgery and pay lots of money and actually look worse.

It must be painful for this whore (and yes he was a prostitute in his early days according to the “book” he wrote).

I am also curious about one thing: do British gay men become bitchy old queens as soon as they turn 50?

32. Jeffrey says

Tank: Loser talk??? Are you TRYING to sound like a joke?
    “how many A-list leading man/woman celebutards are openly gay?” you asked.
    Jodi Foster is the only one I can think of at the moment. Although I don’t classify her as a “celebutard.”
    Here is a partial list of out gay actors/actresses who are at least marginally famous. All of them are making a very nice living and many of them are making millions.

Ellen Degeneres
    George Takei
    Scott Thompson
    Lily Tomlin
    Tommy Tune
    Jack Wetherall
    B.D. Wong

How many openly gay politicians have been President of the United States?
    None? Then no politician should be openly gay.
    How many A-list Pro Baseball or Basketball players are openly gay?
    None?
    Then no athlete should come out of the closet.
    Attitudes like yours are archaic and destructive.
    If behaving as if you are ashamed of who you in order to rise to the top of the heap is a good idea to you, that’s your problem.
    Luckily, you are in the minority and that group is getting smaller all the time.
    Oh, have you watched “Milk” yet? Tell me what you learned from it.

33. TANK says

“But unless they are leading men/women who are on the A-list then no gay actors should come out of the closet or live their lives honestly?”

Hafta be honest, I haven’t heard of a lot of those names…and I’m like most people in that respect. If you’ve got a chance in your youth to be an A-list celebrity (leading man/woman material), go for it or else you WILL wind up like neil patrick harris or b.d. wong…or george takei (who was closeted when he HAD A CAREER–throughout that active career he was deep in the closet)…I’m sure every aspiring gay actor dreams of peaking at b.d. wong’s celebrity or portia rossi. Keep in mind, most of these names never had a chance of being A-listers (and that includes neil patrick harris). Now you’re just sounding lame.

And of course NOW rupert looks like botched vivisection…but he didn’t always look like that.

34. TANK says

Rather, you’ll wind up like neil patrick harris if you’re extremely lucky; and you aren’t, so you won’t (not you, jeffrey, that was the royal we). And even NPH was closeted for most of his career. I am not defending the closet, however. I think it’s disgusting, and an indication of how far we have to go. This is merely a practical suggestion–not political, as it would be beneficial to gay enfranchisement have more well known names come out of the closet. I wouldn’t be associated with anyone who’s closeted, and avoid people like that…but, if you have a shot at big time celebrity…

35. TANK says

And I did see MILK, where a straght actor portrayed a gay civil rights leader. And he was excellent at it…but my views are just anachronistic and totally irrelevant.

36. El Brucio says

Wow, talk about shooting the messenger. Rupert Everett may have pissed in your cornflake some morning, but that still doesn’t mean he’s wrong.

Coming out at the start of an acting career is still going to be very limiting in this day and age if you have aspirations of being an A-list celebrity.

Hopefully that will change soon, but at the moment, this is still in effect. Casting directors do not want an openly gay actor playing a leading man or an action hero, because all they need is TMZ posting pictures of them kissing their boyfriend in public and it will shave millions off of the box office returns.

37. says

“Hafta be honest, I haven’t heard of a lot of those names…and I’m like most people in that respect.”

Uh, no. Most people aren’t as pathetically clueless as you.

“And even NPH was closeted for most of his career.”

Yes it was so shocking that he didn’t come out at 10!

38. BobN says

Ya know, a lot of actors make “bad choices” and still go on to stardom. Rupert is probably right. Had he not come out, he’d probably have a bigger career. Just because it’s true doesn’t mean staying in the closet is the best choice for a young actor. It might have been a better choice for Everett, since he seems to value his career above all else and, unlike a lot of people, would have really enjoyed a furtive sex life conducted in the shadows.

39. says

But that’s ridiculous. If he wanted ‘a furtive sex life conducted in the shadows” he would never have written “Hell Darling, Are Your Working? ” and “The Hairdresser of St. Tropez.” The bottom line is Rupert has fucked up his career all by his won little self and rather thatn face his failures he wants to blame everything on someone or something else. Were he not the raging cunt that he is he’d be one of the biggest stars ever — instead of a raging has-been.

40. jeffrey says

“Hafta be honest, I haven’t heard of a lot of those names”
    Then you just confirmed that you have no idea what you are talking about. Actually, you said it best: “… my views are just anachronistic and totally irrelevant.” Your big example was John Gielgud.
    Nuff said.

41. RedCedar says

Doesn’t Everett have a reputation as an unprofessional prima donna who is incredibly difficult to work with?

I can’t find the citation now, but I could have sworn that years ago I read a letter in The Advocate from John Schlesinger’s partner, photographer Michael Childers, that laid a huge chunk of the responsibility for the stroke that essentially ended John Schlesinger’s life at the feet of Everett and the difficulties he created on the set of The Next Best Thing.

42. Zach says

There are obviously personal, practical reasons for actors not to come out, and I’m sure agents and managers make their clients well aware of them.

Nevertheless, from a group standpoint, the best salve to cultural homophobia is to have a prominent actor openly come out, and then live their life. I wouldn’t advise an ardent activist; it’s alright to march in parades, but advocacy should largely be left to those not in the entertainment industry (even when entertainers make a good point, it’s callously dismissed because of the source). But visibility and notability are key. And yes, for up and comers, you may hit a wall, but if enough are forthright, if they dispel the illusion of heterosexuality, then Hollywood thinking might begin to change.

Even within the personal realm, I don’t think I could live like Jodie Foster – never attending events with my partner, or acknowledging them as such. I think I’d rather struggle to surmount the wall.

43. TANK says

I can’t tell anymore whether or not DE’s being deliberately obtuse or is just missing the boat yet again. No one’s debating that Rupert chose to come out of the closet (including him). It was a career mistake.

“Then you just confirmed that you have no idea what you are talking about. Actually, you said it best: ‘… my views are just anachronistic and totally irrelevant’. Your big example was John Gielgud.”

You’re so right, Jeff. I mean Sir Gielgud (and he wasn’t my example, to be clear) just couldn’t hold a candle to the likes of Andy Dick… And Noel Coward was no Cheyenne Jackson… Oy.

44. FunMe says

OK Tank we heard your “opinion” and we’re pretty much done paging down and ignoring your stupid rants.

Just get lost now, we could care less what you say.

45. Rob says

I read his book. For the first few chapters I was bored and ready to put it down, but kept reading. Actually, this guy is very intelligent and has some wisdom going on, in the end I found the book pretty enlightening and true to life. I am tired of being told I have to ‘come out’ (of where?), support gay unions, etc. Must we all think alike, have the same politics? Life goes by in a hurry so do what you want, when and how you want.
    p.s. Everybody at any age needs to go out once in awhile, it does a person good. Youth is great, enjoy it as it only lasts a few years. I am not going to spend my life judging my worth by comparing ages…..

46. MCnNYC says

Rupert Everett has Joan Rivers previously botched face.

The last good thing this A-Hole did was write “Hello Darling Are You Working”
    Must be still be working the kneepads of the Velvet Mafia to get the animated roles at least…cause he has become as shallow of an actor as self hating Kevin Spacey has become.

47. hadassah weinreb says

Andy must post this Rupert stuff merely to tweek the comment traffic, as it is always as fothy as an Anne Coulter thread.

Despite his penchant for living his public life as if he were a character in a Oscar Wilde stage play, I love R.E’s acting chops.

I bank than most of the US doesn’t know that NPH is gay. Brit Russ Tovey is out, very successful, on the telly, & most don’t know he’s gay.

Did Spacey relocate to Britian more to live an “open secret” life than assume his theatre directorship role?

48. iain says

“If you want to have a marriage with some bad-tempered cow from Camden Council officiating, then you must have that.”
    My (American) partner and I (a Brit) were married in Camden Town Hall, London, over 2 years ago after more than 20 years of life together in the United States. The officiating Registrar was a charming, elegant woman who treated us with deep respect and sensitivity, and shed a few tears as my partner and I exchanged vows. As did her lovely Assistant. And the Camden Council staff were outstandingly helpful and supportive during the few weeks’ run-up to the Ceremony, walking us through the Labyrinthine paperwork necessary for a US/UK marriage. As was the staff at the British Consulate in Los Angeles (where we were living), who issued the ‘fiance visa’ (yes, it’s really called that) to my partner so that we could enter the UK together and be married. Everett might change his tune if he were to fall in love with a non-Brit and want to sponsor his partner into the UK to live with him. Immigration Rights were not available when we were ‘illegal’, no matter how much Everett romanticises those dreadful days.

49. meaculpa says

I like Rupert but he is naive. Hollywood deals in brands and if your brand is too gay, you won’t be getting any straight romantic leads anytime soon. The difference between NPH and RE is that NPH looks very straight; he is CONVINCING as a straight man. He hasn’t projected his sexuality out there to the extent that ol’ Rupes has. NPH looks like he could f*** a woman and might even enjoy it, RE looks like he’d be more at home bottoming in a porn movie. Mainstream american audiences ain’t buying that.

RE is right in that you have to stay closeted if you want to be a big romantic lead a la Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt kinda thing. RE should’ve carved himself a role as a character actor like McKellen, Geilgud, Simon Callow etc and all the other out UK gay actors. Now, he can’t even do that. RE queered his own pitch (no pun intended) a long time ago and is paying the price. An actor has to be able to “disappear” behind the role and to do that, needs to keep a low and neutral profile to avoid being typecast. RE is not a good enough actor to be able to transcend his own very gay public image.