Judge Seeks Public Comment as Federal Prop 8 Trial Nears

Afer

With the federal challenge to Prop 8 scheduled to begin in just days, a new website has been set up by attorneys Ted Olson and David Boies and the group opposing Proposition 8 — the American Foundation for Equal Rights.

Callawyer California Lawyer's current cover story deals with the Prop 8 trial and how Olson and Boies got involved.

TIME magazine posted a piece today on the trial: "The trial begins Jan. 11 in a 17th-floor courtroom in downtown San
Francisco, and is expected to last two to three weeks. U.S. District
Judge Vaughn Walker convenes a hearing Wednesday over whether to take
the rare step of allowing the trial to be broadcast, despite strong
objections by defenders of Prop 8 — the 2008 voter initiative that
ended gay marriage in California. Televised or not, the trial will be
the first in federal court to answer the question of whether the U.S.
Constitution forbids states like California from restricting marriage
to opposite-sex couples."

Federal Prop 8 trial judge Vaughn Walker is also seeking public comment on televising it. Olson and Boies support the broadcast of the trial while Prop 8 backers don't want their evil deeds exposed in a televised courtroom.

Comments are due Friday and should be sent to:

Hon. Phyllis Hamilton

Chair of the Rules Committee

United States Courthouse

1301 Clay Street

Oakland, CA 94612

Hon. Vaughn Walker

Chief Judge

United States Courthouse

450 Golden Gate Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102

Comments

1. Joey in CT says

I’m unsure if my voice will have any bearing as I’m not a CA resident, but I just sent out my letters to both Judge Walker and Hamilton urging them to allow the trial to be televised for the rest of the Country to witness the testimony of proponents of a law that strips minoritys of their civil rights with religious undertones.

Maybe it will help. I hope it is televised, more importantly I hope they find it to be unconstitutional. Wouldn’t that be a great day…? :)

2. Baby Jane says

As a gay American, it is imperative for me to have access to this courthouse debate as it has direct impact on my mobility as an equal person under the law in one of our “United” states.

3. stephen says

It’s an interesting strategy to ask for comment in advance… are they hoping to put pressure on judges with public opinion, are they hoping for the silliness of Yes on 8 positions to be put on record, are they hoping to have future-strategy revealed thru the public process???

I’d love an atty to weigh-in on this. Whatever occurs, it’s going to be fascinating. If only Mother Oprah would find a backbone…

4. Garst says

I’m not looking to mary another guy, but I’m sure as Hell not becoming a Mormon! I wasn’t born in this country only to have my religious freedom stripped away by a psuedo-pious assholes. That would sound so much better if I had moved here for religious freedom, but it’s still a right I WILL NOT ALLOW anyone to take away from me.

5. says

If my voice will have any bearing as I’m not a CA resident, but I just sent out my letters to both of Judge Walker and Hamilton urging them to allow the trial to be televised for the rest of the country to witness the testimony of proponents of a law.

6. says

“The trial begins Jan. 11 in a 17th-floor courtroom in downtown San Francisco, and is expected to last two to three weeks. U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker convenes a hearing Wednesday over whether to take the rare step of allowing the trial to be broadcas