Gay Adoption | George Smitherman | News

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Toronto Mayoral Candidate and Husband Approved to Adopt

Gay Toronto mayoral candidate George Smitherman and his husband Christopher Peloso have been approved to adopt a 14-month-old boy, the Toronto Star reports:

Smitherman  "No other details on the boy have been released. 'Christopher and I are very proud to share the news,' Smitherman said in a statement Sunday. 'Despite our overwhelming joy at the prospect of being parents to a beautiful baby boy, we must ask for your complete cooperation in respecting our privacy and the important legal process that governs our potential adoption.' Smitherman stressed that under Ontario law, adoption is not finalized until the completion of a 'carefully planned process.' The process allows prospective parents to begin a relationship with the child and will take at least six months. 'Until that time, our adoption is not official,' Smitherman said. 'I look forward to sharing more details when I am able.' Smitherman is Ontario's first openly gay MPP and married businessman Peloso in 2007, 13 years after the pair met and two years after they began dating. Nicknamed 'Furious George' for his aggressive political style, Smitherman has served as Ontario's deputy premier, health minister and energy minister before resigning in November to run for mayor."

Comments

1. I think it would be so cool to be raised by two gay dads.

Posted by: Rick | Feb 15, 2010 9:49:00 AM

2. IF ANYONE OUT THERE IS READING THIS: Can you please tell me what I need to download so I can view the video clips on TOWLEROAD.COM? As it is right now, the video is blank and there's a small square in the upper left-hand corner that has a smaller square (red), a blue triangle and a green circle in it. THANKS for any info!

Posted by: Dan Cobbb | Feb 15, 2010 9:58:17 AM

3. I dislike the hypocracy and bullying shown by Smitherman. Asking Giambrone to resign form TTC chair as he has too much to deal with and then having a new baby while you are running for mayor isn't fair. There is no other viable option for mayor right now so I suppose and criticism is irrelevant.

Posted by: Adam | Feb 15, 2010 1:31:47 PM

4. I'm not a George fan, but to be fair Adam, I think you're talking apples and oranges.

Giambrone has been pulling a Tiger Woods, having several affairs outside his relationship with his (female) live in partner, and has stated (via texts) that he's only in the relationship because she can benefit him politically. Nice.

George on the other hand, is simply adopting a baby with his partner - like many straights do.

Posted by: Kyle | Feb 15, 2010 10:19:04 PM

5. Adam-- there is no equivalence between Giambrone using his City Hall office for sex, giving inside info to mistresses, and lying about multiple affairs, and Smitherman being frank and honest about his partner and the adoption. Giambrone is being told by others to resign because of lack of integrity, not "having too much to deal with."

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Feb 15, 2010 10:35:30 PM

6. The beauty of politics in Toronto is that being gay or lesbian no longer has anything much to do with whether a candidate is voted on. The person who replaced Smitherman after he resigned for his mayoralty campaign is Glen Murray, first openly gay mayor of a large city in the world (Winnipeg). When I lived in the riding, I didn't vote for Smitherman because I simply thought he was too busy with his own political ambitions and agenda to even respond to his constituents. Nor did I vote for openly gay City Councillor Kyle Rae because he never met a real estate developer he didn't like while downtown Toronto is turning into the land of condos on top of condos.

Posted by: AH123 | Feb 16, 2010 3:48:22 PM