Costa Rica | Gay Marriage | News

New Costa Rican President Wants to Protect Marriage from Gays

Chinchilla

Laura Chinchilla became Costa Rica's first elected woman president yesterday. She believes gays deserve civil rights, but not marriage.

Chinchilla offers her statement (as translated by Andres Duques at Blabbeando) about same-sex unions , AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I'm never quite sure what to think about people who support full gay rights but oppose giving us "marriage". Then again, I have to wonder why give us "separate but equal" treatment? Isn't it kind of pointless to deny us the usage of a word but give us everything else? I'm confused.

Posted by: Robert | Feb 8, 2010 12:56:57 PM

2. I'm going to step out on a limb here with a blind guess that Ms. Chinchilla just might be a Christian

Posted by: B | Feb 8, 2010 1:21:12 PM

3. Ms Chinchilla? Seriously? That's not a drag name?

Posted by: hugo | Feb 8, 2010 1:29:46 PM

4. Oh not again. So many christians, so few lions.

Posted by: Rob | Feb 8, 2010 1:31:31 PM

5. I wish these people would actually listen to what comes out of their own mouths. You know, I'm for civil rights for women but surely we can come to some arrangement and keep the word President just for men.

Posted by: Observer1000 | Feb 8, 2010 1:33:47 PM

6. I'm not sure how much I care about the Costa Rican president and her opinion about my civil rights. Maybe I should care more, but right now I don't think I do.

Posted by: The Milkman | Feb 8, 2010 1:46:45 PM

7. I say...Let's give her all the powers as the President....BUT....Let's not call her a President.......Separate, but equal....Yeah, that ought to do it just fine!

Posted by: Casper | Feb 8, 2010 1:57:06 PM

8. For Central America, this isn't as horrible as it might seem. She's actually a fair deal more progressive than her electoral opponents. There are no civil unions anywhere in the region. Death squads in military ruled Honduras have been targeting gays and lesbians. And both of Costa Rica's neighbors - Nicaragua and Panama - criminalized homosexuality until 2008.

Posted by: John | Feb 8, 2010 1:58:08 PM

9. If it looks like a rodent, smells like a rodent, and has the name of a rodent it's probably a rodent.

Posted by: niles | Feb 8, 2010 2:12:36 PM

10. It's a step forward; I'll take it. Incremental, folks, incremental. To be HAVING the discussion openly in Latin American politics moves us forward from where we were. Let's get our brothers and sisters in Costa Rica closer to equality and remember that Latin America is not the USA and vice versa. If what she proposed here were to become law across CR, then in fact Costa Rica would leap AHEAD of the USA in terms of gay rights. Consider it.

Posted by: ElsieElsie | Feb 8, 2010 2:14:30 PM

11. Think about this for a moment:
    take civil unions with the SAME rights like married couples except for the word marriage (and church) but other than that no difference.

Actually gays and lesbinas in Costa Rica would have more rights than gays and lesbinas in the US...

Posted by: Martin in FLL | Feb 8, 2010 2:19:50 PM

12. Sounds like position of President Obama! But it is a HUGE step forward to be even having this conversation in Costa Rica.

Posted by: Mark | Feb 8, 2010 2:20:34 PM

13. For the record, most Costa Ricans don't really care and most don't see it as a problem. It's just the Catholic Church pushing its weight around and Ms. Chincilla's own, um, religious beliefs being sounded here. Progress is progress, I guess, considering the alternatives or lack thereof in that part of the world.

Posted by: jamal49 | Feb 8, 2010 2:57:34 PM

14. SoAmer had been doing so well electing socially progressive leaders; they got a woman, but she's too conservative.

In CR she is criticized for being too close to biz & US $ and interests...

It's impossible not to see CR as struggling to be independent despite US imperialism, it's a tiny country with a pragmatic leadership. Still it is progress.

Posted by: stephen | Feb 8, 2010 4:03:25 PM

15. listening to her she almost sold me on the idea. I like her because shes progressive. and she proposes progress.

Posted by: alex paris | Feb 9, 2010 12:30:45 AM

16. Reading the comments ... one would think Chincilla is a bigot on par with Maggie Gallagher or Pat Robertson or something. Clearly, she supports gay rights - her position is the exact same as that of Obama. Maybe she does actually support full equality (like I suspect of Obama) and just understands that marriage equality is not palpable and is unpopular with the Costa Rican public. At least she's making progress. At least Costa Rican has come far enough as to support a president who is in favour of protections for gay couples. At least this isn't Africa, Jamaica or an Islamist country. Take stock of what the situation is like for gays in Saudi Arabia and Jamaica and Uganda and maybe Chincilla's opposition to marriage won't seem so bad. At least they're actually discussing marriage, not whether or not gays should be executed.

Posted by: DavyG | Feb 9, 2010 8:23:23 AM

17. Yes, she seems pretty progressive but at the same time a pretty shrewd politician. I think she will advance gay rights as much as she can without provoking too much of a backlash.

Posted by: Joehio | Aug 29, 2010 12:05:38 PM