Arizona | Gay Marriage | John McCain | News

Listen: J.D. Hayworth, McCain's GOP Challenger in Arizona, Compares Gay Marriage to Man-Horse Marriage

Hayworth

In an interview on Florida's WORL radio station yesterday, Former Arizona congressman JD Hayworth, who is challenging Senator John McCain in Arizona, said that allowing same-sex marriage under some definitions could lead to a man marrying his horse if he really loved it, and the only way to stop it is with a federal marriage amendment.

Said Hayworth: "You see, the Massachusetts Supreme Court, when it started this move toward same-sex marriage, actually defined marriage -- now get this -- it defined marriage as simply, 'the establishment of intimacy,'. Now how dangerous is that? I mean, I don't mean to be absurd about it, but I guess I can make the point of absurdity with an absurd point -- I guess that would mean if you really had affection for your horse, I guess you could marry your horse. It's just the wrong way to go, and the only way to protect the institution of marriage is with that federal marriage amendment that I support."

Listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via huffington post)

Comments

1. Well, he is not so far off the mark. His wife has already married a horse's ass.

Posted by: MiloTock | Mar 15, 2010 12:22:00 PM

2. Well of course I want to marry a horse! My horses ass is way better looking than J.D Horwath

Posted by: Fred | Mar 15, 2010 12:23:51 PM

3. It's sad there are morons out there who will buy that BS hook, line, and sinker. People like this ass need to be permanently muzzled.

Posted by: Rich | Mar 15, 2010 12:25:18 PM

4. Those three guys standing behind him look guilty as hell to me. I think they may have been diddling the old gray mare, when no one was looking.

Posted by: Taylor | Mar 15, 2010 12:25:35 PM

5. I know some guys are hung like horses, that not a bad thing is it? lol

Posted by: George | Mar 15, 2010 12:29:36 PM

6. The cretin on the far right (literally and figuratively!) is Sheriff Joe Arpaio... who is a Dick Cheney level of evil.

Posted by: crispy | Mar 15, 2010 12:41:35 PM

7. This person makes me embarrassed to be from Arizona. He lost his House of Representatives seat to a Democrat the last time he ran. I guess now he has to go after another republican because Democrats in Arizona think he's an idiot.

This last comment proves it.

Posted by: Alfonzo | Mar 15, 2010 12:49:01 PM

8. There will never be an stupid constitutional amendment to ban same sex marriage. I can't understand how conservatives still buy this BS. But hey who am I to say?

Posted by: Rafael | Mar 15, 2010 12:52:44 PM

9. This argument is insane. I suppose he thinks people could also marry a spider, or a flea, a roach, your local raccoon, or friendly squirrel?

How will a horse sign a marriage certificate? Can the horse file a joint tax return? Would a horse be required to take an STD test before marriage?

He's a Teabagging Lunatic

Posted by: Daniel | Mar 15, 2010 1:01:55 PM

10. how sad for this state; and I live here. The GLBT community in ARizona are a bunch of pansy ass wimps.

Posted by: xman | Mar 15, 2010 1:09:31 PM

11. I have yet to encounter a horse who can say "I do."

Posted by: TC | Mar 15, 2010 1:27:20 PM

12. I have yet to encounter a horse who can say "I do."

Posted by: TC | Mar 15, 2010 1:27:20 PM

I guess this guy consulted Mr Ed...he went right to the source,and asked the horse..who gave him an answer that he endorced....he thinks he's on a steady course - for imagining talking to Mr Ed.......cause the horse says "I Do Wilbur"! LOL

Posted by: Disgusted American | Mar 15, 2010 1:34:13 PM

13. It would be great if some media outlets would run with this and tear him apart, but it appears more and more, outspoken conservatives get a free pass to spout whatever BS they want to. From this stupidity to Giuliani's claims that there were no terrorist attacks during GW Bush's term, to Palin's linking Obama with radical terrorists, no one calls these people on their lies. And far too many gullible people believe them.

Posted by: Larry | Mar 15, 2010 1:38:36 PM

14. this man has the iq of something less than a horse. the republicans are making them shelf so far out of the main stream as to be comical/no pathetic. barry goldwater must really be spinning in his grave if this is the best arizona republicans have to offer. the republicans have become the new know nothing party of the 21st century, which is good since most them live in the 19th century

Posted by: walter | Mar 15, 2010 1:39:25 PM

15. What an idiot!

Posted by: Mike | Mar 15, 2010 1:58:43 PM

16. One gets the feeling that republicons are into bestiality for all the times they mention such things when trying to argue against marriage equality. But, don't laugh. That is the logic (?) that they are using and will continue to use: that the "institution" of marriage is under threat by horse-f*cking homosexuals. And, believe me, his tea-bagging base buys into it big-time.

Posted by: jamal49 | Mar 15, 2010 2:11:12 PM

17. Amen to that, XMan. I live in Arizona, too, and it's nonsense like this that will make my departure all the sweeter. Once I've got a job arranged in a more equality-minded state, I'm GTFOing this place.

That being said, looking at Prop 102, and reading azcentral, I don't think these comments will cost him the election. And that's the central problem. Until political candidates start *losing* elections because they alienated us, change will be excrutiatingly slow.

Posted by: DN | Mar 15, 2010 2:21:30 PM

18. This man is an embarassment to all of Arizona. I mean no ill will, but I will ask the question, "why can't he just die already?" Then next step is getting Arpaio and his boy-toy Andy Thomas out of office.

Posted by: Rob | Mar 15, 2010 3:00:23 PM

19. Better to marry a horse than him!

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 15, 2010 3:46:10 PM

20. The good thing that here in AZ nobody is excited about electing McCain OR this dumb ass.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Mar 15, 2010 6:54:22 PM

21. what a pig

Posted by: David T | Mar 15, 2010 7:17:23 PM

22. I sat at a table and had lunch with this blowhard, he is from South Carolina and is trying to bring the bible belt fear mongering into Az politics. He was thrown out of office for impropriety and is trying a come back. Embarrassing, and sadly representative of the majority of the electorate here in AZ

Posted by: ty | Mar 15, 2010 8:27:54 PM

23. Rachel Maddow is interviewing Hayworth right now on her show. Hayworth disgusts me so much that I couldn't bring myself to watch the interview.

Posted by: CJ | Mar 15, 2010 9:27:35 PM

24. You SPOT it, you GOT it.
    He must've had a bad experience with an animal as a kid in S. Carolina.

Posted by: lgwolf | Mar 16, 2010 6:49:03 AM

25. What great work Rachel does. The majority opinion in the Goodridge v. [Massachusetts] Department of Public Health case uses the term "intimacy" only four times, none of which amount to what Mr. Hayworth claims. And no where in the opinion -- majority, concurring or dissentiong opinions -- does the phrase "establishment of intimacy" or anything close it appear. If one is going to claim to quote directly from a court decision and then draw important inferences, one ought not to make up the quotations.

Posted by: Kelly | Mar 16, 2010 11:34:57 AM