Movies: Burton + Depp TLA, and Oscar Weekend!

Oscar weekend is a mix of guesswork, party-planning and historic celebrity specials. Did you watch the Oprah special? She paired actors with actors to do their own interviews. Ben Affleck interviewed Best Actor nominee Jeremy Renner. Loved this bit which I agree is easy to read way too much into if you have a crush on Jeremy Renner or if you watched "I'm F***ing Ben Affleck" too many times a couple of years ago.

Picture 18 Affleck: Do you have women throwing themselves at you since you've been nominated. Do you have… is that… you're a single guy?
Renner:
[laughter] People definitely treat me differently. Men and women both...
Affleck:
[eyebrow raise] Nice.
Renner: …it's all over the place.

Later Renner asked Affleck if he would be his date if his mom got sick (yes, he's bringing his mom. Adorable) and Affleck was so excited he even offered to wear a dress. Oh boys.

Where were we. Oscars.

Best Picture Nominees

• Avatar James James Cameron's allegorical 3D sci-fi spectacle
  • The Blind Side Sandra Bullock's unexpected Oscar vehicle
  • District 9 Neil Blomkamps's 2D allegorical sci-fi spectacle
  • An Education, the coming of age drama with star-is-born Carey Mulligan
  • The Hurt Locker, Kathryn Bigelow's tense bomb diffusal Iraq drama
  • Inglourious Basterds, Quentin Tarantino's talky clever revisionist history film
  • Precious, the heavy drama about an abused illiterate teenage mother in 80s Harlem
  • A Serious Man, the Coen Bros most personal film
  • Up, the latest instant classic from Pixar
  • Up in the Air, in which loner George Clooney is ready to make a connection

Though most pundits agree that The Hurt Locker will take the top prize, it's a fine list this year overall which always makes the Oscars more enjoyable. There's only one stinker to speak of. And people love that one so I'm saying no more. The Academy done good. How many have you seen and which gets your vote for Sunday night?

Comments

1. Brian in Texas says

I could see Sandra being nominated for her performance, but the Blind Side as a whole being nominated for best picture…NO. At the very best, that movie is 10 of 10 out of those movies, but it is a good movie.

2. james says

The Blind Side one of the top 10 films of the year? I don’t think so, not in a year when you also had Where The Wild Things Are, A Single Man, Star Trek, 500 Days of Summer and Julie & Julia (all films NOT nominated).

My only hope for Sunday night is that Colin Firth’s name is called. His performance still haunts me.

3. NA says

I have only seen 5 of the nominees and my vote goes to An Education, but my vote never gets it so…:( Oh, and Go Carey! I hope Sandra crashes and burns, bwahahaha.

4. MAK says

I think the dude (Sharlto Copley) from District 9 should have been nominated for Best Actor.

It won’t win, but it was the most original film (IMHO) I saw this year…totally didn’t know where it was going to go.

5. ggreen says

This movie AIW was dumped on this weekend to try to get away from all the negative buzz surrounding it. The studio doesn’t even have faith in this turkey. It will make money because its a remake, had Depp in it and Burton directed it. Movie goers are tired of the same rehash of quirky that is in all Burton movies.

6. pip wainwright says

saw Alice yesterday…did not enjoy. Tim Burton and Johnny Depp do their usual things fine but the story is all over the shop and has no internal logic which cannot be said for the original (this isn’t the original story remade but an imagining of Alice returning to Wonderland as an adult). Spectacle with no substance.

7. Rodney says

“Inglorious Basterds” has me in their corner. I’m hoping “Hurt Locker” and “Avatar” are too polarizing and Tarantino’s pic gets the top award.