Brokeback Mountain | Catholic Church | News

Mark Wahlberg's Catholic Priest Told Him No 'Brokeback Mountain'

That Mark Wahlberg turned down a role in Brokeback Mountain has been written about. Said Wahlberg in a 2007 interview:

Wahlberg  "I met with Ang Lee on that movie, I read 15 pages of the script and got a little creeped out. It was very graphic, descriptive - the spitting on the hand, getting ready to do the thing. I told Ang Lee, 'I like you, you're a talented guy, if you want to talk about it more...' Thankfully, he didn't...I didn't rush to see Brokeback, it's just not my deal... Obviously, it was done in taste - look how it was received."

Now, the National Enquirer reports that Wahlberg turned down the role on the advice of his priest:

"The 38-year-old reformed bad boy relies on his closest confidante and longtime religious mentor, the Rev. James Flavin, to help him pick and choose his parts. 'Mark is a practicing Catholic, and he never makes a final decision on a starring role until Father Flavin gives his OK,' an insider revealed to The Enquirer. 'Mark says he owes his career to Father Flavin.' ... 'Father Flavin pushes Mark to honor his religious roots,' said the source. 'Even though Mark was offered one of the leads in Brokeback Mountain, he passed because of the gay subject matter, which clashes with Catholic doctrine.'"

Of course, playing a coke and meth-addicted hustler with a 10-inch penis in Boogie Nights was fine.

Comments

1. His Priest approved Shooter, in which he literally shoots a kijillion people?

What a homophobic asshole. In addition, he's not half the actor Heath Ledger was, assuming he was reading for that role.

Did anyone see The Happening? Wahlberg as a science teacher? Laughter ensues.

Posted by: Marco | Apr 28, 2010 11:46:46 AM

2. jeeesch.... is religion not OVER yet?!!

Why are all these people SO lost?

Posted by: stephen | Apr 28, 2010 11:48:50 AM

3. Ah, the Catholic Triple Standard. Well that saves me money in the future.

Posted by: Hank | Apr 28, 2010 11:49:22 AM

4. Hey Wahlberg -- SUCK IT! Now that I know this - I won't waste a penny EVER, or even my free time viewing anything you have to do with! Stuff your Buy-Bull up your Ass...and go suck your Preist cock

Posted by: Disgusted American | Apr 28, 2010 11:49:27 AM

5. Dropping his pants and grabbing his calvin clad cock while performing in gay clubs for $$$ was fine too.

Posted by: peter friend | Apr 28, 2010 11:50:36 AM

6. So Boogie Nights was fine. I guess playing a professional thief in "The Italian Job" is another Christian role. What a crock of BS. Thankfully USA Today is out with a new poll saying young people are not devout. Hope is on the way.

Posted by: Gadfly | Apr 28, 2010 11:52:56 AM

7. Well keep going to your religious mentor for career advice then, he's obviously making good choices for you such as The Big Hit, Planet of the Apes, The Italian Job, Shooter, The Happening, Max Payne.

What a homophobic douche, people like that who work within the creative arts always make me laugh, (sorry to stereotype but) who do you think does all the set design, costumes, hair & make-up and so much more?

Fucking prick

Posted by: Rob | Apr 28, 2010 11:55:08 AM

8. I suppose Father Flavin approved the homoerotic pandering to the gay community, the hustling he did in Calvin Klein underwear. Mr. Whalberg cruised the crap out of me in a sneaker store in the Beverly Center back in 1994. This is more about "Marky Mark's" discomfort with his own bisexuality. His own homophobia. Nothing more nothing less.

Posted by: David C. | Apr 28, 2010 11:56:40 AM

9. Tell your mother I said hi.

Posted by: Daniel | Apr 28, 2010 11:58:02 AM

10. ...For all you queens that say that Lady Gaga supports gays for our money, at least SHE contributes back....THIS closet case was MADE by his appearances at gay bars with his pants around his ankles....I'm sure that he has some resentment from those strip shows...and whatever happened AFTER those shows....Oh FATHER, for I have sinned...

Posted by: KB | Apr 28, 2010 11:59:06 AM

11. Excuse me, but since when is the National Enquirer a reliable source for inside information?

It doesn't sound like Wahlberg makes any comment the priest part...and LOTS of actors passed on those roles...(THANK GOD). So I wonder if this isn't all just a concoction to sell papers.

On another note...

I had a picture book from when he was young, hot Marky Mark, and I remember one of the pull quotes (how could yo forget it?) was:

"Flav is the coolest muther fu*ker I know"

...Could this the Flav he was talking about?

Posted by: rich | Apr 28, 2010 11:59:39 AM

12. He'd be a friggib' NOBODY if he hadn't let the gays salivate all over his Calvin Klein brief photos back in the day...he never was the brightest bulb, typical that he is still caught up in the web of religious hypocrisy (kill people on screen, fine...play a gay, not so much)...

Say Hello to ya mother, douchebag.

Posted by: Dennis | Apr 28, 2010 12:01:04 PM

13. don't be too quick to diss the National Enquirer... after all, it was they that brought us Rielle Hunter and John Edwards as baby-daddy.

Posted by: stephen | Apr 28, 2010 12:04:28 PM

14. All I can say is thank you Father for having him pass on that role. Can you imagine what it be without Heath or Jake. Sometimes things just work out for the best.

Posted by: pete | Apr 28, 2010 12:07:51 PM

15. It's amazing that this Wahlberg creep who took a tire iron to the head of an older Chinese-American man and left him for dead, permanently blinding the man in one eye has the audacity to present himself as a paragon of morality --rejecting the creepy (read: homosexual) role in Brokeback Mountain. What a vile little man he is!
    No wonder he consorts with the human waste that is the RC church. Boogie nights is OK but a deep loving relationship between two men is too disgusting... creepy! And yet the priests are doing the dirty with other men ALL THE TIME! I know, believe me, I know! It's a testament to how stupid many Catholics must be to stay in that loathesome church.

Posted by: Dan Cobb | Apr 28, 2010 12:13:49 PM

16. Interesting that being in a movie about two men in love that was tastefully done and acclaimed was not acceptable, but producing a series like Entourage where women are objectified and gay slurs are thrown all over the place is acceptable.

Posted by: Tim | Apr 28, 2010 12:16:15 PM

17. Why all defensive Marky Mark? Mind you, I couldn't see Wahlberg in either leading role myself, but he did miss out on the opportunity to make an iconic film.

Posted by: Sean R | Apr 28, 2010 12:19:48 PM

18. I wonder how he feels about his brother being in a boy band with a gay man.

I never like him to begin with because I think he has no talent whatsoever besides looking good in a pair of briefs. His acting is really mediocre at best. Oh and don't forget the whole rapper-wannabe phase that he went through - the horror.

Posted by: gayalltheway | Apr 28, 2010 12:21:14 PM

19. Funny when straight men can't watch a film that involves (but doesn't actually show) a sex scene between two men but I'm sure he'd have no problem watching Dexter or Saw or something equally gruesome.

It says a lot about their insecurity. How many times do we see a film with heterosexual sex depicted? So often its like nothing, we don't even think about it.

Some straight people are just so fragile.

Posted by: Wes | Apr 28, 2010 12:23:24 PM

20. "I told Ang Lee, 'I like you, you're a talented guy."

wow, patronizing much? dipshit.

Posted by: Rich | Apr 28, 2010 12:23:24 PM

21. Religion poisons everything.

Posted by: Eugene | Apr 28, 2010 12:31:06 PM

22. "An insider"? Yeah thanks I'll get my information from more reliable sources.

Posted by: Matt McD | Apr 28, 2010 12:37:39 PM

23. The very idea of "Marky" Mark Wahlberg telling Ang Lee "You're a talented guy..." is so laughable to be ridiculous. Mark Wahlberg is a rube. Talentless, homophobic, ignorant, and now... it would seem... Catholic. I wonder what his Priest thought about his semi-nude Calvin Klein ads, where he "grabs his junk." Oh yeah... of course the Priest liked those. Duh.

Posted by: Scott | Apr 28, 2010 12:37:50 PM

24. Thus explaining why I haven't watched a movie of his SINCE Boogie Nights (1997).

Posted by: jakeinlove | Apr 28, 2010 12:37:54 PM

25. His character in "Boogie Nights" attempts to jerk off in a truck for a male fan?? Homosexual masturbation...two biggies on the Catholic "don't take that script" list. Geez.

Posted by: Piper | Apr 28, 2010 12:49:19 PM