Dick Cheney | Eric Massa | New York

Eric Massa In Esquire Magazine

Former New York Congressman Eric Massa is profiled in a lengthy article in the new issue of Esquire Magazine. The piece reveals some interesting information such as Massa's claim that Dick Cheney attempted to convince General David Petraeus to run as the GOP candidate for president in 2012. We also learn that Massa tried to commit suicide not once, but twice around the time he resigned from office.

6a00d8341c730253ef01310f7c42df970c-200wi

Massa, who you may recall admitted that he groped and tickled a male staff member, talks to the article's author, Ryan D'Agostino, about his political career:

"I'm done," he says. "Finito. I got people on the Right wanting me to run for Senate, I got people on the Left want to burn me in hell, I got people in the White House trying to convince everybody that I'm a gay rapist going after dogs, I got people in the press, I mean, it's" — he makes the sound of an explosion with his mouth — "all Massa all the time on every news channel. I mean, what?"

Massa also manages to make a vague, seemingly flirtatious comment about gay bars directed at D'Agostino, though he does refrain from using any "salty language." Writes the author:

"Massa, exercised by the rigors of moral suasion, leaned back in his chair, suddenly at ease. He took the last gulp of his coffee, cold by now, and looked at me with a mischievous glint in his eye. "What are you, seventeen?" He turned to another editor and pointed at me. "What is he, seventeen?" Turning back to me, he laughed and said, "You better watch yourself around gay bars, my friend. It could get interesting."

Comments

1. I rail against the closet as much as the next guy and certainly Massa is responsible for his own actions. But sometimes I look as these guys who've wasted so much of the lives and think, "Nobody is born a fucked up hypocrite. It takes years of training to become that big a mess."

I also think, "There but for the grace of Armistead Maupin and the circa 1978 Anne Arundel County Public Library system go I."

What's possible the best part of this story is still to come. Really, what now, Eric? Now that playing the game has blown up in your face, everyone on the planet knows it, and you've nothing left to lose? What do you think you'll do? I've heard it's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Posted by: Bryan Harrison | May 24, 2010 3:36:04 AM

2. WOW!!...I guess it's just a matter of time before he finally admits it all. Maybe after his wife leaves him then he'll do it!

Poor Soul!

Posted by: Chris | May 24, 2010 6:00:55 AM

3. What is this supposed to mean?:

"What is he, seventeen?" ... "You better watch yourself around gay bars, my friend. It could get interesting."

As if gay people are after 17 year olds or something? That's pretty stupid.

Posted by: beegee | May 24, 2010 7:56:33 AM

4. Ryan D'Agostino is very, very cute.

Posted by: JeffNYC | May 24, 2010 8:06:50 AM

5. What a creepy man. Just plain creepy.

Posted by: dave02657 | May 24, 2010 8:51:00 AM

6. i thought he was cancerous again? isn't that why he resigned his post?

Posted by: gary Armstrong | May 24, 2010 8:55:21 AM

7. Jeez, it's like he just can't help himself. A true creep.

Posted by: Adam Sank | May 24, 2010 8:59:48 AM

8. 17? What an icky letch - he looks like Danny Devito as the Penguin. Bleh!

Posted by: Steamy Vicks | May 24, 2010 9:02:18 AM

9. mouthbreather.

Posted by: rascal | May 24, 2010 9:03:48 AM

10. This is the comment he makes when trying to convince people that his ISN'T gay?

The man is a total mess; and EXTREMELY creepy total mess.

I guess when you go to gay bars that cater to deeply closeted married men you expect them to illegally let in 17 year old boys to serve as bait for creepy old predators with no sense of boundaries and limits. This would be the kind of gay bar that Massa is familiar with and hence he must think it is typical of all gay bars.

Posted by: TampaZeke | May 24, 2010 10:00:28 AM

11. massa is a problem for the repeal of DADT. he is a closet case who used his position to climb into bed with subordinates. this makes evrybody think all gays act like this. not true i spent 30 months in the army and never climbed into bed with another serviceman and neither did most serving LGBT
    people.masa just hates himself for who he is that's too bad.

Posted by: walter | May 24, 2010 10:45:22 AM

12. To say he is delusional is an understatement. No one on the 'right' wants him to run for any office, the left thinks he is a joke and the White House is just glad he is gone.

Sadly the last to cut him loose will be his wife, as long as he lies to himself and her, she will believe him. As for his future, who would ever want to hire him as a lobbyist or as a rep for them?

Posted by: patrick nyc | May 24, 2010 11:17:43 AM

13. So why does nobody want to consider the issues that

--He supported universal health care and stood in the way of the Rahm/Barack coalition's corporatized plans.

--He is concerned about an American warlord becoming an American president and hardening this nation's militarism.

Why is everyone jumping up and down about some gropes, or whatever?

I'll tell you why. For the same reason any criticism of Barack Obama is called racist. They are gaming homophobia the same way they gamed racism.

Scary times. It apparently takes a crazy person to see.

Posted by: Julio | May 24, 2010 2:01:35 PM