California | Harvey Milk | News

Bakersfield School Trustee Who Threw Punch at 'No on 8' Supporter Now Wants 'Harvey Milk Day' Banned

Mettler

Ken Mettler, a school board trustee at Kern High School District in Bakersfield, California, does not want the school to recognize Harvey Milk Day, he told a packed meeting of the Board on Monday night.

Mettler2  Said Mettler: "Harvey Milk does not rise to the level of a special day of recognition."

The Bakersfield Californian reports: "Milk, one of the first openly gay men elected to public office in California, did not accomplish enough to merit a commemoration, he said. 'He is not the character portrayed in the movie,' Mettler told a standing-room only crowd. 'He is not a martyr...

The school board will debate the issue again at the next meeting on May 19:

"What likely won't be debated again is another Mettler proposal introduced Monday in which he asked the district to support a Senate bill establishing Ronald Reagan Day, which would fall on Feb. 6. That passed 4-1, with Heinrich voting against it, saying he didn't want to add any more state observances. The state holds several observances under education code including John Muir Day and California Poppy Day. Mettler said someone like Reagan, who served as California's governor and U.S. president, deserved recognition. But Milk, he said, served less than a year as a supervisor.'"

Mettler told the Californian last week: "This is something I truly believe in, and the timing makes sense. Harvey Milk does not rise to that level of recognition. These days should be reserved for those who have had a major impact."

Ken Mettler has a record of trying to beat down gay rights — literally. During the Proposition 8 debate in California before the bill passed, he was filmed removing signs from a protest and then taking a swing at a "No on 8" supporter. Mettler claims he was acting in self defense.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP (warning: language)...

Comments

1. I can see him swerving away from Badlands any day now.

Posted by: Anders | May 4, 2010 12:20:54 PM

2. Can we please send Bakersfield back to Mississippi where it belongs?

Posted by: John | May 4, 2010 12:29:48 PM

3. You're right, Anders. He'll be caught with a rent boy any day now.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 4, 2010 12:37:06 PM

4. Pure Republican scum. Tch,"Ronald Reagan Day" indeed. "These days should be reserved for those who have had a major impact" Yeah, Reagan had a major impact, a majorly BAD impact, but all the Republicans fawn over him 24/7.

Posted by: ravewulf | May 4, 2010 12:56:24 PM

5. 1st- I am so glad that I got out of Bakersfield when I had the chance

2nd- Harvey Milk only served less that a year as supervisor because he was murdered by a homphobe who blamed it on twinkies!!

what a crock of a reason not to honor him. I wonder if the school board ever gave any commendations to Roy Ashburn?

Posted by: jon | May 4, 2010 1:27:44 PM

6. I hear ya Jon, I'm Bako refugee as well. If I didn't have family and friends there I'd never set foot in the fucking place .... well maybe for the basque food.

Posted by: REYnoldo | May 4, 2010 1:36:56 PM

7. "He is not a martyr..."

It's not often one can respond to that simply by saying "Yeah, he is." If Milk isn't a martyr, I don't know what the word means.

Posted by: Bryan Harrison | May 4, 2010 1:46:42 PM

8. "'He is not the character portrayed in the movie,' Mettler told a standing-room only crowd."

However, it appears that Mettler is the character played by Josh Brolin.

Posted by: Strepsi | May 4, 2010 3:26:26 PM

9. I believe the first (this year's) Harvey Milk Day will be on a Saturday. Some schools may use this as a cop-out.

I would like to know what Corona Del Mar High School is planning for Harvey Milk Day.

Posted by: A.G. | May 4, 2010 11:52:31 PM