Eminem | Gay Marriage | News

BigGayDeal.com

Eminem Comes Out in Support of Gay Marriage

Eminem

In a recent interview with Deborah Solomon in the NYT, rapper Eminem states his support for gay marriage:

NYT: You’ve been accused of writing gay-bashing lyrics in the past. Would you like to see gay marriage approved in Michigan, where you live?

EMINEM: I think if two people love each other, then what the hell? I think that everyone should have the chance to be equally miserable, if they want.

NYT: Is this the new, 37-year-old tolerant you?

EMINEM: It’s the new tolerant me!

Comments

1. Cue the angry backlash in three... two...

I've been a fan of Eminem for years and I never really felt like he was truly homophobic. You can regurgitate his lyrics all you want, but he did perform on stage with Elton John.

Posted by: David | Jun 17, 2010 8:43:45 AM

2. I guess Elton's musical detente must have planted some seeds of peace in the boy

Posted by: Greg | Jun 17, 2010 8:47:59 AM

3. I'm really digging Sinead O'Connor's tough new look.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 17, 2010 8:50:30 AM

4. first of all, this means nothing. He knows full well his fans dont read the Times.

Secondly, who cares what a no-talent piece of crap like Eminem thinks about OUR rights? He's not going to lift a finger to help us!

Posted by: dizzy spins | Jun 17, 2010 9:02:44 AM

5. Men who look like old lesbians is quite a funny website. I expect you'll be seeing his portrait there shortly.

Posted by: yonkersconquers | Jun 17, 2010 9:04:59 AM

6. This is obviously an "I don't care", not a "I support you" statement.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 17, 2010 9:05:27 AM

7. I'd rather see people don't care than actively working to deny you rights to be honest.

Posted by: Alco | Jun 17, 2010 9:10:15 AM

8. David, Rush Limbaugh recently paid Elton John to perform at his wedding. Does that automatically get him a homophobe pass?

Appreciating Elton John is a very poor barometer of one's support to the gay community.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 17, 2010 9:12:05 AM

9. @David:

Yes, performing on a stage with a homosexual definitely invalidates any and all former homophobic actions and words.

Posted by: Kate | Jun 17, 2010 9:14:01 AM

10. For crying out loud people, most of us may not be Eminem fans, but give him a break. Some of you are acting like he said "I want to see all gays die" or something.

This may be more of an "I don't care" statement, but in my book that's a hell of a lot better than a "Gays shouldn't have rights" statement like we so often hear. If most of the world didn't care, then we'd probably be a lot better off than we are now.

It's the ones who care about their "sanctity of marriage" that cause us trouble.

Posted by: JAS | Jun 17, 2010 9:17:20 AM

11. Hm...progress is progress I guess.

Posted by: Pekemo | Jun 17, 2010 9:18:52 AM

12. Only a few months ago he released a song calling 3 openly gay celebrities faggots (and yes the lyrics say 'faggots' in the booklet). On the other hand, he has gone on record saying he intentionally never uses the "N" word out of his deep respect for black people/culture.

So obviously even his psychopathic alter-ego has limits, it just doesn't extend to faggots.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 17, 2010 9:21:25 AM

13. Ah, isn't it nice that he tolerates us! I'm so touched.

Posted by: n_london | Jun 17, 2010 9:22:26 AM

14. Yea of course we prefer someone be indifferent to our struggle than outright oppose it. I'm just saying lets not act like this is something its obviously not. Someone who has repeatedly been deliberately insulting incidentally drops a crumb in our direction and I'm supposed to be giddy or something?

I don't care that Eminem is indifferent to our relationships. I'm certainly not going to celebrate his indifference as if I did.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 17, 2010 9:27:20 AM

15. Is it me or does he look especially gay in that photo? He definitely has mascara on and lip gloss on those oh so pouty lips. He'll probably come out of the closet soon, or get caught having sex with another guy. Most homophobes do sooner or later.

Posted by: tooboot | Jun 17, 2010 9:29:58 AM

16. He's an entertainer. Who gives a fuck what he thinks? I'm a whole lot more interested in what a particular judge in San Francisco thinks about gay marriage than I ever will be about the views of some rapper. Enough with the star-gazing already.

Posted by: JusticeontheRocks | Jun 17, 2010 9:33:13 AM

17. @David

At the time he performed with Elton M&M famously said when asked about performing with a gay singer... and I paraphrase "I didn't know he was gay."

So there ya go.

Posted by: Allen | Jun 17, 2010 10:01:42 AM

18. The interviewer used the word tolerant first.

I think it is good he has progressed as a human.

Posted by: Walter | Jun 17, 2010 10:13:11 AM

19. Yea and I can't bring myself to believe that someone who performs on stage with Elton John in the noughties doesn't realize he's gay.

He was covering his ass in fear of looking too gay friendly, which made the whole half-assed symbolic 'olive branch' bullshit come across even worse actually.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 17, 2010 10:15:35 AM

20. "Men who look like old lesbians is quite a funny website. I expect you'll be seeing his portrait there shortly."

LOL! LOL! Is it just a bad photograph or does he give that same impression from all sides?

Posted by: DireFates | Jun 17, 2010 10:16:28 AM

21. Saying "I think that everyone should have the chance to be equally miserable, if they want" is not the same thing as supporting marriage equality for gays and lesbians.

Not the same thing at all.

Posted by: JeffNYC | Jun 17, 2010 10:17:33 AM

22. Damn you, Crispy, you beat me to the Sinead joke (as I somehow knew you would). The photo is fascinating. He looks like an FTM trans person showing off the transition.

If he's evolved, great. I don't personally care what the thinks, but he pays close attention to the zeitgeist and clearly doesn't think the intolerance card plays anymore.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 17, 2010 10:18:49 AM

23. I think he looks like a pretty trans-man showing off his new physique aprés top surgery.

Posted by: michael | Jun 17, 2010 10:20:58 AM

24. Yeah, actually, it is nice he tolerates us. It's a step forward. You people whine when people are anti-gay, and you want them to get educated about gays. Then when someone actually changes their mind, deciding that they were wrong in demonizing gays, you whine. Amazing.

Posted by: David T | Jun 17, 2010 10:44:01 AM

25. I don't want, or need, to be tolerated by anyone!
    Tolerate - to put up with something you hate.

I tolerate Eminem, but usually change the station when he comes on.

Posted by: Marc | Jun 17, 2010 10:51:07 AM