Magazines | News | Taylor Lautner

Taylor Lautner Talks Abs with GQ, is Hit on by Dude While Doing So

GQ-Taylor-Lautner-3

New Moon twink beefcake Taylor Lautner nabs the cover of GQ this month, and talks to them about how he takes preventive Advil to deal with screaming girls, as well as ingests bags of meat to keep his six-pack in shape:

Lautner admits to some dark, if brief, moments of self-doubt. He hired a personal trainer on his own dime and started practicing some Tony Robbins mind tricks. "I'm in the gym," Lautner says, "and I'm doing reps, and I'm reading the books, and I'm studying the character. I'm just saying to myself, 'I want this role. I love this role. I'm not gonna lose it. And I'm gonna know it better than anybody, and I'm gonna do that extra rep, because I'm gonna be Jacob Black.' " He ate every two hours, mostly meat his parents cooked and then packed in a cooler he kept in the car. Sitting in traffic, Lautner would eat cold ground chuck from plastic Baggies. He put on thirty pounds of muscle, consented to a screen test with Stewart (who lobbied on his behalf), and kept his job. He also solved the film's marketing issues when his abdominal muscles became New Moon's main talking point, not to mention his calling card. In one scene, Stewart crashes a motorcycle, and Lautner rushes to her aid. "It's just blood, Bella," he says. "No big deal." And then pauses to peel off his shirt.

As if on cue, a twentysomething man slides up to our table. "I'm sorry," he says, "can I take a photo? Uh, my niece is a big fan."

Photos by Mario Testino. Lautner's GQ cover, AFTER THE JUMP...

Lautner

GQ-Taylor-Lautner-cover

More photos at GQ.

Comments

1. I wonder if Taylor's is hooded...perhaps it curves downward? Just trying to picture it...

(Of course, these things are INCREDIBLY important to me--just as it's important to fawn over celebrities who appear in poorly plotted, clichéd films.)

Posted by: veg | Jun 15, 2010 10:44:48 AM

2. This is so queerty.

Posted by: Visitor | Jun 15, 2010 10:47:54 AM

3. He is SO butch... somewhere between Liberace and Richard Simmons.

Posted by: Rad | Jun 15, 2010 11:23:30 AM

4. I'm not into chicken, but I'd do him.

Posted by: Steve | Jun 15, 2010 11:33:22 AM

5. Total mouth breather and his face is so puffy. those twitards can keep him

Posted by: Dan | Jun 15, 2010 11:52:03 AM

6. Lot of hating on here directed to an 18 year old because he has an incredible body.

Posted by: JusticeontheRocks | Jun 15, 2010 12:09:18 PM

7. @justice, thank you. As if points are given for the bitchiest (hardly clever) comments. His face is puffy? WTF? Twitards? Liberace? Just ridiculous.

Posted by: randalf | Jun 15, 2010 12:16:10 PM

8. Agreed, Justice and Randalf. The kid is working hard and having a fair amount of success in a (cheesy) movie franchise. Good for him!

I've often wondered what would happen to the silly criticisms if the posters were required to post their pictures and let us take a gander.

Posted by: KJ | Jun 15, 2010 12:21:15 PM

9. Just once I'd kill to hear an actor admit that he actually used steroids for a part. Just as all actresses eat like horses and have metabolisms like hummingbirds, it gets more hilarious to hear the men come up with increasingly ridiculous ways to described how they ingested/snorted/mainlined the equivalent of a cow every day with miraculous results.

Posted by: Gry | Jun 15, 2010 12:21:39 PM

10. Enjoy your 15 minutes! Tick tock, tick tock...

Posted by: S. | Jun 15, 2010 12:23:40 PM

11. I tried watching the first movie and thought it was just awful. However, I do not understand all the bitchy, spiteful comments. He's way too young for me, I'm nobody's daddy, but at any age I can recognize the boy is beautiful. Me thinks these nasty queens are just a tad bit jealous. Save it for "The Real Housewives," ladies! NOH8.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 15, 2010 1:05:17 PM

12. its a freaking blog randallf and justice. calm down - queens

Posted by: Dan | Jun 15, 2010 1:16:27 PM

13. Wow. This kid's a real boy-magnet.

Quite frankly, he worked (very hard!) for the part and got it - even to the point of becoming a key marketing aspect of the franchise. I'm not seeing a problem, here....!

Pictures of him almost make me want to give-up all the high-fructose corn syrup-y junk they call soft drinks and perhaps hit the gym...!

Posted by: Terrance | Jun 15, 2010 1:19:44 PM

14. I just.. dont fancy him. Its that simple really, he's just Meh.. Sure his body is nice i guess, but the definition is sort of rounded off, its not hard edged, he does look like an over stuffed boy, not a man.

Posted by: Rovex | Jun 15, 2010 1:31:51 PM

15. Yes, he's young, cute and ripped. But, the lead, Robert what's-his-face, exudes more sex appeal, and is far more interesting.

Posted by: eric/nyc | Jun 15, 2010 2:44:46 PM

16. Well, @Rovex, that's because he IS still a boy, an 18-year old boy and not quite a "man".

I, too, can't figure out the bitchiness of some of the people here. The guy's cute, very cute and he worked hard to keep his role in the Twilight Series.

Whether or not he's got any staying power remains to be seen. But, for now, I hope he is enjoying every minute of his success (and saving his money, just in case). He's a work-in-progress. Give him a break, guys.

Again, he's only 18.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 15, 2010 2:49:09 PM

17. How is sliding up to a table and asking for a photo getting hit on? Just saying.

And I don't get all the bitchy comments either. He isn't my cup of tea but give the kid a break, he's 18!

Posted by: omi | Jun 15, 2010 2:57:42 PM

18. I feel sorry for this kid-he's the main bread winner in his family, he's basically supporting his parents and siblings.

He's a good looking kid,he just needs some years to mature and get away from being a teenaged bread winner.

Posted by: Dano | Jun 15, 2010 3:58:11 PM

19. I find him painfully attractive in a theoretical way (meaning, if I were within 5 years of his age and he proved himself engaging), though I don't believe for a minute that once he was chosen for the role, the studio wasn't all over him with trainers, powders, and other magical substances to transform his body.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 15, 2010 4:13:28 PM

20. It is possible not to find the guy attractive. Cuteness/attractiveness/hotness are not objective qualities.

Personally I don't get turned on by him at all. There's a spark there that is completely missing for me. If I'm gonna rob the cradle, I'd rather make out with Daniel Radcliffe than Taylor.

I think some of the bitchiness can stem from insecurities . . . after all, as gay men we're bombarded with images that both arouse us and make us feel bad about ourselves at the same time. But I do think not everyone who doesn't find a celebrity attractive is hating on him.

Posted by: Alejandro | Jun 15, 2010 4:43:41 PM

21. Why would anyone criticize a young man who works hard to advance himself, and is cute to boot?

Posted by: Ken | Jun 15, 2010 5:57:04 PM

22. Huh, he must have been hooked up with some pretty awesome "image enhancing" supplements to be able to eat as he describes and pack on that much muscle (without any noticeable fat to boot).

But maybe it's just me being jealous. I have to get my gear from some craphole in Moldova.

Posted by: Kyle | Jun 15, 2010 6:12:51 PM

23. He is the only reason I might sit through one another one of those dull Vampire chick flick- he a is a beautiful boy who was born to be worshiped by the camera.

Posted by: jaragon | Jun 15, 2010 7:28:32 PM

24. I would totally be therefor his legal birthday to rim that ass.

Posted by: Richard | Jun 15, 2010 9:37:59 PM

25. Ya know, I can't come down on the sexualizing of an eighteen year old too hard here in these posts and in the article, and throughout his brief career...because straight guys do it a lot, too with very young (illegal, even) females...but it's gross either way. Just kinda trashy to hoot and holler about your sexual desires and fantasies wherever it comes from. Shows a lack of self respect and control, but does serve to decrease the differences between species.

Posted by: TANK | Jun 15, 2010 10:14:42 PM