Elena Kagan | News

Watch: Senator Asks Elena Kagan to Comment on the Famous 'Edward vs. Jacob' Twilight Case

Kagan_hearing

Senator Amy Klobuchar (D-MN): "I keep wanting to ask you about the famous case of Edward vs. Jacob, or, the vampire vs. the werewolf."

Kagan: "I wish you wouldn't."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody asks her if she prefers to wear boxers or briefs.

Posted by: Wrecks | Jun 30, 2010 1:55:38 PM

2. Maybe Im just a square - but that seems to be wildly out of decorum. What's next? Asking Petraeus whether he believes Cobra or G.I. Joe's weapons systems are better suited for battling an insurgency? Morons...

Posted by: AERES | Jun 30, 2010 1:57:50 PM

3. Groan.

Posted by: Feral | Jun 30, 2010 2:00:51 PM

4. I think its nice to see a human side to a normally stuffy and bickering forum.

Posted by: Chuck | Jun 30, 2010 2:08:11 PM

5. Love Amy! Smart, witty, and a good ally to the GLBT community. She'll never get a big head...she knows even Senators and Supreme Court Justices are just people after all...

Posted by: Louis | Jun 30, 2010 2:10:54 PM

6. Actually, Amy Klobuchar is a fierce advocate for GLBTQ and an amazing attorney, former prosecutor. I suspect this was just her way of easing the tension a bit.

Posted by: Fred | Jun 30, 2010 2:11:03 PM

7. Yeah Aeres, I'm kinda with you. A little of this kind of lighthearted banter does humanize and relax the proceedings, but a small amount of that goes a long way.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jun 30, 2010 2:14:01 PM

8. It's nice to see a human side to this hearing process, after all a good chunk of it seems to have been more about grand standing one what the parties view on the roll of the court and how the court is currently shaped and needs to be shaped is then really trying to figure out if they are going to confirm her or not.

Posted by: Dodge_Man | Jun 30, 2010 2:35:56 PM

Posted by: stick | Jun 30, 2010 2:47:07 PM

10. I wish nobody made this into a video.

Posted by: Fenrox | Jun 30, 2010 2:56:52 PM

11. Sexy werewolf Jacob FTW

Posted by: ravewulf | Jun 30, 2010 3:30:33 PM

12. this is why women shouldn't have a man's job. What?! I'm kidding.

Posted by: TANK | Jun 30, 2010 3:40:00 PM

13. I love Sen. Klobuchar, but she does kind of seem like the crazy cat lady living in mom's basement portion of that vampire fuckery's demographic.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Jun 30, 2010 3:41:52 PM

14. People... lighten up!

Posted by: james Brown | Jun 30, 2010 4:36:47 PM

15. the most humorous response she's given was to lindsey graham when he asked, "where were you at on christmas day" in his covert attempt to discredit her by making her reveal that she's jewish (political capital for them in being an antisemite)...but she's quick, I'll give her that..."like all jews, I was probably at a chinese restaurant." LOL!

Posted by: TANK | Jun 30, 2010 6:02:24 PM

16. OK I'm going to go heavy political queer theory here, ya'll can throw eggs if you want , but my immediate reaction to this clip is that the Senator is trying to soften , or distract from, Kagan's various apparent queernesses by conjuring an un-, or anti-intellectual, hetero- and 'family' inflected, stereotypically female sexuality of Mom bonding with pin-up boy-crazy teen girls. A sexuality that is unthreatening , easily marketed and controlled, and also mindlessly flattering to men. And she is inviting Kagan to act charmed by this little family scene , evoked a propos of nothing in the substance of the hearing. For me this doesn't 'humanize' the proceeding so much as lobotmize, (and , of course, explicitly heterosexualize) it.

Posted by: hank | Jul 1, 2010 1:12:33 AM

17. Hank, you're supposed to take your antipsychotic EVERY day.

Posted by: D.R.H. | Jul 1, 2010 11:47:43 AM

18. initial coming into, we suppose every single it the proprietor can end up to become a

Posted by: Sexy Bikinis For Sale | Mar 18, 2011 11:45:04 AM

19. It's nice to get some levity into the otherwise pompous and officious proceedings. I felt it subtly pointed out the absurdity of the situation.

Posted by: oakley frogskins | Jul 16, 2011 3:55:54 AM

20. Thanks for your sharing .Your thoughts are creative and they actually do help to me. It provides me with a lot of information. It is a nice post! http://www.oakleysunglassescheapsale.net/

Posted by: oakley sunglasses cheap | Aug 13, 2011 2:20:39 PM

21. I love Sen. Klobuchar, but she does kind of seem like the crazy cat lady living in mom's basement portion of that vampire fuckery's demographic.

Read more: http://www.towleroad.com/2010/06/watch-senator-asks-elena-kagan-to-comment-on-the-famous-edward-vs-jacob-twilight-case.html#ixzz1fBA2UUE2

Posted by: burberry cashmere scarf | Nov 30, 2011 4:24:00 AM

22. I wish nobody made this into a video.

Read more: http://www.towleroad.com/2010/06/watch-senator-asks-elena-kagan-to-comment-on-the-famous-edward-vs-jacob-twilight-case.html#ixzz1fBABokhX

Posted by: burberry scarf | Nov 30, 2011 4:24:27 AM

23. When the bell rang, the ring for the students how to look forward to, like dry land suddenly after heavy rain like, so demand.

Posted by: Julio Jones Jersey | Dec 19, 2012 8:02:23 PM