Gay Marriage | Hawaii | Linda Lingle

Hawaii Governor Linda Lingle: 'First Cousins Couldn’t Marry, Or A Brother And A Sister And That Sort Of Thing'

Hawaii governor took to the radio airwaves a few days ago to discuss her veto of the same-sex civil unions bill in that state last week, which the Maui Times appropriately referred to as a big giant "Fail." A highlight from that interview is below.

6a00d8341c730253ef013484a7613c970c LINGLE: "For those people who want to makes this into a civil rights issue, and of course those in favor of the bill, they see it as a civil rights issue. And I understand them drawing that conclusion. But people on the other side would point out, well, we don’t allow other people to marry even — it’s not a civil right for them. First cousins couldn’t marry, or a brother and a sister and that sort of thing. So there are restrictions, not to put it in the exact same category. But the bottom line is, it really can’t be a civil right if we are restricting it in other cases, and it’s been found to be legal in those other cases, that the restrictions."

A caller named Joe phoned in to inform Lingle that he could, if he so desired to, marry his cousin in Hawaii.

JOE: "And the second point is, Gov. Lingle, you talked about restrictions on marriage. I have a first cousin named Kate, and I’m looking on the Department of Health website for Hawaii, and I could marry my cousin Kate in Hawaii, but I cannot marry the love of my life in Hawaii, so — or in terms of a civil union with him. So, I hope you will take that into consideration. [...]"

LINGLE: "Whether or not a first cousin can marry in Hawaii, I’ll have to go back and check. I don’t know that that’s untrue, but let me go back and check on that."

Lingle also went on to say that "it's not about a decision for individual couples, it's about the impact it has on society."

Listen to her explain herself AFTER THE JUMP.

Also, in an editorial published today, the Hawaii Star-Advertiser criticized Lingle: "One of the biggest differences between civil unions and marriage are social ones. Civil unions are nothing more than a mechanism to provide legal rights and responsibilities to a couple, whereas marriage is a social institution with deeply held meaning. Civil unions are a class apart—children don't dream of getting "unionized" when they grow up. And there are few who would trade their marriages for a civil union. Gov. Lingle's second assertion that the issue is too important to be decided by the Legislature, despite that the Hawaii Constitution requires legislative action, is patently false. The rights of a minority should never be subjected to the tyranny of the majority and this is exactly what the governor is suggesting. Imagine if a voter referendum had been applied to past issues in history. Congress would not have been able to pass the 1964 Civil Rights Act and the U.S. Supreme Court would not have been able to overturn state bans on interracial marriage in 1967."

(Think Progress via Good As You)

Comments

1. She makes comments that she can't even confirm. Geez! Hawaii's own Sarah Palin....what is it about Republican women? Were they dropped on their collective heads as babies?

Posted by: woodroad34d | Jul 11, 2010 5:46:28 PM

2. I will restate my comment from a few days ago: CUNT-FACED BITCH!!!!

Posted by: B | Jul 11, 2010 5:51:03 PM

3. Will this woman be re-elected? I mean, has she lots of followers who think she is logical and well aware of issues?
    I feel sorry for Joe. Love your man, time will change.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jul 11, 2010 6:19:34 PM

4. This is the EXACT REASON why Mormons sould NOT be in politics.

She invalidates a law, using her opinion...which turns out to be a wrong opinion.

And instead of INVALIDATING her action, she just says 'she has to check and get back to you on that...'

Don't you think she should be 100% about something before exercising power?

The aswer, if you're struggling Moromons, is YES.

Mormons are not fit for Governing. They are hypocritical homophobic bigomist-loving thieves.

Posted by: New Jersey Girl | Jul 11, 2010 6:22:51 PM

5. No wonder she's twice divorced. I can't read even a paragraph of this woman's mindless gibberish without feeling like I need to run out of the room, jump out of a window, anything, anything at all, to get away from her mind-numbing stupidity.

Can you imagine what it was like for her poor, poor husbands? I bet they wish Hawaii had passed a DOMA-MSFI-A (Defense Of Marriage Against Marrying Stupid F*cking Idiots Amendment).

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Jul 11, 2010 6:26:10 PM

6. Amen to that BobbyJoe

Posted by: Zo | Jul 11, 2010 6:29:54 PM

7. Translation:

I need to position myself for a U.S. Senate run some time in the not-so-distant future. And if I play my cards right, I might even get on the Republican ticket as the Vice Presidential nominee someday.

Posted by: John | Jul 11, 2010 6:30:20 PM

8. She is sooo on the wrong side of history! I feel so sorry for the Hawaiian gay families that she has kept as second class citizens. .
    I hope this horrible woman ends up in the dust pan of hateful politicians!

Posted by: Jamesstone | Jul 11, 2010 6:33:45 PM

9. "So there are restrictions, not to put it in the exact same category." - Gov. Lingle

someone want to push a tube up her whatever and remind her of Loving v. Virginia that finally did away with the legal 'restriction' on whites and African-Americans marrying;

Hawaii has term limits, so she cannot run for governor again; but when is the next Hawaiian congressional race scheduled?

oh, and she's Jewish!

Posted by: mike/ | Jul 11, 2010 6:35:09 PM

10. @John, you're absolutely right. She's clearly not a bright person, so she likely has a great future in the GOP.

For the record, first cousins can get married in about half of US states.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 11, 2010 6:52:41 PM

11. The thing I find most frustrating about this is the blistering ignorance she shows in terms of how the law works. It's like she doesn't have a clue what a civil right is or how American society administers them.

Regardless of whether or not she thinks that gay marriage or civil unions are appropriate, or whether she thinks that states could have compelling reasons for restricting same-sex marriage, she should understand that American civil rights law is built on allowing restrictions of rights when an appropriate reason can be found for doing so. This is why we have different levels of judicial scrutiny for different groups of people and in regard to different kinds of rights. Something can be a fundamental right, but if the state has a good enough reason to restrict it, the state can in fact do that. That doesn't mean it's not a "right." This is high school civics, lady.

For Lingle to say that marriage can't be a civil right if it's restricted to other people is sheer insanity and flies in the face of Supreme Court pronouncements that marriage is, in fact, a fundamental right.

Her position suggests that she's entirely uninformed about the legal system in which she is, frighteningly, a relatively major player. That, or, also entirely possible, she's truly devious and calculating and someone we really need to make sure doesn't get any farther than she already is.

Posted by: Brian | Jul 11, 2010 6:56:39 PM

12. ....SASHAY AWAY!!!

Posted by: wonderer | Jul 11, 2010 7:03:24 PM

13. I veto'd my vacation to the Islands already & informed the resort why I canceled. And just so the Governor knows, yes indeed you can marry your cousin in many states of the USA. http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/graphic-states-that-allow-same-sex-marriage-vs-states-that-allow-marriage-between-first-cousins/news/2009/12/26/6464 Boycott the state from your money, it's the only thing that still seems to get people to notice.

Posted by: Skooter McGoo | Jul 11, 2010 7:23:18 PM

14. From her comments the other day, I considered Lingle a coward for shirking the responsibility to why she was elected by stating that she didn't want to make this decision, she wanted to leave it to the people of Hawaii to decide (because the majority always votes in favor of the minority...) So I found her disingenuous, lying, and a coward.

Now after this speech, I find that she's also so stunning ill-informed and frankly argumentatively stupid one would wish she would apologize and say admit she's stupid.

She continues to embarrass Hawaii.

Posted by: Bart | Jul 11, 2010 7:42:09 PM

15. If anyone doesn't believe marriage is a civil right, just imagine the outcry if "opposite marriage" were being put to a vote?

Posted by: Talismanj | Jul 11, 2010 7:50:26 PM

16. Based on that pic of her that's always used - she *is* a drag queen, right? It's like a bad Tootsie.

Posted by: ATLSteve | Jul 11, 2010 7:56:58 PM

17. You know, if it were up to the majority, we may've been like Nazi Germany. If everything were up to the majority, only blonde women with large breasts would be able to do anything in this country.

Posted by: Kriss | Jul 11, 2010 8:01:00 PM

18. @ATLSteve "like a bad Tootsie."

heh you nailed it

Posted by: neverstops | Jul 11, 2010 8:09:19 PM

19. is she fucking a fucking idiot? siblings? cousins? there are REASONS that a person can't marry his sister or his mother. and those REASONS are REASONABLE. they have to do with biology and psychology. If she wants to prevent 2 gay brothers,who have pre-exisiting close family relationship, from marrying, I'm behind her. But she clearly hasn't engaged in even this basic level of consideration. asshole enjoying a paycheck at the expense of the taxpayers.

Posted by: pete | Jul 11, 2010 8:11:52 PM

20. Just wait until the SCOTUS rule that DOMA is unconstitutional and I will personally fax to your office a big middle finger along with a huge "FUCK YOU!"!!

Posted by: gayalltheway | Jul 11, 2010 8:22:33 PM

21. She still looks like a guy in bad drag to me. And it's nice how she's always smiling even when she's fucking people over.

Posted by: joe c | Jul 11, 2010 9:52:43 PM

22. Everyone take a deep breath! First, our Senate by way more than a 2/3 majority approved civil unions. Second, we fell only three votes short of a veto-proof majority favoring the bill in the House. What was weak-kneed was our Speaker of the House, Calvin Say (who, incidentally voted FOR the measure) declining to call for an override session, which more than likely would have quashed the veto because there were more than three reps who were pissed at Lingle for disrespecting the majority will of the legislators.

Rather than a boycott, I urge everyone to support Neil Abercrombie, one of our two Congressional reps, who is running for governor. He has said unequivocally that he would sign a civil unions bill when (not if) it's presented to him. And given the fact that in the next session, after the election, at least a bare majority of the legislators in both houses will approve a bill that is identical to the one that Lingle vetoed, we need to chill out and wait until Abercrombie is elected.

It's always the same in the struggle for equal rights: two steps forward, one step back. Take a deep breath and remember the unchanging lesson of history: Progress can be slowed, but it CANNOT be stopped.

Posted by: Paul in Honolulu | Jul 11, 2010 10:28:32 PM

23. @ATLSteve,

Over here in Honolulu we call her Governor Big Bird. The likeness to the Sesame Street character is quite striking, no?

Posted by: Paul in Honolulu | Jul 11, 2010 10:30:26 PM

24. I didn't know jews could be governor. I'll have to look into that. Betcha she could palm a basketball. BOYCOTT!

Posted by: TANK | Jul 11, 2010 10:35:36 PM

25. She looks like a dude.

Posted by: Abizzle | Jul 11, 2010 10:45:45 PM