Johnny Weir | Olympics

BigGayDeal.com

Johnny Weir: "I Am Not Going To Change Something I Love Because Someone Tells Me It's Wrong"

JohnnyWeir1

Don't get too excited—he was talking about wearing fur.

Three-time U.S. National Champion and Olympic skater Johnny Weir has recorded a song called "Dirty Love" and is working on an autobiography that's coming in 2011. He opens up (but not all the way) to Out

On his fur-loving ways:

"[Animal rights groups] have their choice to support activism and to speak their minds, and I have the right to speak my mind too. I'm not passionate about learning about the fur farms and how the animals get killed. I'm passionate about fashion, and fur is a big part of that. I'm also a winter athlete. You can't go walk the streets of Moscow when it's minus 30 and wear some type of plastic. You need a natural warm thing. I am not going to change something I love because someone tells me it's wrong."

On his sexuality:

"I've always been comfortable with who I am. When it comes to my sexuality, I just finished the chapter in my book [to be released in January] about my sexuality and my idea of it. I haven't discussed it—not because I'm ashamed of anything you'll read about when my book comes out—I just don't want to put it out there in a way where someone can twist my words. While I don't believe in masculinity and femininity, I don't believe in a purely gay person or a purely straight person. I have a very clear opinion of my own sexuality. I'm not saying anything about my sexuality because I want it to be out there in my own words."

He's not saying anything because he wants to be the one to say it, got it?

Comments

1. it breaks my heart that animals have to die to support such vanity and shallowness.

Posted by: David | Jul 7, 2010 9:37:26 AM

2. Don't care

Posted by: carl canthony | Jul 7, 2010 9:39:37 AM

3. God he's thick. I want to like him but he makes it so hard.

Posted by: yonquersconquers | Jul 7, 2010 9:54:15 AM

4. Ugly in every way imaginable.

Posted by: stranded | Jul 7, 2010 9:58:19 AM

5. I think DAVID encapsulated the situation perfectly. The only thing I would add is that Weir seems like an arrogant little twat.

Posted by: peterparker | Jul 7, 2010 10:08:00 AM

6. Next.

Posted by: Piper | Jul 7, 2010 10:13:04 AM

7. In other words, he has all the maturity of a four-year old who wants what he wants. Thank Goddess for adult-sized Depends so he doesn't have to worry about being potty trained either. Maybe they can make some special edition versions for him trimmed in fur.

Posted by: Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com | Jul 7, 2010 10:14:27 AM

8. Perhaps someone should skin him alive, and make human booties for some cute little minks.

Posted by: David in Houston | Jul 7, 2010 10:15:48 AM

9. I can't imagine that anyone cares enough about this douche to read an article much less a book about him. Johnny please don't come completely "out"; we don't really want you.

Posted by: Lars De | Jul 7, 2010 10:24:36 AM

10. He really needs to just shut up. His last argument about wearing fur was that he really couldn't think about the way the fur industry kills animals because there are "millions" of homeless people in N.Y. Huh? On the plus side, maybe it will discourage other people from wearing fur because they don't want to emulate such a stupid twat. I can hardly wait for him to announce he's bi.

Posted by: skydog | Jul 7, 2010 10:26:18 AM

11. 15... 14... 13... 12...

It has to be close to over, right? Please?

Posted by: Dave | Jul 7, 2010 10:27:38 AM

12. Giving publicity to JW's inanities may be endangering him. PETA hasn't always acted ethically when it has come to treating people.

@MICHAEL@LEONARDMATLOVICH.COM - Just curious, are you at work when commenting?

Posted by: Fahd | Jul 7, 2010 10:43:58 AM

13. fuck the little queen. no wonder she was not invited to "stars on ice." at first i defended her, but she is now despicable. she and her fur carcasses can go straight to oblivion.

Posted by: nic | Jul 7, 2010 10:57:23 AM

14. Ugh, I'm inclined not to care but...anyone who wilfully says "I don't want to know about how what I wear is murdered I'll spend all day happily in my ignorant bliss" makes me uncomfortable. It reads tone deaf and absolutley selfish.

Posted by: g_whiz | Jul 7, 2010 11:18:54 AM

15. He is not a role model for gay youth.

Posted by: homer | Jul 7, 2010 11:20:15 AM

16. The new Marie Antoinette.

Posted by: Lars | Jul 7, 2010 11:21:25 AM

17. Did he ask to be a role model for anyone? No. Does he have the right to his opinions and feelings? Yes. Because you don't agree with him doesn't make him wrong. You need to grow up. Skin him alive huh? That shows how full of compassion you aren't; kill humans, not animals? Irritatingly judgemental idiots.

Posted by: Mercy | Jul 7, 2010 11:29:02 AM

18. @Mercy

Yes he did ask to be a role model, He is an Olympic athlete, a choice to be someone to look up to.

Mr. Weir needs to grow up, not the internet. To hold onto a belief with virtually no reason other than hedonism while turning a deaf ear to dissenting facts and opinions speaks more to a child's reasoning. In the adult world you have to be responsible for your actions, this can be done in SO MANY WAYS. Some examples:

"I'm Johnny Weir, I wear fur but you should know the fur industry is exceptionally cruel and you shouldn't buy fur without realizing that."

"I'm Johnny Weir, Part of being a celebrity is having your life dissected in front of everyone. My decision to wear fur is my decision, something that I will have to evaluate and reevaluate with time, I don't want to completely change something about myself without thinking all the facts through."

Instead he acts childish, like you did in your reactionary post. Calm rational approaches diffuse the need for attacks.

We all live with massive hypocrisy that we don't face because it is overwhelming. Many people eat meat that would NEVER support fur, we shouldn't yell at them for being stupid we should try to show them the importance of dealing with hypocrisy.

Posted by: Fenrox | Jul 7, 2010 11:43:49 AM

19. Well said Johnny. Don't cave in to the militant hippies and their useless existence.

F*ck animal rights. They have a right to be our bitch.

Posted by: Greenthumb55 | Jul 7, 2010 11:45:21 AM

20. Fenrox... your way or no way, right? Your main rant seems to be that Johnny didn't express himself the (over-inflated) way you would have. Giving suggestions on how he "should have" made his point is arrogant beyond belief, as is stating that you would help meat eaters deal with hypocrisy. Brilliant.

Olympians, as I see it, are there to compete in games that they excel in...period. Where does it say "and to show kids what is right and what is wrong"?

Posted by: Mercy | Jul 7, 2010 11:58:21 AM

21. Wow! What a bunch of fickle homos. Wasn't it only a few months ago that you were all defending him/her/it with shouts of praise and applause for being an individualist and a champion of diversity?
    God people, open your eyes. These people gather attention because their whole purpose in life is just that. They're self-absorbed narcissists who will spout vile at anyone that tries to knock them off their imagined throne of glory. He should be fed to the animals that keep him "fierce".

Posted by: D. R. H. | Jul 7, 2010 11:58:28 AM

22. hmmmm...kinda hard to reason with the unreasonable, willfully ignorant and proudly unethical. But, sociopathology has made its way into the mainstream american identity long ago...human rights, animal rights, the environment...none of these things matter to americans...what matters is them. And it's something that americans are very proud of. Let's see who long it can last! It is fun to watch a people destroy themselves.

Posted by: TANK | Jul 7, 2010 12:05:14 PM

23. What a little douche-bag. I hope this evil little twink goes away soon. It's a shame that animals have to die horribly so he can look like an absolute moron.

Posted by: shivadog | Jul 7, 2010 12:18:58 PM

24. Oh everyone loves an individualist who champions diversity...unless that individualist steps on a cause they themselves champion, that's when the hater comments come to the forefront. "what do you mean he's promoting meat eating, I don't eat meat so he can't do that. now I hate him." It's a selfish, self-promoting world people.

Posted by: Teryn | Jul 7, 2010 12:28:32 PM

25. Johnny- I am a "purely gay person"- too bad you don't believe in me or that we exist. I hate this childish attitude some young people have that there is or should be no gay or straight just everyone floating along until they land on some other person regardless of gender. I do believe there are many people who are bisexual and I respect that but not this attitude of whatever and no labels or boxes please! I like the box and label I have just fine!

Posted by: Rann | Jul 7, 2010 12:28:53 PM