Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC): ‘I Ain’t Gay’ and I’m Not Having ‘a Clandestine Affair with Ricky Martin’

Graham

In a new NYT profile by Robert Draper, Senator Lindsey Graham denies the gay rumors:

"For his sins, Glenn Beck termed the senator Obama Lite, while Rush Limbaugh labeled him Lindsey Grahamnesty. Less tame are the blogosphere monikers, like 'Miss Lindsey,' that play off of Graham’s never-married status. During a South Carolina Tea Party rally this spring, one speaker created an uproar by postulating that Graham supported a guest-worker program out of fear that the Democrats might otherwise expose his homosexuality. (Graham smirked when I brought this up. 'Like maybe I’m having a clandestine affair with Ricky Martin,' he said. 'I know it’s really gonna upset a lot of gay men — I’m sure hundreds of ’em are gonna be jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge — but I ain’t available. I ain’t gay. Sorry.')"

And it ain't his first time at this rodeo, either.

(via ben smith)

Comments

1. Fenrox says

Just go to any small town “southern-feeling” church in america and there will be at least two guys like Mr. Graham here smiling waiting to shake your hand.

Why do we associate people who look and sound like him as gay? Lots of gay bars have old queens that seem like him. What is the cause of that behavior, does it come from gay people and is therefore a indicator of gay?

FUCK NO, don’t be an idiot. The best way I have ever heard it was this: Being flamboyant and catty and queeny and over the top is a reaction to being so happy and free to be who you are around others who are also free.

So maybe Mr. Graham is just like those super happy church people, HAPPY (or gay! :) )

2. TPL says

Really funny. I love when people who possess no wit always aim for the obvious. People are accusing him of gayness so his inner rolodex flips to “Ricky Martin” and “San Francisco.”
    That said, sorry, those big chompers have chewed more than a couple of balls in his time.
    Sad, lonely self-loathing queen.
    GAYFACE! GAYFACE! GAYFACE!

3. TANK says

Apparently he’s got a little ricky crush. How…disturbing. the most salient takeaway in assessing the veracity of his affirmation is that if he is gay, would he be honest and come out in a NYT article? Nooooooo…puh.

I hope jimmy lasalvia pulls a murder suicide…

4. David in Houston says

“…but I ain’t available. I ain’t gay.” …said the man that clearly looks gay. I think he has G.R.S.™ — George Rekers Syndrome: As long as I don’t have sex with a man then I’m not actually gay.

5. Matt says

“I’m Not Having ‘a Clandestine Affair with Ricky Martin”

Thank God for small mercies!

6. Josh says

He is absolutely correct. Gay is a self-affirmative identity label. Closet cases tend not to cultivate qualities like integrity and self-respect… they are different animals entirely.

7. anon says

The clinical term for Graham’s behavior is MSM because many men who have sex with other men refuse to call themselves gay.

8. JamesStone says

The Golden Gate Bridge?? Yea Senator..San Francisco..that’s where all of the “gays” live, right?
    I am sure there are plenty in the DC area..perhaps you know a few..just look in the mirror Senator..your gaydar will go off the charts!

9. Observer1000 says

Interesting – that he’s got the hots for Ricky Martin! And it took Ricky a verrry long time to come out of the closet too :)

10. james Brown says

Yea, funny how for someone who isn’t gay to mention an affair with Ricky Martin??? Wishful thinking on his part. I don’t think Ricky will be breaking HIS door down anytime soon!

11. Bryant says

He is totally and completely out of touch with reality if he thinks ANYBODY would jump off ANY bridge because of a missed opportunity to be with him.

12. hugo says

Is that the South Carolina version of ‘I have not had sexual relations with that woman’? Somewhere, blue t-shirts are being pulled from deep within the closets…

13. William says

He’s effeminate for sure. However, not all gay men are effeminate. I think it would have more interesting if he was asked, “You are obviously very effeminate, Sen. Graham, does that mean you are you gay, as well?”

14. Bruno says

This is exactly what an unattached, older politician closet-case would say. On the other hand, it doesn’t prove anything either. I found the comment to be quite self-effacing actually.

15. Rick S. says

First we had “hiking the Appalachian trail” and now this. South Carolina — the gift that keeps on giving.

16. Name says

Actually if you look at it from another perspective. If we’re saying he’s gay because we think his voice is effeminate, then we’re stereotyping ourselves. I’m sure most gay people have at least on gay friend that they’ve had to defend that’s straight but has a few “gay” qualities.

17. Disgusted American says

Lindsey Graham is Gross…..Gay Face to the Enth degree…..pa–leeez,Ms Graham..you look like Aunt Bea.Must be pathetic to be such a closet case as him…and deny your very existance to “Toe the PArty Line” ..NO Intergrity or self respect.

18. LightningBoalt says

“He doesn’t look like a gay man…he looks like a lesbian” Well played, Jack. Well played.

19. walter says

how long before miss lindsey gets caught with a baggage handler? all she needs is a large hoop skirt and she could be the belle of the ball.i can picture chasing all the boys round the old plantation.

20. smallhandff says

How is it that a late middle-aged eternal batchelor, a famous senator, is NEVER linked w a woman. Aren’t politicians supposed to be babe magnets merely by being a famous pol?

Then again there was an acquaintance of mine from South Carolina,a then employee of the G&L Journalist Association in DC, who at the time in 2001 mentioned that back home it was relatively common knowledge that Lindsey had a boyfriend who was a dentist.

I guess there are certain rules that the Senate doesn’t break, for should the Dems seek to make an issue of L.G., it’ll be open-season on the gay Dem Senator, from the upper Mid-West.

There should be enough DC call-boys with info to out a number of politicians but perhaps the “suprising” death of the DC madam, who ran the house that Senator Vitter frequented, shut them up.

21. shanesoho says

He is not gay. Gay is what we are. He is a CloHo: Closeted Homosexual. Totally different.

22. FunMe says

“I know it’s really gonna upset a lot of gay men”

Oh gosh. CLOSET QUEENS sure are funny.

And DILUSSIONAL!

23. Kyle says

He’s a closet queen sure enough, AND Delusional! I don’t think he has a firm grasp of reality.

24. says

Sen.Graham is being attacked for being PERCEIVED AS GAY (whether he is or not).

I hope that gives him some insight into the rampant homophobia that his political party fosters.

25. Tom says

Huh. Curious how a South Carolina senator would even know who Ricky Martin is. Do ANY Republicans know who Ricky Martin is? And yeah, nice joke about the GG given the number of suicides logged there. Tasteless ass.

26. Riley Jackson says

This is one tupid old fart…but then again, he is from the Bible bred South where they sleep with their own cousins and have absolutely little to no education, exposure or life experiences outside of being told what and how to think.

27. smc says

Attention, Republicans, Beverley Leslie is a homosexual. I repeat: Beverley Leslie is a homosexual.

28. says

LN46C550 Samsung HDTV is a beautiful and aesthetic images complement: touch exclusive color combination of materials and colors any environment. Is there a shade of color naturally blended with the traditional black and change the style of TV art. Allshare feature allows you to synchronize all of the family through a wired or wireless DLNA PC specification, which send audio and video files to HDTV remote control allows. Samsung LCD 550 is also working on a greener future: It min to 43% more efficient than Energy Star 4.0.
    Samsung LN46C550″ / LG 32LE5400″ / Panasonic TC L37U22″ / LG-55LE5400″