Comments

1. says

Wrecks,

I wouldn’t tell them that. It goes against what we know to be true – that is the innateness of one’s sexual orientation. I wouldn’t call Adams a latent homosexual. Bisexual, perhaps. While the B in LGBT is a small percentage, we should recognize that it is small due to a heavy social stigma/animus against same-gender intimacy.

The man is a victim of such stigma. One must ask how he “knew it was wrong” and seek to resolve that.

Adams is a sad man. This is true. I can tell by his voice that he is very confused and somewhat lost. What do people do when they’re both lost and confused? Cling to the only thing they know – in this case… Jesus.

2. Trev says

I almost feel bad for him. He has built a cocoon with the bible because he hates himself for being gay. Really sad. If only he knew how much happier he could be if he was out.

3. cb4422 says

RJ,I am with you. There is something very sad about this man. The way he fliched when that guy approached him seemed very strange. To me he seems like a man not very smart,deeply troubled and very sad.

4. TANK says

In this context a more productive emotion is rage, not empathy. He has drawings of nooses on the propaganda he’s holding. That’s a pretty clear indication of what he believes should happen to us because of who we are. I don’t care if he’s unstable, dumb, or old…I would enjoyed seeing him get punched so hard he’d piss blood for the next two months. Because that’s what I think should happen to him…and yet it’s tame to the treatment he ostensibly wishes upon you and I.

5. Bart says

Just for clarification: being “equally yoked” does not mean have the same God. What addled preacher told him that???

Like you Trev, I feel sorry for this man. You can hear and feel his confusion and sadness. But he’s also indicative of the people who believe the nonsense that organizations like NOM vomit forth.

Leviticus also states that eating shellfish is an abomination and yet, so far as I know, none of these crazy right-wing Christian evangelical lunatics are standing out in front of the Red Lobster screaming at people walking in the door…but I imagine those days are coming (when they are stuffing their fat asses into a booth, munching on fried shrimp. Go figure…)

6. says

The funniest (or is it pathetic?) thing is how concerned the “traditional marriage” supporters around him are. They know he’s going to be flamboyant with his message, they appreciate him as a silent number to add to the crowd, but when he starts talking, they all get scared.

7. TampaZeke says

They’re only going to South Bend because they expect that the city council vote will draw a large crowd and they are DESPERATE to latch onto something that will give them the illusion of being able to draw a crowd to their hate-a-paloozas.

8. john says

I think it’s sad that many of our most outspoken “critics” or people who are the most afraid of homosexuals ARE IN FACT gay themselves. This just shows that monsters are created from constant religious persecution and judgement, unfortunately these monsters are our own terrified people who are desperate for SOME group to embrace them.

9. Rich says

Very sad. If there is a heaven and a hell, people like this are in for a rude awakening.

The Bible…parables written by man, interpreted by man, and subject to the foibles of our species.

10. says

After watching the video, I also feel kind of sorry for this guy. Can’t help but wonder what the story of lost love is behind his brainwashed ignorance, but he comes across as a sweet soul.

I keep picturing him and his beau rolling around a haystack playing with their pee pees and kissing on each other. Then one day they’re discovered and he’s sent to the preacher man, who then proceeds to drown him with fire and brimstone to the point he shit his pants, cause he thinks he’s going to hell.

There’s a story in there somewhere just begging to be told.

11. woodroad34d says

Watch him… there will be a murder because he’s so afraid of his orientation that he will think some other person has seduced him and he’ll kill that person thinking he’s killed the devil–Son of Sam. That is one disturbed individual.

12. Paul R says

For those sympathetic to this addled idiot: recall that he has two NOOSES on one of his posters.

I don’t care how he’s suffered from age, religion, ignorance, or anything else. He’s advocating murder for same-sex couples seeking marriage. There’s no place for sympathy. He’s brainwashed (though somehow didn’t open hie bible until he was 40). How does murder fit into his Christian principles, no matter how lost or stupid he is? Not to mention, plenty of people much smarter than him feel the same way—because they’re all sheep, led by truly evil church “leaders” spewing deadly propaganda.

I can’t feel sorry for anyone who wants me murdered, no matter how those views emerged. Yet if I went to a rally (of any type) and said I advocated the killing of opponents of same-sex marriage, I’d be covered by Fox and every conservative blogger out there, proving what extremists we gays are for asking for basic rights.

He’s not even a wolf in sheep’s clothing. He’s a moronic barbarian, plain and simple.

13. Paul R says

@Keith, how can you possibly conclude that he’s a “sweet soul” or is pining for the “lost love” you’re imposing/fantasizing for him? He’s a hateful fuck.

Again, I don’t care how he got that way, but he doesn’t deserve your kindness, excuses, or empathy. He wants you dead, remember? Not so sweet.

14. Verdon Coleman says

I did not even have to look at the video to see that this man is gay. He looks like so many of those Midwestern men who are so scared that they might be one of Teh Geys that he runs like hell for the hills (or cornfields as the case may be).

I used to date men like this when I was younger – homophobic, bible thumping gay bashers by day, taking it up the rear by night. He will be found with his 19 year old “luggage handler” very soon.

15. johnny says

Ah yes, another of my home state’s lovely overweight, republican, homophobic shrimp munchers. Imagine the outcry if the subject related to Blacks and he showed up with those nooses on his sign. But because it’s about us homos, no problem, business as usual in Indiana.

He’s typical of our state: corn-fed, inbred, brain-dead, hog’s head. Zero sense and total ignorance of everything except the bible and some wack preacher’s rants. Oh, and the deep-fried seafood at Old Country Buffet.

16. says

@ Paul R: So maybe “sweet soul” wasn’t the best terminology; probably more like “conflicted.”

Nevertheless, where was the vitriol, the hatred, the foaming of the mouth in this interview? Something about his despicable signs and the noose balanced against his graciousness and politeness with the interviewer suggests a lifetime of suppression and yes, there was likely someone in his life at a very young age.

Ultimately, this boils down to religion, which seeks influence, power, persuasion and money over the masses. It attempts to pacify their ignorance, while condemning those that don’t follow suit. Clearly, this guy has been a victim of it’s grip because he doesn’t know what else to believe. That’s not to suggest he doesn’t know right from wrong, but self-hatred is a very powerful tool; especially when propped up by religion.

Either that or he’s a psychopath. Take your pick.

17. Disgusted American says

Avoid Indiana like the Plague! Geeez- I can barely watch that comedy “The Middle” as it’s supposed to be in Indiana…and has that Awful Right Wing Patricia Heaton in it.

18. Drew says

This was actually very interesting. The interviewer asked some good questions and he tried as well he could to answer them. I wish these goofs would realize that if everyone had children, there wouldn’t be an Earth left. Gay people are helping save the planet!

19. Hollywood, CA says

I’m glad the reporter didn’t go overboard. I want to really hear why these people feel this way. No surprise this guy is gay, and thinks it’s a choice. Yeah, it’s a choice to hide who you are, but not to be gay. If I was short, I could buy platform shoes and never take them off… but, I would still be short. The end.

20. rickg says

What concerns me is that sign that blatantly calls for “murder.” I believe that constitutes “terroristic threats.” If I was to use such and say such to the fundies, I would be arrested. Oh such double standards…

21. ChrisM says

Isn’t gluttony one of the seven deadly sins? Looks like old Larry Adams needs to knock off a hundred or so pounds before he starts pointing his currently fat finger at other sinners.

22. RedCedar says

Yes, by modern standards it calls for murder, but so also does this passage from Deuteronomy, which those folks conveniently never cite:

“If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the girl’s virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done a disgraceful thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.”
    – Deuteronomy 22:20-21 (New International Version)