Ken Mehlman | Roy Ashburn

Roy Ashburn Sympathizes With Ken Mehlman

Roy Ashburn spoke to On Top Magazine and the gay magazine asked him about Ken Mehlman's recent coming out. Taking Ashburn's anti-gay history, subsequent coming out and reformed gay rights stance into consideration, his life in many ways mirrors Mehlman's so his response shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

AshSaid Ashburn: "I'm pleased for him, because knowing what I've been through in trying to keep a secret for so many years and in trying to hide my secret, doing things that were hurtful to gay people, coming to the realization that you can actually admit who you truly are, and to stop the hiding and the actions around that which are hurtful … I mean that's a big breakthrough and I'm happy for him."

Ashburn, who is nearing the end of his state senate seat, says he won't abandon his party and actually thinks that they could actually be the political party for gay rights.

“I would argue that the Republican party, because of the principles underlying Republicanism, really is the party that should be championing equal rights for gay people, for all people. For me this is very clear.”

It's great that he can wish for that kind of progressive change but that's not hapening anytime soon.

Comments

1. The republican party, the party of social fascists and libertarians alike.

Posted by: Chad | Aug 29, 2010 12:31:10 PM

2. Call it solidarity from one self loathing homo to the next.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Aug 29, 2010 12:36:28 PM

3. Cry me a river, Roy.

You were a really bad person...but you have NOTHING on Ken Mehlman, not even close. Once Ken gives his ill-gotten $3.77 million condo to gay rights I'll believe he is sorry.

The plot line is getting boring:
    1. Trash the gays, use them to get elected, run the most anti-gay campaign in history.
    2. Use your power in office to hurt us more.
    3. Fuck up, lose your job (2006 RNC)
    4. Buy the multi million condo with your ill gotten gains (In the middle of Chelsea no less)
    5. Come out
    6. Write a book
    7. Do a speaking tour

I hope book buyers do to Ken what they did to Mary Cheney. The gays won't give him the money and the right wing hates him now.

Posted by: Mike Rogers | Aug 29, 2010 12:44:47 PM

4. My respect for Roy is growing. I lived in DC when Mehlman was head of the GOP. Everyone knew he was gay. There was no secret. This is a non-story perpetuated by media hype.

Move on. There's nothing to see here.

Posted by: dc20008 | Aug 29, 2010 12:45:28 PM

5. Here in Ohio we are still living in the ashes of what these people did. Gay marriage is illegal and written into our Constitution.
    I will only offer these guys an olive branch if they try to undo the horrors that they created. I will even invite them to our wedding (20 years together) if they attempt to fix it. Let's hope we can legally marry sometime before we are in a nursing home...

Posted by: Jim Stone | Aug 29, 2010 1:13:37 PM

6. There is definitely something to see here—institutionalized discrimination perpetrated and enforced by evil closeted hypocrites. You want to 'move on' and act like that never happened? That's how history repeats itself genius.

It's one tragic and horrible thing when you involve a wife and kids in your personal self-loathing and lies, it's a whole new level of evil when you virulently attack other homosexuals citizens on a state or national level and perpetuate real harm against them in a colossal fit of self-loathing. These men did significant injury to their fellow homosexual citizens civil rights (and the lives of their children) and admit as much although not fully in my opinion. They are still parsing their words and dodging genuine apologies. There has to be some consequence for that even if it's just being called on it in the press. They are getting-off easy as far as I am concerned. They don't deserve praise or welcome. They deserve to be treated like the collaborative traitors they are.

Posted by: Timzilla | Aug 29, 2010 1:19:51 PM

7. Fuck them both...and not in the good way.

And anytime someone talks about forgiving Kenny of his "past" slap the shit out of them, then say, "THAT'S for not getting the guy is STILL trying to elect/re-elect RABID homohaters like McShame and Dan Coats ad nauseum. The guy can't get applause for raising money for marriage equality with one hand and using the other to write personal checks totaling tens of thousands of dollars to stack Congress with demagogues AGAINST marriage equality AND ENDA and ending the ban on gays in the military!"

Posted by: Michael@LeonardMatlovich.com | Aug 29, 2010 1:37:05 PM

8. What Ashburn and so many other Republican-cum-homo's seem to have is a disconnect between theory and practice. They claim that republican core values are respect and smaller government but what the republicans practice is farther reaching government and less respect of privacy and individuality.

Posted by: Mr. E | Aug 29, 2010 3:08:09 PM

9. To hell with both of them and the GOP. The only way these two get a pass is if they commit suicide and sell their body parts to raise money to help prevent gay teen suicides. Until then they better not step foot near me or there will be a homoside!

Posted by: Dave | Aug 29, 2010 3:17:01 PM

10. If the republican party "is the party that should be championing equal rights for gay people" Roy, how come they are not? Please explain that one to me....

Posted by: yeahisaidit | Aug 29, 2010 3:25:59 PM

11. To utter a comment like "the Republican party should be champion equal rights for gay people" tells me Roy is as diluted and self-loathing as ever. Dress up the Republican party for whatever it SHOULD but what IT IS is the party of destruction, devisiveness and hatred. Sorry Roy, sorry other deluded liar. Quit spreading more lies and harmful rhetoric, open your eyes to reality and fact.

You know, it's painful to be a man without a country and that's what it must feel like to come out and be a Republican at the same time. Loved by neither side. But you reap what you sow.

Posted by: Bart | Aug 29, 2010 3:36:10 PM

12. oh, boohoo. cry me a river, you horrible creature. you pulled a woman and eventually 4 daughters into your pathetic life with a cowardly lie, all the while working against gay rights. you didn't care about anyone but yourself, you grotesque glutton. most of us had a hard time of it, but we didn't pull others into a personal vortex of self-serving shame. we didn't work against our own to advance our careers and pad our bank balances. the only reason that you aren't as disgusting as mehlman is that you weren't in a position to cause more harm. on second thought, morality is measured by intent, not by the ability to flout it. you ARE as disgusting as mehlman.

Posted by: nic | Aug 29, 2010 3:52:34 PM

13. I actually think Ashburn's comments about what the Republican party should be championing is accurate. They should be for equality and their core values are aligned with that - however, social conservatives have hijacked their party (since the 68 election, but particularly during the 92 election) and forged an alliance with smaller government republicans that makes no sense.

I think he is just expressing what I expect to see become a growing divide in the republican party over the next few decades - smaller government conservatives and social conservatives. There are quite a few conservatives who think the cultural warriors are ridiculous. I hope to see that grow and I have to imagine it will.

Posted by: Joe | Aug 29, 2010 4:04:45 PM

14. It may not happen anytime soon but it might happen. After all, 100 years ago most blacks were Republicans and the Democratic Party was perceived as the party of racism, while today the situation is reverse.

Posted by: GrabbinNewscum | Aug 29, 2010 6:20:32 PM

15. because the situation is reversed, scum. And with republicunts like you proving it, that perception/reality isn't going to change.

Posted by: TANK | Aug 29, 2010 7:50:12 PM

16. um, Don't republicans make coming out harder?

Posted by: r | Aug 29, 2010 7:53:18 PM

17. >because the situation is reversed, scum. >And with republicunts like you proving it, >that perception/reality isn't going to >change.
    >Posted by: TANK | Aug 29, 2010 7:50:12 PM

Well gosh, that's a really refined, logical answer there, Tank! I hope it was worth every penny you paid to Buttfuck Community College to get your education! hahahahahahaahhahahaha

Posted by: GrabbinNewscum | Aug 29, 2010 7:57:19 PM

18. I thought Roy had an epiphany after he was outed, saw the light and all that. But I guess not.

Posted by: Soren456 | Aug 29, 2010 8:00:46 PM

19. Ashburn is right. The Republican Party should not discriminate against gays. It should be at the forefront of protecting individual liberties and the right to association between free people. It should promote conservative values like marriage by expanding it to include gay and lesbian couples.

It is not doing this, of course. But I think it's changing faster than you may realize. Anti-gay rhetoric is just not paying the bills like it used to. I could easily imagine in several decades a Republican Party that is not only pro-gay, but captures a majority of gay votes. This has already happened in Western Europe, where the right-wing parties compete with the left-wing parties for gay votes, and win them.

The visceral hatred so many gay men have for their brothers Ashburn and Mehlman is understandable. It's a feeling of betrayal. If you've been shit on for your whole life, it's hurtful to see other gay men doing the shitting. Either that or there's an ideological axe to grind.

It's understandable, but flawed. The honorable thing to do is to forgive. If I was in his situation, would I act differently? I hope I would, but I'm not sure I would. When I was in the closet, I said homophobic things that may have hurt someone. It certainly hurt myself. Is the difference between me and him a matter of power? That he has more power? But what difference does that make? Ultimately, we'll all die, and at that point the power means nothing at all. We must forgive!

Posted by: Xtabentun | Aug 29, 2010 8:21:04 PM

20. Don't knock community colleges, scum! They enable many people to climb out of poverty. And I attended devry, which places me beyond reproach. Devry, bitch! Oh, and you answer to scum...isn't that adorable?

Posted by: TANK | Aug 29, 2010 11:12:08 PM

21. >Don't knock community colleges, scum! They >enable many people to climb out of >poverty. And I attended devry, which >places me beyond reproach. Devry, bitch!
    >Posted by: TANK | Aug 29, 2010 11:12:08 PM

mmhmmmm

Posted by: GrabbinNewscum | Aug 29, 2010 11:46:02 PM

22. @GRABBIN, that link didn't work for me. are all those characters necessary?

Posted by: nic | Aug 30, 2010 6:49:33 AM

23. Isn't this like Hitler congratulating Rasputin on a job well done?

Posted by: Dev | Aug 30, 2010 7:58:43 AM

24. Wonder if these two bozos had a little something going the entire time they were busy lying about being gay and working to see that others were repressed and denied equality. They actually deserve each other.

Both of these clowns are delusional publicity seeking frauds. To both I simply say "too little, too late".

Posted by: Dillon | Aug 30, 2010 8:58:28 AM

25. Ashburn says he won't abandon the Republican party. Not to worry Roy, you won't have to abandon them they'll be abandoning you, if they haven't already. Already Tony Perkins and others from the religious right have condemned both you and Mehlman. And it was guys like you who handed your party over to the far right so now you'll bear the brunt of their hatred. Payback is truly a bitch.

Posted by: ThomT | Aug 30, 2010 9:07:43 AM