KKK Plans Protest For Anti-Gay Student Jennifer Keeton

6a00d8341c730253ef013486629d1a970c-800wi Well here's something unsettling: members of the Ku Klux Klan have decided to stage a rally in honor of Jennifer Keeton, the former August State University counseling student who sued for not being able to tell potential patients that homosexuality's an "identity disorder."

The KKK, like Keeton, believes the Georgia-based school violated her First Amendment rights. "It's your constitutional right, so how could you tell someone you have to do something completely different?" said Bobby Spurlock, imperial wizard of the KKK's North and South Carolina branches.

Spurlock also said that Keeton hasn't endorsed their action, scheduled for October 23 at ASU, although he did cryptically suggest a link: “She has not contacted us but we were contacted by someone that is aware of her.”

A judge tossed Keeton's First Amendment lawsuit against ASU earlier this year.

Perhaps the KKK will be met with protests similar to those that welcomed the Westboro Baptist Church yesterday.

Comments

1. Bart says

Won’t her parents be proud, I mean their little girl being honored by a national organization and all. She can hang her KKK certificate on the wall between her autographed photo of Carrie Prejean and her college diploma. What? Oh… She didn’t get her college diploma. Well then, it’s just Jenny, Carrie and the KKK.

2. rustytrawler says

Though it sounds bad, I believe any association with the KKK or Westboro actually helps our cause. It forces people who are checked out or on the fence to realize how crazy homophobes are.

3. alguien says

generally, when the klan comes to protest, the counter protestors show up in greater force.

hopefully, we’ll be provided with coverage of the event on 10/23

4. JTlvr says

I wonder if Miss Keeton realized her views were in line with the KKK? Well, she does now. I’m sure you’ll get everyone to champion your cause now, sweetie…

@LatinaGaia: I LOOOOOVE Tiziano Ferro! That’s awesome (but not surprising) news! Big news for Italy!

5. John in Houston says

The folks in the KKK have to know that when they associate themselves with someone or some cause, it ultimately hurts that person or cause to a much greater extent than it helps.

You have to wonder if they’re doing this in order to discredit this little tart.

6. Marcus says

HAHAHAHAHAHA! This is gonna be GOOD. The area where they are going to be protesting is pretty affluent. Affluent and predominantly black.

Looking forward to the counter protest. It’s only about an hour and a half for me to drive up there, so I might just go take part. Always wanted to give the KKK the middle finger.

7. TANK says

I see no reason to distinguish the KKK from groups like NOM, the racist knights of columbus, and religious institutions like the mormon church–specifically, which only admitted black members upon threat of revoking its tax exempt status.

8. Mona says

This is great news. People should see that homophobia has nothing to do with the First Amendment and everything to do with bigotry and prejudice.

9. Joe says

Why is the right wing repped by so many “pretty” women? Palin, Bachmann. Now this gal is the face of the KKK.

I really hope she speaks up and says she doesn’t support them. Any silence will just continue to expose what a HUGE BIGOT she is. What must her parents, family, friends, and people who grew up with her think.

You kind of know you’re on the wrong side when christianist and nom type organizations stands up for you. You know you are dead wrong and in no way right (and probably crazy) when one of America’s oldest and most hateful terrorist groups supports you decision and rises to your defense.

10. GregV says

“I really hope she speaks up and says she doesn’t support them. Any silence will just continue to expose what a HUGE BIGOT she is.”

Her own previous statements and crazy failed attempt at a lawsuit have already established what a huge bigot she is. But I don’t understand why you’d hope for that fact to NOT be exposed.
    If she shows up wearing one of the klan hoods, I hope there’s a news reporter who is right on it.

11. JOE 2 says

Dear “Imperial Wizard” Spurlock:

It is not a doctor’s constitutional right to tell a patient that rabies is caused by little green men from Mars, nor that eating celery sticks will cure said rabies. Similarly, it is not a counselor’s right to tell patients that same-sex attraction is an identity disorder. The American Counseling Association, the American Psychological Association, the Amercan Medical Association, the American Psychiatric Association, and kajillions of other researchers, scientists, and professional organizations have looked at tue research and concluded that same-sex desire is a natural, non-pathological variant of sexual orientation. To quote Daniel Patrick Moynihan, “everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.”

12. JOE 2 says

“The” research, not “tue” research, obviously (I hope). That’s what I get for relying on spell check.

13. stephen says

Man, this nation gets crazier and crazier all the time…

I gotta say, I feel a little defeated- but I DO hope people show up to counter their absurd message of idiocy.

14. Joe says

@GregV, I definitley think she is a bigot. I guess I was just trying to express how much this would expose that she is huge bigot or even more of bigot.

But you’re right, hopefully people here about this story. No one wants to publicly be sharing views with the KKK. I kind of want them, Focus and the Family, and NOM to do a hate event together so more independents wake up to how hateful these groups are.

15. Vann says

Just as a clarification, the university in question is Augusta State University, located in northeast Georgia.

16. shannon says

get ready for about 20 DELUSIONAL white people to show up!……LOL…AND THE AREA IS A WEALTHY BLAK AREA!…POR PEOPLE….UNEDUCATED TRSH DOES NOT GET IT!! NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU THINK AND YOU HAVE NO POWER!!!

17. comodude says

It’s hard to take an organization seriously when one of their leader’s title is “Imperial Wizard.” Really? That’s worse than the tech/Silicon Valley fascination with ninjas in their titles! :-)

18. wimsy says

Joe: “Why is the right wing repped by so many “pretty” women?”

Because the right wing tracks down pretty airheads to speak for them. Who would listen if a bald old pot-bellied racist spoke for the KKK? Nobody but other pot-bellied racists. But put a pretty girl in front of the camera, and people notice.

It’s no accident that spokespeople for the most vicious, virulent, hateful, bigoted messages are good-looking. It called image-building, and is based on the psychological sense that pretty/handsome = good.