Gay Marriage | News | Rebecca Kleefisch | Republican Party | Wisconsin

Wisconsin Lt. Governor Candidate Rebecca Kleefisch Apologizes for Comparing Gay Marriage to Marrying Clocks and Dogs

Rebecca_kleefisch

Wisconsin's GOP candidate for Lieutenant Governor Rebecca Kleefisch has apologized for remarks she made in a recent radio interview comparing gay marriage, WCCO reports

Kleefisch issued a Thursday statement apologizing.

"My comments were meant to relay my concern with redefining marriage," Kleefisch said in the statement. "I never intended to sound insensitive, and have the utmost respect for all people. I apologize for my poor choice of words."

Kleefisch won the Republican primary for lieutenant governor Sept. 14, eight months after the radio interview. Her victory automatically paired her with the GOP gubernatorial nominee Scott Walker.

Walker's spokeswoman Jill Bader said he was glad Kleefisch apologized for her comments.

No doubt.

Comments

1. Stupid jerk.

Posted by: michael | Oct 28, 2010 11:47:32 AM

2. "I didn't mean to sound insensitive,"

Usually, no one is listening.

Posted by: pete | Oct 28, 2010 11:56:40 AM

3. My clock is heartbroken.

Posted by: Ninong | Oct 28, 2010 11:58:32 AM

4. she's a dead ringer for jackie collins.

Posted by: cupcake | Oct 28, 2010 12:00:03 PM

5. Apology not accepted, jerk.

Posted by: DN | Oct 28, 2010 12:04:39 PM

6. She should be apologizing for that hair.

Posted by: tyn | Oct 28, 2010 12:22:50 PM

7. Don't care how you try to perfume it, if you oppose marriage equality, you're still a bigot with an ugly soul.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Oct 28, 2010 12:29:29 PM

8. I find it funny that these uptight churchies are the ones redefining marriage according to their beliefs and blaming it on the ones who want the opportunity to marry. Their views are just as frightening as their hairstyles.

Posted by: Matt | Oct 28, 2010 12:32:31 PM

9. every time a politician makes a nasty comment and get shit for it, they turn around to "apologize" usually saying "my comment was taken out of context" or "i was misunderstood". you know what, thats bullshit. you are a politician you are going to say what ever you need to say to get what you want. i dont accept your apology, you said something, you put it out there, its done.

Posted by: ronnie | Oct 28, 2010 12:37:20 PM

10. How can we convince Republicans that "respect" for us and marriage inequality are incompatible?

Posted by: Mona | Oct 28, 2010 12:37:24 PM

11. That is not an apology. Now you need to apologize twice.

Posted by: Fenrox | Oct 28, 2010 12:37:37 PM

12. Oh, please. Spare me your insincere half-assed apology. You wouldn't have said it if you didn't mean it. So own up to your homophobia... you've earned it.

Posted by: David in Houston | Oct 28, 2010 12:39:20 PM

13. Why would she equate my partner a clock or a dog? Sure, he's often timely and can be a bit of a brute at times, but he's still a good guy, smart, funny and handsome.

Dumb witch.

And, if she's not thinking about what she's saying at this stage in playing "the game", then how much thought does she put into what she's doing/would be doing at her job?

Posted by: Baby Jane | Oct 28, 2010 12:57:16 PM

14. I am tired of people in the public eye making comments that they reall do mean, (or elese they would not have said it) and then apologizing all over themselves once they get called on the comment. You said, you meant it. End of story.

Posted by: James | Oct 28, 2010 1:00:26 PM

15. She just noticed that Tuesday is election day and her ass was showing.

Posted by: patrick | Oct 28, 2010 1:25:47 PM

16. Fuck off. If you didn't mean it, you wouldn't have said it in the first place. Apologies don't mean BS, so just fuck off.

No apology expected because I meant what I said.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Oct 28, 2010 1:54:07 PM

17. My Timex and I hereby accept her apology.

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 28, 2010 2:02:23 PM

18. Wow - who knew you could teach a vagina to speak! Amazing...

Posted by: Tre Gibbs | Oct 28, 2010 4:45:40 PM

19. You just compared my fiancee to a non-person - an object, an *animal* - just because she doesn't have a penis, and you're now apologizing?

Blow me.

Posted by: Mana | Oct 28, 2010 4:57:24 PM

20. Is there a name for these big haired churcher bimbos other than southern? church hags? Bitch looks like she should be contributing columns to landover baptist.

Sick of these apologies. They mean nothing, and they're offered with that in mind.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 28, 2010 4:58:55 PM

21. I think I'm done with apologies in these situations. I just want a retraction. Where is it that she says that same-sex marriage is not like marrying a dog?

Instead, she says that she's concerned about "redefining marriage." Shorter Kleefisch: "who knew you could get in trouble for comparing same-sex marriage to marrying a dog or a clock?"

Posted by: John D | Oct 28, 2010 6:33:52 PM

22. WTF . That apology was half-hearted .
    It's like she apologizes for offending the people she offended - But she doesn't take it back.
    It was rude, cruel, heartless, thoughtless, /soul-less/ to even think to say that, let alone, DO SAY IT.
    I'm ashamed of you Walker, Kleefisch, WISCONSIN !
    Especially, Walker just making all the wrong choices anyways for Swisconsin like getting us the Maglev Trains or knocking down downtown Milwaukee. I don't care, I don't accept the apology of that hoe.

Posted by: Annie T | Nov 27, 2010 12:32:02 PM