Bullying | Fort Worth | Joel Burns

Radio Jock Attacks Fort Worth City Councilman Joel Burns

ChrisYou'd be hard-pressed to find anyone not touched by Joel Burns' anti-bullying speech during a Fort Worth City Council meeting last month. But at least one person wasn't: KLIF radio jock Chris Krok. His reaction was the exact opposite, actually.

The day after Burns' plea to bullied LGBT youth, Krok took to the airwaves to bash him mocking the gay city councilman with a lisp, calling him selfish and playing down gay teen suicide by outrageously claiming that not one gay kid in Forth Worth has committed suicide. The DJ is also upset with the fact that Burns referred to his partner as husband and asks Burns to "stop lying" about being married.

Krok is exactly the kind of the bully that Burns is trying to protect LGBT youth from. Listen to the rant, AFTER THE JUMP.

The station's contact information is below:

Talk Radio 570 KLIF

3500 Maple Avenue 16th Floor

Dallas, TX 75219

214-526-2400

Program Director: paul@klif.com

Chris Krok Show: chris.Afternoons@cumulus.com

Comments

1. It's may not be a bad idea to find out who owns the station and write to them. If the station is owned by a major chain (as many are) then emails from other parts of the county could be perceived as having a potential impact on the parent company (and other local stations) in addition to the station in question.

Posted by: Secret Identity | Nov 14, 2010 12:24:30 PM

2. Email sent the program director. I hope others are doing likewise.

Posted by: john | Nov 14, 2010 12:24:58 PM

3. Just so you know, this is the same local AM radio station that plays Glenn Beck and Michael Savage. All the racket we make is only going to give small time Krok even more attention, and he's starved for it.

Posted by: sam | Nov 14, 2010 12:31:29 PM

4. He also has a fairly dormant twitter account for the show -- @kroktalk

Posted by: Chris M | Nov 14, 2010 12:42:54 PM

5. PLEASE everyone send an E-mail asking for a apology

Posted by: diego | Nov 14, 2010 12:42:56 PM

6. Here is how this will play out. This no talent asshole will not make a sincere apology. He'll claim to receive death threats and read all the extreme letters he receives. The station will get some attention, a temp bump in listeners and then he'll fade back into obscurity in two months.

Posted by: Rory | Nov 14, 2010 1:01:47 PM

7. Fuck the apology. Fire the prick or else hunt him down and beat the living shit out of him. There can be no more compromise with these assholes.

Posted by: mike | Nov 14, 2010 1:15:00 PM

8. My email to the program director:

I learned about your DJ's antigay rant on the website HTTP://www.towleroad.com

I'm contacting you to express my extreme disappointment that this type of bigotry is allowed to air on your station. Gay teen suicide is a tragedy that could possibly be prevented if this type of hatred not given a platform. It's a cold world for gay people and this doesn't help us find our way in it. Gay kids need support and a listening ear, not bigotry and judgment.

Is it possible he's auditioning for a spot on Fox News?

Thank you for taking the time to read my message.

Posted by: ajbindenver | Nov 14, 2010 1:18:06 PM

9. After looking closely at the photograph attached to this story, I must object to the use of the word "jock" to describe this loser. If he's a jock, then I'm Lola Falana.

Posted by: The Milkman | Nov 14, 2010 1:26:47 PM

10. KLIF is owned by Cumulus Media and here is there info:

CUMULUS MEDIA INC./
    CUMULUS BROADCASTING INC.
    3280 Peachtree Road, NW Suite 2300
    Atlanta, Georgia 30305
    TEL: (404) 949-0700
    FAX: (404) 949-0740

No email addresses though.

Posted by: Terry | Nov 14, 2010 1:44:45 PM

11. He's just "stirring up the pot", so to speak. If he stirs up enough trouble his numbers go up. I'd rather bash him, using an email to the program director. He's not a "jock" in any sense of the word, and THE MILKMAN is not Lola Falana. God bless you Lola, where ever you are.

Posted by: Jerome | Nov 14, 2010 1:45:12 PM

12. email sent.

Posted by: Coffee&Chicory | Nov 14, 2010 1:45:21 PM

13. OK, I'll say it -- that DJ looks like one the gayest people I've ever seen.

Posted by: Justin Harter | Nov 14, 2010 1:47:31 PM

14. I hope they fire him. That's the only way he'll learn. Let him feel it in the wallet.

Contact Cumulus Media and call for his professional execution. They will listen.

Posted by: Tom | Nov 14, 2010 2:03:06 PM

15. KLIF is basically Fox talk radio for Dallas.
    E-mailing them and mentioning you're gay, a democrat, or black and then complaining about something is about as productive as pissing in the wind.

Posted by: urban observer | Nov 14, 2010 2:23:22 PM

16. Damn, I live in Dallas & I don't know where this hate speech comes from. Dallas is (get this, it's true) a very liberal; gay-friendly; tolerant place to live. His office is a few blocks from the about ten gay bars. I wonder if his hatred boiled along with his passion for the hot Latin men coming out of Kaliente.

Posted by: Grrr | Nov 14, 2010 2:23:29 PM

17. KLIF is supposed to be a top 40 radio station. Are we sure you are contacting the right people.

KLIF is owed by Cumulus, the jerks who refused to play the Dixie Chicks after their Bush comments.

Posted by: Mark | Nov 14, 2010 2:47:24 PM

18. By the way, KLIF's office and studios are in the Oak Lawn neighborhood of Dallas (75219 is the gayest zip code between the coasts) and across the street from the locally-infamous Reverchon Park.

Just sayin'.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Nov 14, 2010 2:58:21 PM

19. My spouse emailed the station manager the following letter:

Dear Paul:

My name is Stephen Thorn, and I would like to express my viewpoint regarding disc jockey Chris Krok's radio rant against Ft. Worth's City Council Member Joel Burn's anti-bullying plea at a Ft. Worth City Council meeting.

First, let me give you some professional background information about myself. I taught public school for more than 15 years, 13 years of which were either seventh or eighth grade Language Arts/Reading. I have taught in a variety of socio-economic school climates, ranging from low-income to upper-middle class. One thing that never varied, though, in all of these schools was the constant bullying of LGBT students. These children were tormented on a daily basis; however, I did the best job I could of maintaining a safe-space environment in my classroom, where every student was treated with respect. Sadly, this was not the case in the majority of these students' other classes and definitely not the case in the halls between classes/periods or before/after school. At the schools I taught at, there were cases of bullying varying in extremity from one young lady having the word "Dyke" carved into her locker when she came out, to the most extreme case I witnessed-- where a middle school student was pushed down a flight of stairs by a group of girls simply because they perceived her as lesbian; luckily, only her arm was broken. I have also been made personally aware of cases where students' cars were vandalized, in the two and a half years I taught high school English, simply because they were gay or lesbian. I have seen cases where LGBT students were physically harassed, strictly because of their sexual orientation; I am not even going to list the cases of continual verbal harassment these kids were subjected to constantly--accounts of that would fill this entire page and then some.

I listened to Chris Krok's public attack on Joel Burns, on your station. One glaring fact that Krok doesn't comprehend is that when non-LGBT students are facing bullying situations ( which I am not implying are any less extreme than situations where pupils are being tormented based strictly due to their perceived or actual sexual orientation )- most of these straight students, however, have a support network they can fall back on when they are being bullied. This is not the case for the majority of LGBT students, many of whom are afraid to even tell their parent(s) they're gay or lesbian, much less be able to then explain to them what's going on in school (due to their sexual orientation). Sadly, for so many of these kids there is no support network whatsoever at home-that's why the suicide rate for LGBT teens is three to four times higher than it is for their heterosexual peers.

Given the information above, rather than belittle Joel Burns for attempting to reach out to help these children ( which was in fact very brave of City Council Member Burns--I have spent time in the Ft. Worth metro area, specifically Irving, and it is not what I would call a politically liberal place ) Krok should have used his air time to commend Burns for taking this huge political risk in order to make a difference for these kids.

As station manager, you have a responsibility to discipline Chris Krok for his extremely hurtful and counter-productive tirade (while on company time, on the air) . Everyone is entitled to hold & express his or her own personal views, no matter how harmful they are to a specific group of people--even (LGBT) children; however, when Krok crossed the line and did so on the job & in a public forum, that's where it became a horse of a different color. My suggestion is termination--under these extremely serious circumstances, Krok has left you with no other alternative. My personal advice to Chris Krok is "Next time, pick on somebody your own size"---in his case, that would be a very small person indeed.

Sincerely,

Stephen Thorn

Posted by: Frederick | Nov 14, 2010 3:10:57 PM

20. fuck who owns the station write their advertisers. hit it where they will notice the wallet. tell their advertisers you won't buy from people who support bullying. they will get the message. krok is a crock of shit

Posted by: walter | Nov 14, 2010 3:12:59 PM

21. since the station owners own stations in other cities let their advertisers in other cities you won't support bullies in the other cities either. boycott their advertisers everywhere. it is time to use the only weapon we have money.

Posted by: walter | Nov 14, 2010 3:16:14 PM

22. @ "Milkman"

The word "jock," in the context of radio broadcasting, is a shortening of "disc jockey," a radio employee whose main task was to play records and, on occasion, announce time and station I.D. Believe me, it had nothing whatever to do with being in good physical shape or playing sports.

Nevertheless, we need to see this inflammatory a-hole as just another talking head trying to get attention and make a name for himself. The best way to deal with this guy is to ignore him. Secondarily, negative feedback to his employers is a good option.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Nov 14, 2010 3:21:37 PM

23. What a vile Krok 'o Shit! Monologues such as this give children permission to bully their peers. To have such talk come from such an obvious queen is doubly wrong. i am sending emails today. I am reminded of Michelle Bachmann and Sarah Palin's "Second Amendment Remedies." What's good for the goose... I'm just saying

Posted by: mad1026 | Nov 14, 2010 3:24:32 PM

24. Waste of blood that one.

Posted by: Skooter McGoo | Nov 14, 2010 3:26:46 PM

25. Yeah, write the advertisers directly. Don't bother with the station itself, it's a far-Right cesspool. Let the advertisers contact them, 'cause the station'll only use gay people complaining as fodder for this idiot bigot's show. If the advertisers start contacting them or some advertisers start dropping, the station won't utter a peep, except maybe a forced apology. Always hit 'em where it hurts-- in the pocketbook.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Nov 14, 2010 3:28:22 PM