News: Annie Lennox, Winona Ryder, Lightning, Wikileaks

road Lady Gaga, Alicia Keys and other celebrities have put their tweeting on pause until they raise $1 million for the Keep a Child Alive charity before World AIDS Day.

Annie  road Annie Lennox on life actually being easier if she were gay: "It's not like I think being gay could be an alternative, 'cos it isn't. I sometimes wish it would have been 'cos it would have made life easier…I think that for 90, maybe even 95 per cent, of women, men are a huge disappointment in relationship terms."

road The Kimpton hotel group tops gay and lesbian traveler list: "Of all the hotel brands, (Kimpton is) the most active in LGBT community," Paisley says. "They have a website, they sponsor tons of events and they advertise in gay and lesbian media."

road Lesbian couple bravely come out publicly in Botswana where homosexuality is illegal.

road Christopher Hitchens and Tony Blair debate religion. Says Hitchens: "Once you assume a creator and a plan, it makes us objects, in a cruel experiment, whereby we are created sick, and commanded to be well."

road Jake Gyllenhaal and Taylor Swift get caffeinated.

road Q&A with the cast and crew of John Cameron Mitchell's new film, Rabbit Hole.

Lightning  road 309,959,570 lightning strikes.

road Entertainment Weekly declares The Walking Dead “the best new show on TV.”

road Winona Ryder on the "gay" controversy surrounding her upcoming movie The Dilemma: "It's just crazy because I'm very sensitive to that issue and if I thought something was offensive I wouldn't want to be part of it. Plus all my gay friends use that word all the time so [protesters will] have to go and give them a hard time too."

road The latest Wikileaks documents are here.

road Apparently some people have enough spare time that they can go about claiming ownership of the sun.

road Sarah Palin's new book – the Cliff Notes version.

Comments

1. ratbastard says

Hitchen’s said:

“…it makes us objects, in a cruel experiment, whereby we are created sick, and commanded to be well.”

…Mr. Hitchen’s just described what the study of sociology and applied sociology attempt to do all the time. Human beings are constantly used as guinea pigs in often ‘cruel’ experiments where ‘collateral damage’ are accepted. Marketers, academia, ideological fanatics [left,right,whatever] frequently look upon human beings flawed ‘objects’ that need to be ‘fixed’.

…Just saying.

2. Jacob says

“Lady Gaga, Alicia Keys and other celebrities have put their tweeting on pause until they raise $1 million for the Keep a Child Alive charity before World AIDS Day on Tuesday.”

World AIDS day is December 1st, which is a Wednesday not a Tuesday. I know the google article says “The entertainers plan to sign off of social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter on Tuesday, which is World AIDS Day”, but this does not make sense.

3. ratbastard says

Hey fabulously wealthy ‘celebrities':

…Instead of spending LAVISHLY on cars, planes, parties,trips,homes,clothes,drugs…why not donate to a favored charitable cause? Most of you are hard working and intelligent people and entitled to make the kind money others are willing to pay you. However, you can live quite comfortably without being lavish and gluttonous. If there is just one person unable to afford a life saving operation or mentally ill, disabled, and elderly folks aren’t properly cared for sometimes through lack of funds [not always, sometimes through incompetence and corruption in social services] it’s un-acceptable to spend and live with lavish gluttony.

4. Paul R says

From the outside, it seems like lesbian relationships are more readily satisfying. I think that was Annie’s point: women may get along more readily/steadily in homo relationships than hetero ones, for myriad reasons.

As for settling, it’s often a matter of whether you want to settle or be alone–and, of course, how much you’re willing to settle.

5. Paul R says

6. TANK says

Being alone is settling for being alone–I meant it as a tired cliche (as lennox’s opinion was nothing but another well worn cliche about gender and sex), because cliches don’t become useful if they don’t hint at some aspect of the condition of being alive…but they are useless, especially when they are advice…advice is mostly to be avoided. Many people do settle for being alone. It’s good to develop a relationship with yourself for that purpose, and even not for that purpose, because you spend the most time with yourself regardless. So be interesting…at least…we all annoy ourselves…or we should, because believe you me, none of us fail to be insufferable (and it’s useful to be irritated– perpetually dissatisfied and always looking for a bettle deal)…but develop that a way to adapt, if you have the time.

I don’t personally think that durability of lesbian relationships (and many lesbian relationships aren’t durable…that’s another cliche that annoys me, and probably many lesbians) is any indication of relationship satisfaction, but more likely reflects a sex difference the byproduct of evolutionary processes. Plenty of people have been together for most of their lives who despise one another, and are unhappy.

7. ratbastard says

More tired BS about lesbians [and females in general] being more stable, relationship oriented, not prone to domestic violence…compared to MEN[!]. C’mon, I agree there are generalized gender differences in how males and females process certain things, including emotion, but females are not inherently more loving and whatnot. And there’s plenty of domestic violence between lesbians…I would guess there’s probably more than what exists between 2 males because females are, as a rule, more emotional and sensitive to hurt feelings, perceived erroneous or otherwise feelings, etc., And most domestic violence [even a lot of violence in general] involves females, girlfriend, wives, and the resultant drama that goes with the territory.

And no, I’m not misogynous, certainly don’t hate females, lesbian or otherwise. But this constant anti-male BS propaganda has got to be exposed and challenged for the crap it is.

And I agree, people should learn to be comfortable with themselves. We all do indeed spend most of our lives solitary, and will all die alone.

8. Derek Pearce says

Ratbastard, what on earth are you doing trying to equate sociology with religion? Sociologists examine/study and comment or recommend, they don’t command by divine fiat. They’re nothing alike.

9. Randy says

Winona Ryder, you are a moron. If you aren’t reading your lines, best not to say anything at all.

I can’t believe that, as an actor who expects people to actually pay to see your work, you would tell a segment of your audience that you know that they are actually OK with a phrase that some of them just told you is offensive to them.

It’s one thing to say “F you, I’ll say what I want”. I can sort of respect that, if it’s honest and equally-applied. But don’t pretend you know more about gay people than gay people do.

So, let’s name those names Winona. Who is OK with “that’s so gay”?

10. terry says

Getting sick of the anti-male crap about how women are sick of men. Newsreal ladies! If you’re unhappy with men with that kind of attitude I doubt you’ll find happiness with women, or at least a woman who’ll tolerate you!

11. Paul R says

I was too tired to add that I wasn’t defending the comments by Annie (and the comment by Ryder is so stupid it doesn’t merit comment), because from what I know she’s difficult to get along with—as are most people (her “90-95 percent”) over the long term, so her comment is pretty stupid too. Trying to find an ideal match is difficult if you’re gay or straight, male or female.

But Ratbastard, look at the data: most violence is driven by men (usually hetero), whether toward women or men. That’s a simple fact. That said, most of my friends are straight men, closely followed by straight women. I haven’t been close friends with a lesbian in many years, so perhaps I shouldn’t have commented on their relationships. But at one time I was close to many lesbians, and their relationships were very different from those of straight and gay couples I knew.

Given that, I might as well make another sweeping generalization: many lesbians prefer to hang out only with other lesbians.

12. ratbastard says

POSTED BY: DEREK PEARCE | NOV 29, 2010 12:06:05 AM

******************8

*”…it makes us objects, in a cruel experiment, whereby we are created sick, and commanded to be well.”

*Human beings are constantly used as guinea pigs in often ‘cruel’ experiments where ‘collateral damage’ are accepted. Marketers, academia, ideological fanatics [left,right,whatever] frequently look upon human beings flawed ‘objects’ that need to be ‘fixed’.

*SOCIAL ENGINEERING