Bristol Palin | Margaret Cho | Sarah Palin | Television

Bristol Palin Responds To Cho With Odd 'Indigo Girls' Logic

Bristolpalindwts Margaretchodwts

Margaret Cho's assertion this week that Bristol Palin's mother pressured her onto Dancing With the Stars prompted a response from Ms. Palin, one that has people wondering if the 20-year old took a jab at Cho's bisexuality.

Though insistent she and Bristol are friends, Cho wrote on her blog that "someone who should really know" told her Bristol was forced onto the hit ABC show, and asserted, "The only reason Bristol was on the show was because Sarah Palin forced her to do it."

"Sarah supposedly blames Bristol harshly and openly (in the circles that I heard it from) for not winning the election," Cho claimed. "And so she told Bristol she 'owed' it to her to do DWTS so that 'America would fall in love with her again' and make it possible for Sarah Palin to run in 2012."

Well, Bristol responded on Facebook last night and, following Cho's suit, reiterated that the women are friends, but remains "taken aback" by the comedienne's comments.

"I will give my friend credit for creativity, and extra points for getting so many 'facts' wrong in so few sentences," wrote Palin. "Let me be blunt: my mom did not 'force' me to go on DWTS.  She did not ask me either. The show approached me."

Palin goes on to declare "politics had nothing to do with [my decision]." She also argued, "I seriously doubt anyone who considers herself a student of American politics truly believes I impacted even one vote in that election."

It's a pretty politically worded letter for a non-political person, and fairly persuasive. Bristol's end note, however, brings the entire thing back into partisan light, and it's distinctly lavender.

Writes Palin, "You say you 'don't agree with the family's politics at all, [but] if you understood that commonsense conservative values supports the right of individuals like you, like all of us, to live our lives with less government interference and more independence, you would embrace us faster than KD Lang at an Indigo Girls concert."

In light of Palin sister Willow's recent anti-gay remarks, it's not surprising people are reading Bristol's missive as a below-the-belt attack, although it's far too illogical to be read as a directly homophobic hit. Why would Cho embrace KD Lang at an Indigo Girls concert? Or is KD Lang just a stock lesbian?

Maybe the line was meant to be "faster than a girl embraces KD Lang at an Indigo Girls concert?" Or, rather, "Faster than KD Lang embraces a lady at an Indigo Girls Concert?"

I'm confused, and I suspect Palin may be, as well.

Comments

1. "commonsense conservative values supports the right of individuals"

This isn't actually true.

Posted by: BC | Dec 5, 2010 1:22:55 PM

2. There is no way Bristol Palin wrote that. Also, her attempt at lesbian insider humor is sophomoric.

Posted by: Mrs. Sippi | Dec 5, 2010 1:27:28 PM

3. Bristol's probably right. She couldn't possibly have done more damage to Sarah's campaign than Sarah did.

The only reason that conservative voters would care that the "Family Values" party's candidate's daughter is an unwed teen-aged mother would be if the candidate were from another party.

Posted by: MikeInSanJose | Dec 5, 2010 1:30:07 PM

4. I also thought that someone must be doing her copy, if not she is 100% more articulate than her Mother, then again so is a five year old.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Dec 5, 2010 1:33:43 PM

5. It does sound like she's trying to say that conservative values support GLBT rights - but she can't be that confused, can she? Next she'll be saying conservatives support social justice and a safety net.

Posted by: marshallt | Dec 5, 2010 1:37:23 PM

6. How many ghost writers do you think this family needs to keep up?

Posted by: TonsofT | Dec 5, 2010 1:40:11 PM

7. MarshallT is it.

Posted by: Mrs. Sippi | Dec 5, 2010 1:42:53 PM

8. OMG - just had an idea for Bristol's next reality TV show. Let's see her try to live on the amount of money the government provides to uneducated single teenage mom's whose mother doesn't happen to be rich and famous. Season Two could be Bristol gets a job at McDonald's and struggles to pay for child care.

Posted by: marshallt | Dec 5, 2010 1:43:45 PM

9. "commonsense conservative values supports the right of individuals"...WTF? Is she out of her mind? She will only be able to get the fact right when she can get out of her denial for being a bigot just like the rest of her family.

Posted by: Theo | Dec 5, 2010 1:46:43 PM

10. I want to see Bristol Palin in the Black Swan role next.

Posted by: christopher | Dec 5, 2010 1:58:55 PM

11. If she doesn't think she factored into the way people voted then she is wrong. The fact that Sarah was for abstinence only education and a host of "family values" while toting around a daughter who was 17, pregnant, and in a shot-gun wedding made palin and her family values non-sense look foolish.

Posted by: Joe | Dec 5, 2010 1:59:20 PM

12. I think she meant to say, "...that commonsense conservative values supports the right of individuals like you, like all of us, to live our lives with less government interference and more independence as long as you're a white straight Christian."

Damn, that family is fucking stupid.

Posted by: David in Houston | Dec 5, 2010 2:20:42 PM

13. It's pretty hard to blame Bristol for saying yes, imo. I can't imagine any kid would say no either...and I'm not sure they/she should. Sure, she's on the nepotism express & I'm not a fan, but it's impossible to blame her for being born into that mob. Smartly she realized she might need some F-you money when mom finally goes all the way around the bend! I'd much rather see Levi on DWTS, he seems to be on the short end of this whole deal. While being on the "outs" w/Sarah Palin is probably a plus for him he still needs to support his kid. Plus would it not piss Sara off if Levi actually WON DWTS?

I wonder...If Bristol had given Levi a BJ instead of screwing his lights out (go abstinence) would she continue to be or ever have become a role model?

Posted by: PS66 | Dec 5, 2010 2:47:01 PM

14. Ms. Cho (with her phony claims of bisexuality) is the liar and deceiver here...why even spread such silly garbage Ms. Cho...because you have NO career and you cling to the gay audience because they are the ONLY ones that come to your shows...of course Bristol's comments are screened and polished...DUH!

Ms. Cho is much like Kathy Griffin but far less funny and far less ballsy but in the end...I am not a gay man who needs your pandering to shell out my money to see the SAME old stand-up routine year after, after year...oh yeah that goes for Ms. Griffin as well.

Posted by: True Words | Dec 5, 2010 3:04:04 PM

15. @True Words
    Tell it brother! Margaret Cho is proof-positive of the LGBT need for "representation" even when it's nowhere to be found.

She is beyond a joke -- and not a funny one at that.

I'm ready for some REAL gay stars!

Posted by: David Kaufman | Dec 5, 2010 3:52:04 PM

16. Turn on A-List

Posted by: Its True | Dec 5, 2010 4:03:26 PM

17. Is this Ms Cho's attempt to get some publicity and try to get back into the limelight now that her 1DWTS moment is up?
    Ms Cho is not funny (anyone here happen to see her in Provincetown? 'nuf said).

Posted by: Oliver | Dec 5, 2010 4:11:12 PM

18. @True Words

Yeah, Im sure you have challenged Margaret to a series of pussy eating contests to affirm her bisexuality. Just because she isn't married to a woman doesn't mean she doesn't have an attraction to women and had experienced lesbian sex. So your claims of her so called "phoniness" hold as much weight as her claims about Bristol. Its one thing to be turned off by someone's style of humor, you dont have to be a bitter bitch about someone who has been vocal of their support of the glbt community from very early in their career. My god, take a laxative miss thang!

Posted by: Toto | Dec 5, 2010 4:19:58 PM

19. Hey Toto, I have eaten about 20-25 pussies and let me tell you I know my way around that meaty clitoris/vulva and that sweet pearl that oozes once you get it going with your tongue or even a few fingers...

However Ms. Cho is a liar and a phony and I would gladly have a pussy eating contest with her with my boyfriend standing by my side..

Her support is to fill seats; that comes first...where was her support when she started out NO WHERE; she dried up on the landscape and all of a sudden she was gay friendly...

BTW: Toto pussy is warm and delicious

Posted by: True Words | Dec 5, 2010 4:30:43 PM

20. @True Words

I'll let you keep all the pussy you want, believe me. Until I see some proof of her phoniness all I see is the pot calling the kettle black.

Now,'scuse me while I vomit.

Posted by: Toto | Dec 5, 2010 4:45:29 PM

21. Yummy!

Posted by: True Words | Dec 5, 2010 4:51:20 PM

22. "someone who should really know"

Is this like "somebody says"? Put up or shut up, Cho.

Posted by: Tom | Dec 5, 2010 5:15:55 PM

23. @True Words: Go back to bed, Tony Perkins.

Posted by: Please | Dec 5, 2010 5:18:39 PM

24. I saw Margaret Cho perform a couple of years ago and assumed that she had given up comedy for the lecture circuit.

As far as the letter she received goes, I agree with those who say Bristol didn't write it. It sounds too much like the mumbo jumbo that comes out of her mother's mouth.

Posted by: Steve in DE | Dec 5, 2010 5:49:20 PM

25. I'm not 100% sure her response is homophobic (more like an extremely lame attempt at humor, and I doubt Bristol even knows who k.d. Lang is, so I'm sure she didn't write this). But after Sarah Palin's defense of her daughter Willow using the word "faggot" in a derogatory way, I'm not surprised at this response. How does that song go? "You've got to be carefully taught to hate." Pretty much sums up the Palin family, if you ask me.

Posted by: finkles2000 | Dec 5, 2010 6:49:30 PM