Guns | Meghan McCain | News | Rachel Maddow

Watch: Maddow Accepts Meghan McCain Invite to NRA Convention

Meghan

In a segment about efforts toward civility in Congress following the Giffords shooting and plans for parties to sit together at the State of the Union speech, Rachel Maddow speaks to NRA member Meghan McCain, who invites Maddow to accompany her to the NRA convention.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via the advocate)

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. Is anyone else more than a little bored with McCain?

Posted by: DerekWashington | Jan 18, 2011 10:27:08 AM

2. This girl (McCain) supposedly has an Ivy League education, but she is a complete idiot with no credentials. Consensus building is good, but no one right or left is listening to her.

Posted by: tim | Jan 18, 2011 10:34:35 AM

3. I actually think Meghan sums up how I am feeling. You can understand and disagree with another person's position without demonizing the person.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Sitting together in Congress, while largely symbolic, it's what happens afterwords that matters. If this bipartisanship fizzles afterwords then it really doesn't matter. It will take more of a culture shift where people crave and put pressure on their congress members to continue being bipartisan.

Its a long shot but I have hope.

Posted by: Chuck | Jan 18, 2011 10:44:57 AM

4. wait. are they dating?

Posted by: zt | Jan 18, 2011 11:15:55 AM

5. People often complain when celebrities are given the spotlight to voice their views on political matters. Meghan McCain's opinions have no more validity than.....Justin Bieber's.... as far as I can tell.

Posted by: StillmarriedinCA | Jan 18, 2011 11:21:57 AM

6. naa.... i don't think there dating

Posted by: cody2earth | Jan 18, 2011 11:33:32 AM

7. You didn't watch the segment carefully. Rachel mentioned that she met her wife Susan at a gun event.

Rachel's really spectacular in reaching out to the other side to discuss things in a reasonable and intelligent manner. She certainly doesn't agree with Meghan McCain on any number of issues but she welcoems the fact that they can converse rationally.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 18, 2011 11:37:16 AM

8. Well at least partisanship and demonizing the opponent is alive and well on this site.

Posted by: Manhattanvince | Jan 18, 2011 11:59:25 AM

9. I don't understand why Meghan McCain gets such a bad rap from people on here. While I wouldn't say that I agree with her on many issues, I think she does a great job of being civil and open to what people with different ideologies have to say. If more Republicans (and Democrats for that matter) were like her, we might actually be able to move forward in this country rather than ending in political stalemates.

Posted by: Matthew | Jan 24, 2011 4:23:14 PM