Gay Marriage | Indiana | News

BigGayDeal.com

Indiana House Votes 70-26 in Favor of Constitutionally Banning Same-Sex Marriage and Civil Unions

Indiana

The Indiana House of Representatives has approved a constitutional amendment that would ban both same-sex marriage and civil unions in the Hoosier State.

The amendment states: "Marriage. Provides that only marriage between one man and one woman shall be valid or recognized as a marriage in Indiana. Provides that a legal status identical or substantially similar to that of marriage for unmarried individuals shall not be valid or recognized. This proposed amendment has not been previously agreed to by a general assembly."

The Courier Press reports:

The House voted 70-26 for the ban, starting the clock on the long process of amending Indiana’s constitution.

It now moves to the Senate, where such a ban has passed with little trouble in recent years. If it clears the Senate, then a separately-elected House and Senate must once again approve the ban in either 2013 or 2014. Then, voters would have the final say in a November 2014 referendum.

A long and ugly road.

In related news, we'll likely get a final vote on civil unions in Hawaii tomorrow, and possibly a vote on marriage equality in Maryland by the end of the week. A lot happening. Stay tuned, folks...

Comments

1. Another awesome move from my state! Next thing you know, the House and Senate will be eating lesbians with a side of mashed potatoes for lunch.

Posted by: Josh | Feb 15, 2011 6:49:12 PM

2. Once again, so very proud to be a gay Hoosier. :(

Now we really will have second class citizens in this country, when I could get married in another state but not here.

Posted by: Baraeris | Feb 15, 2011 7:02:24 PM

3. Indiana always has been a shithole. Look how they treated Ryan White. They're almost less intelligent than Arizona and Mississippi... almost.

Posted by: Nanny McBone | Feb 15, 2011 7:08:41 PM

4. No offense, but you are really getting into Missippi kinds of legislation. When did Indiana become part of the "deep and dismal" south? The population put 70 percent brain dead legislators in control of their government? They are a hell of a lot dumber than even the people in my home state of North Carolina. Trying to catch up with Texas, maybe?

Posted by: candideinnc | Feb 15, 2011 7:15:49 PM

5. Too pissed off to type correctly--Mississippi. But what does it matter? Most people in that state can barely read, anyway.

Posted by: candideinnc | Feb 15, 2011 7:25:58 PM

6. This is yet another reason why Indiana is a place that people come *from*, not go *to*.

Posted by: Max | Feb 15, 2011 7:38:35 PM

7. It's very simple. If something is unconstitutional, just change the damn constitution.

Posted by: fred | Feb 15, 2011 7:47:28 PM

8. I knew there was a reason why I never considered even visiting Indiana.

Posted by: NY2.0 | Feb 15, 2011 8:03:26 PM

9. Well, there go my plans to relocate to Indianapolis!

Seriously, though, this is disgusting and shameful.

Posted by: E. | Feb 15, 2011 8:09:49 PM

10. Indiana has always been one of the worst states in terms of..........enlightenment after the Southern states people quickly think of. Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Indiana, states that people sometimes ignore just how backwards they mostly are. This entire anti marriage situation we're seeing is NOTHING more then sending a message to us that pretty much we're out here, you're still faggots, we hate you, stay in your place. Things generally get uglier before they get better when it comes to widespread societal change, so while other states are progressing, the regressive states will continue in the opposite direction, and even stronger in their bigotry than the past. My thoughts go out to the LGBT citizens and straight supporters as well in these states, who are the most impacted.

Posted by: Francis | Feb 15, 2011 8:12:51 PM

11. 'Pure Indiana, Pure Backwards'...the economic development slogan to attract every metal stamping plant in the country...

Posted by: ChicagoMike | Feb 15, 2011 8:15:13 PM

12. With Liberty and Justice for some!

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Feb 15, 2011 8:40:37 PM

13. @Nanny McBone

Would you believe there's still people who get all heated up about Ryan White?

I attended Western high school where Ryan went and the subject is still treated as very taboo, hush hush. What teachers remain from Ryan's time there don't like to talk about it, and I can't blame them.

My mother's brother, for example, got very upset last summer and tried to shout me down at a family gathering after I said that certain treatment that Ryan and his family received was unwarranted. He was railing on about how Ryan would spit on people (a claim I haven't heard before), as if spitting justifies the harassment that the family suffered. He goes on to say how you can catch AIDS that way and how segregating Ryan to a separate bathroom wasn't enough... good grief, it's like these people never learned a damn thing... So I attempted to explain how you really have almost no chance whatsoever of catching HIV/AIDS through saliva or casual contact...

Well I'm sure you can probably guess that I was the *only* person trying to be a voice of reason, although had the family mix been a little different that day I feel assured that I might have had someone, anyone, back me up with reason and moderation.

Posted by: Baraeris | Feb 15, 2011 8:57:33 PM

14. @Nanny McBone

One more thing! After explaining how you can't catch HIV that way he says that people back then didn't know you couldn't get HIV like that. I did call bullshit on him, but to no affect.

Anyway, despite that he still played Blame-the-Victim.

Posted by: Baraeris | Feb 15, 2011 9:00:23 PM

15. First They came... - Pastor Martin Niemoller
    First they came for the communists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
    and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Posted by: Jeff | Feb 15, 2011 9:23:45 PM

16. Come to Chicago or Illinois for that matter! We'll welcome you with open arms, legal civil unions and hopefully marriage soon!

Posted by: Gary | Feb 15, 2011 9:53:47 PM

17. It is funny what a little perspective can bring to a situation.

A few years ago, when a state altered their constitution I found it very sad. I actually believed it was an omen of a negative future.

Now I actually understand the phrase 'You can't unring the bell.' Gay men and women are no longer willing to accept what the majority hands us. We can be patient - sometimes. We can be outspoken - sometimes. But no one is putting us back in the closet. I pay my fair share of taxes - I want my fair share of benefits, so many of which are tied to the word marriage.

So now, when I hear a state has altered their constitution to illustrate their bigotry, I actually smile. Because I know, and the bigots know, time is against them. The next generation doesn't not harbour the same hate and fear. And I can be patient.

In the meantime, I want a tax deduction for the benefits I pay for yet am denied.

Posted by: MikeBoston | Feb 15, 2011 10:05:53 PM

18. You queers are running out of states.

Posted by: indiana rox! | Feb 15, 2011 10:07:41 PM

19. this pretty much sums up why i left indiana. bloomington is pretty cool though, mainly because it's an international town, due to the presence of indiana university. take bloomington out of indiana and you're left with a sinkhole of a state. i still love it, it don't love me tho.

Posted by: gregg | Feb 15, 2011 10:15:46 PM

20. Darn, and I really wanted to play house in Gary, Indiana. No gay marriage for that toxic dump!

Posted by: Gregoire | Feb 15, 2011 10:35:59 PM

21. God, America has to fix itself up. Indiana is a symptom of the anti-gay disease that's been left to fester here for so long.

Posted by: X | Feb 15, 2011 10:37:00 PM

22. What people don't realize is that Indiana frequently elects Democratic politicians. Not always, but frequently. It also went blue for Obama. This vote is disgusting, but the state itself, like Iowa, has a large amount of people who just don't care. Comparing it to Oklahoma or Mississippi is just disgusting. Not as disgusting as this vote, but it's another type of misinformation.

Posted by: Billy | Feb 15, 2011 11:22:06 PM

23. @BILLY No it's not misinformation. Regardless of how you'd like to comfort yourself. Whether a Democrat is sometimes elected or votes for Obama is irrelevant. This was a vote to oppress someone. It's a bass-ackward shithole. Period. If you don't like that it's a a bass-ackward shithole then change it but don't try to spin it as something that it's not.

Posted by: Nanny McBone | Feb 16, 2011 12:30:30 AM

24. 1) Indiana does not regularly elect democrats. It is very much a red state.

2) Indiana is as bad as mississippi or oklahoma- in fact, the sponsor of the amendment represents a city that was the site of the last lynching north of the Mason-Dixon

don't get it twisted- Indiana sucks

Posted by: MadM@ | Feb 16, 2011 1:50:13 AM

25. These are our friends in the Indiana legislature. Ed Clere from Southern Indiana is the lone Republican among these 26. Please thank them for their courage and vision.

VOTING NAY: 26
    Ryan Dvorak
    Craig Fry
    Benjamin GiaQuinta
    Earl Harris
    Shelia Klinker
    Linda Lawson
    Winfield "Win" C. Moses, Jr.
    Scott Pelath