Indiana House Votes 70-26 in Favor of Constitutionally Banning Same-Sex Marriage and Civil Unions

Indiana

The Indiana House of Representatives has approved a constitutional amendment that would ban both same-sex marriage and civil unions in the Hoosier State.

The amendment states: "Marriage. Provides that only marriage between one man and one woman shall be valid or recognized as a marriage in Indiana. Provides that a legal status identical or substantially similar to that of marriage for unmarried individuals shall not be valid or recognized. This proposed amendment has not been previously agreed to by a general assembly."

The Courier Press reports:

The House voted 70-26 for the ban, starting the clock on the long process of amending Indiana’s constitution.

It now moves to the Senate, where such a ban has passed with little trouble in recent years. If it clears the Senate, then a separately-elected House and Senate must once again approve the ban in either 2013 or 2014. Then, voters would have the final say in a November 2014 referendum.

A long and ugly road.

In related news, we'll likely get a final vote on civil unions in Hawaii tomorrow, and possibly a vote on marriage equality in Maryland by the end of the week. A lot happening. Stay tuned, folks…

Comments

1. Baraeris says

Once again, so very proud to be a gay Hoosier. :(

Now we really will have second class citizens in this country, when I could get married in another state but not here.

2. candideinnc says

No offense, but you are really getting into Missippi kinds of legislation. When did Indiana become part of the “deep and dismal” south? The population put 70 percent brain dead legislators in control of their government? They are a hell of a lot dumber than even the people in my home state of North Carolina. Trying to catch up with Texas, maybe?

3. Francis says

Indiana has always been one of the worst states in terms of……….enlightenment after the Southern states people quickly think of. Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Indiana, states that people sometimes ignore just how backwards they mostly are. This entire anti marriage situation we’re seeing is NOTHING more then sending a message to us that pretty much we’re out here, you’re still faggots, we hate you, stay in your place. Things generally get uglier before they get better when it comes to widespread societal change, so while other states are progressing, the regressive states will continue in the opposite direction, and even stronger in their bigotry than the past. My thoughts go out to the LGBT citizens and straight supporters as well in these states, who are the most impacted.

4. Baraeris says

@Nanny McBone

Would you believe there’s still people who get all heated up about Ryan White?

I attended Western high school where Ryan went and the subject is still treated as very taboo, hush hush. What teachers remain from Ryan’s time there don’t like to talk about it, and I can’t blame them.

My mother’s brother, for example, got very upset last summer and tried to shout me down at a family gathering after I said that certain treatment that Ryan and his family received was unwarranted. He was railing on about how Ryan would spit on people (a claim I haven’t heard before), as if spitting justifies the harassment that the family suffered. He goes on to say how you can catch AIDS that way and how segregating Ryan to a separate bathroom wasn’t enough… good grief, it’s like these people never learned a damn thing… So I attempted to explain how you really have almost no chance whatsoever of catching HIV/AIDS through saliva or casual contact…

Well I’m sure you can probably guess that I was the *only* person trying to be a voice of reason, although had the family mix been a little different that day I feel assured that I might have had someone, anyone, back me up with reason and moderation.

5. Baraeris says

@Nanny McBone

One more thing! After explaining how you can’t catch HIV that way he says that people back then didn’t know you couldn’t get HIV like that. I did call bullshit on him, but to no affect.

Anyway, despite that he still played Blame-the-Victim.

6. Jeff says

First They came… – Pastor Martin Niemoller
    First they came for the communists,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a Jew.

Then they came for me
    and there was no one left to speak out for me.

7. MikeBoston says

It is funny what a little perspective can bring to a situation.

A few years ago, when a state altered their constitution I found it very sad. I actually believed it was an omen of a negative future.

Now I actually understand the phrase ‘You can’t unring the bell.’ Gay men and women are no longer willing to accept what the majority hands us. We can be patient – sometimes. We can be outspoken – sometimes. But no one is putting us back in the closet. I pay my fair share of taxes – I want my fair share of benefits, so many of which are tied to the word marriage.

So now, when I hear a state has altered their constitution to illustrate their bigotry, I actually smile. Because I know, and the bigots know, time is against them. The next generation doesn’t not harbour the same hate and fear. And I can be patient.

In the meantime, I want a tax deduction for the benefits I pay for yet am denied.

8. gregg says

this pretty much sums up why i left indiana. bloomington is pretty cool though, mainly because it’s an international town, due to the presence of indiana university. take bloomington out of indiana and you’re left with a sinkhole of a state. i still love it, it don’t love me tho.

9. Billy says

What people don’t realize is that Indiana frequently elects Democratic politicians. Not always, but frequently. It also went blue for Obama. This vote is disgusting, but the state itself, like Iowa, has a large amount of people who just don’t care. Comparing it to Oklahoma or Mississippi is just disgusting. Not as disgusting as this vote, but it’s another type of misinformation.

10. Nanny McBone says

@BILLY No it’s not misinformation. Regardless of how you’d like to comfort yourself. Whether a Democrat is sometimes elected or votes for Obama is irrelevant. This was a vote to oppress someone. It’s a bass-ackward shithole. Period. If you don’t like that it’s a a bass-ackward shithole then change it but don’t try to spin it as something that it’s not.

11. MadM@ says

1) Indiana does not regularly elect democrats. It is very much a red state.

2) Indiana is as bad as mississippi or oklahoma- in fact, the sponsor of the amendment represents a city that was the site of the last lynching north of the Mason-Dixon

don’t get it twisted- Indiana sucks

12. TruthSeeker_Too says

These are our friends in the Indiana legislature. Ed Clere from Southern Indiana is the lone Republican among these 26. Please thank them for their courage and vision.

VOTING NAY: 26
    Ryan Dvorak
    Craig Fry
    Benjamin GiaQuinta
    Earl Harris
    Shelia Klinker
    Linda Lawson
    Winfield “Win” C. Moses, Jr.
    Scott Pelath
    Matt Pierce
    Greg Porter
    Cherrish Pryor
    Gail Riecken
    Vernon Smith
    Dan Stevenson
    Mary Ann Sullivan
    Dennis Tyler
    Shelli VanDenburgh

13. johnny says

Meh, it’s Indiana, very typical.

Eventually this will be a federal issue and then all of this state crap will be water under the bridge. Besides, even if this bill didn’t pass, Indiana would still be a cultural shithole full of hate. I know, I live here. All you need to do is read the comments section of our local newspaper to see how many idiots we have.

But hey, it’s pretty here in the fall, right?

14. Esurb says

Peggy Welch, Dem. from 60, was sheperded into politics by young, gay politicians. She has always been homophobic (and anti-choice) and protected by these self-loathing dumbasses. They won’t even cooperate at election time to inform gay audiences how this woman uses them!

15. Javier says

While this is a sad commentary on Indiana, INdiana is the norm, not the exception. Approximately 40 states ban gay marriage, most by constitutional amendment, which is 80 percent of the nation. Moreover, American voters have banned gay marriage every time they have had the chance to vote on it. So, Indiana is not some unusual place that is more antigay than the rest of the country. In fact, it banned gay marriage much later than most of the nation. It is smackdab in the mainstream on this issue.

16. SONNIE says

I believe that Indiana is the worst State in the Union, and I am ashamed to live in this pit of bigotry, ignorance and foolishness, but moving is not an option.

17. Rann says

Not surprising at all. I have written a letter to the editor of the Star and sent an email to the governor for his view. He may run for president and has said social issues should be put on the back burner for now but look what Mitch Daniels party is doing!

18. Ted says

So I guess in Indiana, once this all passes, you will have to have your chromosomes checked to makes sure you are male or female. What happens if you are a male or female and have both sets of chromosomes which effectively makes you neither male or female?

19. Ken says

I guess I’m more optimistic than most of you, but this is not over yet. It needs to pass the legislature again again in 2013 and it’s possible the Democrats could regain control of the House and block it. And then there is the public vote in 2014. Public opinion has been steadily moving in our favor, by 2014 it’s possible we could win this vote, even in Indiana. Also let’s remember that amendments that ban both civil unions and marriage have historically passed by narrower margins, so I beleive there is still a good chance we can stop this.