Advertising | Discrimination | Kentucky | News | Tennessee

Overwhelming Majority of Kentuckians Favor Workplace Discrimination Protections for LGBT People

Kentucky

The Courier-Journal reports on a new survey showing growing support for anti-discrimination laws that protect LGBT people:

More than 83 percent of Kentuckians believe that gay and transgender people should be protected from discrimination in the workplace, in housing and public accommodations such as restaurants, according to a new statewide survey released Monday.

The survey of 600 registered voters was commissioned by the Fairness Coalition, an organization of five groups including the ACLU, The Fairness Campaign and the Kentucky Commission on Human Rights. The protection from discrimination finding marked an increase from 2004, when 65 percent said they supported such protections.

Coalition leaders said they hoped the results would prod state lawmakers to approve — or at least debate — two General Assembly bills that would add legal protections for gay and transgender people by amending the state’s civil rights laws.

The Fairness Coalition, which commissioned the study, is set to launch a public education advertising campaign, and a lobby day on February 23 at the state capitol.

Read the survey here (PDF).

In related new, proposed legislation in Tennessee would prohibit local municipalities from enacting their own non-discrimination statues and would force them to rely on state law:

Conservative state Rep. Glen Casada kept his promise and filed a bill Monday that would bar local governments from enacting their own nondiscrimination policies. Instead, Tennessee's municipalities would have to rely on state policy, which mirrors the federal Civil Rights Act and does not include protections on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.

Comments

1. What the hay? There's gotta be some mistake...the 'progressives' all say Kentucky is filled with racist, bigot, redneck white trash who hang homos from their Christian Christmas trees.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 8, 2011 12:34:45 PM

2. That 83% seems a little high. I'm not against this measure, but I would like to see some non-biased survey that would have more power in convincing legislators than from one whose name suggests bias from the getgo.

Posted by: Alan E. | Feb 8, 2011 12:35:00 PM

3. Ratbastard : And the Towleroadies call them a bunch of hateful inbred hicks. Then they turned on me when I said the Lexington equestrian community was pretty classy. (That was in between them calling for those girls, falsely-accused of trying to kill a lesbian, to have their vaginas cut with razor blades, and Manhattan gays giving out their Myspace pages so we could email and tell them that. Grown men in Manhattan doing that to innocent teenaged girls. uh huh). Don't forget, they HAVE to believe Kentucky is bad so they can feel better about themselves. It's necessary. It's decided. Reports like this just "...does...not...compute..."

Posted by: JT | Feb 8, 2011 12:44:38 PM

4. i'm a Louisville resident... not sure what to think about these numbers. they seem pretty high, but it could be true.

Posted by: Trey | Feb 8, 2011 12:54:28 PM

5. I don't think the numbers seem high. Lexington, Louisville, and Northern Kentucky are all pretty open-minded.

Posted by: Meijay | Feb 8, 2011 1:17:26 PM

6. Ahhhhh . . . . Tennessee . . . the same state that encourages you to take a gun to church, and then allowed firearms in bars. I mean what could happen when you mix alcohol and a handgun?

Posted by: Continuum | Feb 8, 2011 1:20:56 PM

7. I've live in Kentucky (near the Tennessee border) and visited there recently.

Racism (in the form of Confederate flags) is widely accepted, and gay people are considered to be wayward scum.

Sorry, but I don't believe these figures (outside of Louisville)---and I know for certain that neither state will ever become advocates for fair treatment of gay people. There's just too much hatred and prejudice there....

Posted by: TonyJ | Feb 8, 2011 1:25:01 PM

8. hmmmmm

600 people is not a large sample and where did they poll? in a city

yeah good news for city living kentuckians but i don't think this poll is an accurate portrayal of the entire red-neck hick state

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Feb 8, 2011 1:52:01 PM

9. If these figures are accurate and the poll was conducted in a scientific manner to represent all of Kentucky (which I highly doubt), then why are these opinions not represented in the laws of the state?

Posted by: NY2.0 | Feb 8, 2011 2:11:21 PM

10. Last time I visited relatives in Kentucky (about 2 years ago), I experienced more outright homophobia in that short five day trip than I had over the prior ten years in practically every other place I'd been. I got a flavor for what I was in for on the first day, when I was introduced to my aunt's husband's (I refuse to call him my uncle) mother. She asked me, "Where's your wife?" I said I wasn't married. She said, "Where's your girl?" I said I didn't have a girl. So she turned to my aunt's husband and said, "Is he a fag?" To which, he apologetically answered, "He's gay." He then took me aside and pleaded with me to forgive her, saying she was old and set in her ways, but I experienced a whole lot more of that type of crap over the next several days. I swore to them then that I would never return.

So these numbers seem pretty unbelievable to me.

In Kentucky's favor, I did meet a lot of lovely people too. But the freedom with which far too many others feel free to express their open racism, homophia, etc is just inexcusable.

Posted by: MrRoboto | Feb 8, 2011 3:00:19 PM

11. Ratbastard : You see ? Gay robots making up stories to reassure themselves of their own worldview. Even when they speak of mutilating heterosexuals- that's okay. It's all gay-gay!

Posted by: JT | Feb 8, 2011 3:58:11 PM

12. Ratbastard : Besides, could you imagine any of these suburban-moved-to-NYC-so-now-I-think-I'm-sophisticated Towleroad gays trying to fit in with the Lexington crowd? The only 20th Century gays who don't scream and run when they see a horse are Tab Hunter and Robert Dover.

Posted by: JT | Feb 8, 2011 4:08:21 PM

13. Wow, JT, you sure are clever. Well, maybe for a hick. Seriously, I would love to see your evidence backing up the claims of these people lying, or that they are even "suburban-moved-to-NYC-blah-blah-blah" gays.

Of course, you have none, merely your standard talking out the ass routine you enjoy displaying. But please, keep on proving yourself to be a hypocrite.

Posted by: LiamB | Feb 8, 2011 4:15:29 PM

14. And you're a sicko for criticizing me and not saying one word about gays calling for mutilation. Shows gay standards. As well as having the mick name and coming to Irish-hating Towleroad.

Posted by: JT | Feb 8, 2011 4:26:37 PM

15. JT, let me know if you can find a flea market in Kentucky where they are not selling offensive Confederate flag shirts, and then you might have some credence to your silly statements.... I couldn't believe that these shirts were publicly promoted as something to be admired and purchased.

...and I have no fear of horses....

Posted by: TonyJ | Feb 8, 2011 5:17:30 PM

16. JT, let's maybe take it down a notch. It's hard to take your complaints about namecalling seriously when you do it yourself.

Anyway, this could be great news. There's always some skepticism with a poll done by a party that has an interest in the outcome. There are going to be some lawmakers who use exactly that as a reason to reject this. Like Alan said, a non-biased poll would preclude that.

Note: reasoned skepticism is different from outright disbelief.

Posted by: rafi | Feb 8, 2011 5:24:05 PM

17. Any fair-minded person should oppose discrimination in housing and the workplace. The percentage seems high, but even religious bigots are more apt to support equality that doesn't involve gay coupling.

As for the TN lawmaker: Typical. Another so-called small-government conservative (white) Republican who wants to employ big-government tactics to infringe on a local community's right to view its citizens as equal. I suspect the Republican-majority lawmakers in KY will be equally willing to use their state government to squash any gay civil rights progress.

Posted by: Ernie | Feb 8, 2011 7:52:08 PM