BREAKING: Indiana Senate Votes 40-10 to Ban Same Sex Marriage and Civil Unions

The Indiana Senate has voted 40-10 to approve an amendment that would ban same-sex marriage in the state. The bill's language, which says "a legal status identical or substantially similar to that of marriage for unmarried individuals shall not be valid or recognized," means that civil unions would not be recognized either.

The Indianapolis Star reports: Indiana

If the General Assembly passes the measure again in 2013 or 2014, it would go to the voters in 2014, before the state constitution can be amended.

***

Democratic Sen. Tim Lanane of Anderson argued that attitudes toward same-sex marriages are rapidly changing and the amendment would make it difficult for future changes in state law.

The public gallery was closed for the vote following a protest by marriage equality supporters that disrupted debate yesterday.

The Indiana House approved the measure in February on a 70-26 vote.

Comments

1. mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com says

the numbers are slightly misleading in that a majority of dem legislatures in Indiana are in fact not in indiana and haven’t been for over 30 days now

They did like the WI 14 and fled to illinois in protest of the entire repub agenda which includes an anti-union bill

———————

oh and waiting on goproud to tell us how much repubs love us and the tea party is only focused on economic issues in 3…2….1

2. SteveC says

The ONLY way that the LGBT community is going to achieve marriage equality is through a Supreme Court ruling. That will probably be in about 20 years (at least).

3. Brad says

I don’t know or care where ya’ all are from, but us gays in the Midwest have a hell of a time distancing ourselves from the Freak Shows on the Coasts.

4. Patric says

I suppose that the best way to stop this anti-gay amendment from advancing any further is for Indiana voters to return control of at least one chamber of the state legislature to Dems in 2012, thereby precluding the second passage by the legislature required before this is sent to voters. I note that Dem legislators had effectively killed this for years before the 2010 midterm election handed complete control of the state legislature to Republicans (same story in North Carolina).

SteveC, I disagree with you that eqality will only be achieved through a Supreme Court pronouncement. While that may be true for gay and lesbian residents of states like Mississippi and Texas and Georgia and South Carolina and while our experiences in places like Maryland and California and Maine are surely discouraging, momentum is on our side. If progressives get out and vote in 2012, there is no reason why marriage equality can’t be a fact within the next few years in places like Washington, Minnesota, Oregon, New York, Hawaii and, yes, even Maryland. And don’t count out Rhode Island this year.

5. says

As a proud Hoosier alumni I know people from all corners of the state and not only are they pro-marriage, they would fiercely fight for it.

Before they knew me, they probably wouldn’t have, though.

Gays get the fact that we should be able to marry, but people who don’t know or have much interaction with gay people don’t see it as an issure pertinent to them, and going with the status quo.

If you want things to change you have to reach out and cross the middle line. Gain some allies, and maybe they’ll fight for you.

No one goes to bat for something that doesn’t matter to them.

6. says

I was born and raised in Indianapolis, IN.

I was so afraid of “coming out” to my family and friends because I knew (or in my mind thought) they would all hate me, so I moved to Houston Texas in January 1980.

I actually made that decision at 24 years old while talking to some guy on the suicide hotline. Which was the first time I had actually said (out loud to even myself) that I was gay.

It was probably the wrong move, because after I became adjusted and accepting of myself here in Texas I told my family and they have all been OK with it. I visit from time to time, but I’m basically estranged from my family, which is a shame.

The good news is, I have been in a committed gay relationship for 19 years now and live out and proud in Houston. I work for a gay company and have a gay website that I keep updated the best I can.

So, really, no regrets . . . but I would not suggest to anyone that they should move away from their family.

7. ricky says

Posted by: Brad | Mar 29, 2011 3:52:15 PM

So the ignorance and hate in your states is the fault of gays and lesbians on the two coasts?

Uh, no, it is not our fault – those voters who will vote for legislatures that will prevent you from having fundamental rights are not voting based on gays and lesbians on the two coasts – they know for a fact they will never come in contact with us – we have no desire – ever — to be anywhere they are – and they would not get into our homes except maybe to do the floors.

No, those voters are voting for hate based on you – you they know – you they will come in contact with — so yes, you – take a bow.

Is it any wonder those in the Midwest dare — based on their sorry unaccomplished meaningless lives – to judge others – since — evidently — even gays and lesbians like you feel they have the right to judge the lives of other gay and lesbian taxpayers and citizens.

I would rather never be able to marry than ever – and I mean ever – lead a life that would be acceptable to anyone in the Midwest.

8. Kevin B says

I left Indiana for California a long time ago. I had a mixed feeling about Indiana when I left because I never felt hate because I was gay, just distance. I guess things have changed and I couldn’t imagine going back to a place that endorses hatred and 2nd class citizenry. Umm, Brad… I consider someone that votes against their own best interests to be a bigger freak than anyone we have out here. We fight loudly for our rights so that some day that right will be available back in fly over country. How much have you done to progress the rights of gays and lesbians back in Indiana? Or do you hide in the shadows and belittle others? So glad I left… so very glad I left.

9. simon says

Even Republicans have a 37-13 majority now in the state senate, Obama can still carry Indiana in the next election like in 2008. That’s why he is so hesitant about this marriage equality thing.

10. I'm Layla Miller I Know Stuff says

The letter of the law versus the spirit of the law

The letter of the law versus the spirit of the law is an idiomatic antithesis. When one obeys the letter of the law but not the spirit, one is obeying the literal interpretation of the words (the “letter”) of the law, but not the intent of those who wrote the law. Conversely, when one obeys the spirit of the law but not the letter, one is doing what the authors of the law intended, though not adhering to the literal wording.

“Law” originally referred to legislative statute, but in the idiom may refer to any kind of rule. Intentionally following the letter of the law but not the spirit may be accomplished through exploiting technicalities, loopholes, and ambiguous language. Following the letter of the law but not the spirit is also a tactic used by oppressive governments.

11. I'm Layla Miller I Know Stuff says

Anti-Gay Vipers and the Outsider Archetype

People who identify with the LGBT community live in the shadow of the outsider archetype, whether they are or not aware of it. Even in communities where their survival is not immediately threatened from the outside.

However, the possibility of a life-threatening change remains ever-present:

·The treacherous activities of the religious right.

·Political censors.

·Gay basher who are penetrating the heart of metropolitan gay communities.

·Medical professions, which continue to foist drugs known to be toxic such as AZT and DDI to HIV positive people.

·Cure-happy psychologist.

12. Shawn says

To Brad who suggests that there are freak shows on the two coasts…well my friend, where do you think all these people came from? The midwest! Your so-called freak shows are good people who fled the midwest to try and live a free and open life. I’m a little over the East/West coast bashing. The West coast and East coast are populated by those who have migrated from less tolerable areas…myself included. So…keep your midwest superiority complex to yourself…we’re not interested

13. Esurb says

Indiana’s Dictrict 60 is one of two that includes parts of Bloomington’s sprawling IU campus, where Kinsey rocked the world with his book on male sexuality in 1948. Moralistic critics were boldly silenced then by a courageous administrator who established the University’s integrity as a major site of research.
    Today the district is represented in the state legislature by Peggy Welch–a nurse, former Miss Georgia, and wife of a judge–who runs unopposed as a “Democrat.” She voted for the amending process just as years before she enthusiastically supported the law it would constitutionally cement.
    You think times have changed? They have regressed dramatically in this part of Indiana, once a liberal exception to much of the state. And local Democrats, including relatively powerful gay politicians, endorse Welch’s moral arrogance with their silence!

14. jamal says

I wonder if amendments such as these affect what were once known as “common law” marriages? Sigh. Another example of christo-fascism. When do we fight back?