Barack Obama | Donald Trump | News

Trump Offers Website Bogus Birth Certificate to Prove Point About How Easy it is to Produce

Trump_certificate

Donald Trump, who appears to be attempting a run for President on the Birther platform, offered his birth certificate to right-wing website Newsmax in order to prove a point about how easy it is to produce one.

Except, it isn't one, the Smoking Gun notes:

“It’s inconceivable that, after four years of questioning, the president still hasn’t produced his birth certificate,” Trump told Newsmax. “I’m just asking President Obama to show the public his birth certificate. Why’s he making an issue out of this?" To prove how easy it was for a household employee to find his birth certificate, Trump, 64, crowed, “It took me one hour to get my birth certificate.”

As seen above, he provided the conservative web site with what he purports to be his birth certificate.

Except the document is not an official New York City birth certificate, but rather a document generated by Jamaica Hospital, where Trump’s mother Mary reportedly gave birth in June 1946. Official birth certificates are issued (and maintained) by the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene’s Office of Vital Records.

What's Donald Trump trying to hide?

Previously...
Watch: Donald Trump Explains Why He's a Birther in Feverish Rant on 'Fox and Friends' [tr]

Comments

1. He was born in Jamaica? I think he is not qualified to run for president. What are his true motivations, does he worship Jah? Does he want Kingston to be the seat of government for the US?

Posted by: Bubba | Mar 28, 2011 6:56:49 PM

2. Trump is actually an alien from the planet Zorloff, and he's here to take over the planet! Round up the angry mob, we've got some harassin' to do!

Posted by: Ty | Mar 28, 2011 7:10:14 PM

3. i always thought he was trying to hide the top of his head, actually.

as far as birtherism goes, however, even if president obama produced the long form, the birthers would still deny it was real. because of this, there is really no incentive for him to produce it.

Posted by: alguien | Mar 28, 2011 7:16:15 PM

4. I have one of those, with the little footprints on it, and everything. When I took it with me to get my learner's permit, the clerk flung it back to me with a sneer.

"That's not a birth certificate. That's a souvenir."

Posted by: Soren456 | Mar 28, 2011 7:35:30 PM

5. It is really funny that so many of these birthers are the same ones who wanted to amend the Constitution so that Schwarzenegger could run for President.

Let's hope that Trump stays in the race a long time. It forces the legitimate candidates to focus on these ridiculous issues and harms their overall credibility.

Posted by: Chadd | Mar 28, 2011 7:47:41 PM

6. The whole "birther" movement seems to be built on absolutely nothing else other than the ad hominem, "attacking the man" fallacy.

Which, last I checked, is a fallacy. *sigh*

Posted by: Austin | Mar 28, 2011 7:56:50 PM

7. At first glance the date looks like "1966" and I was shocked that Sir Donald was trying to say he was younger than me. OMG maybe he IS an alien!

Posted by: scooter | Mar 28, 2011 8:12:37 PM

8. You'd really think or hope that he'd have a stronger issue to run on. Like, say, the economy. But no. Paranoia, racism, and BS. I'd expect little more, yet somehow it's still disheartening.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 28, 2011 8:53:46 PM

9. "Jamaica-born Donald Trump"...

Posted by: Hue-Man | Mar 28, 2011 9:19:16 PM

10. Anyone can reproduce a birth certificate. Which means that whether or not Obama was born here, he could easily fake it anyway.

Birthers are stupid.

Posted by: Nanny McBone | Mar 28, 2011 10:15:07 PM

11. I was born in NY. I used the form I got from the hospital for years as my birth certificate - well, not for years; once I got my SS card and DL, these were most important. When I moved to CA, I got the equivalent of "that's a souvenir" comment when I applied for a DL and college. Had to pay for the official, notarized NY form (just like the official form in Hawaii). But if you are a birther who never traveled farther than the next sad berg from your trailer park, you'd never have the experience. As for Trump, I'd say the term "craven" fits just fine.

Posted by: TJ | Mar 28, 2011 11:40:32 PM

12. Yes, and I've made bogus diplomas for a former vice president at work, too. Signed by really well-done signatures that are exact copies of the real thing - only the people died a hundred years ago. So? Photoshop and Illustrator do amazing things. I've done them.

What is not easy to fake are official records with the state of Hawaii. You know, that island out there in the Pacific that conservatives don't seem to think actually is part of the U.S.

What on earth is it with these people?

Posted by: Craig | Mar 28, 2011 11:52:23 PM

13. Actually, I believe it may be a crime to create a false birth certificate. The City of New York should go after the a$$ whole

Posted by: Fred | Mar 28, 2011 11:57:35 PM

14. Trump looks like he's at LEAST 62, surely he's lying about his age.

Posted by: Red | Mar 29, 2011 12:45:40 AM

15. Where's Keith Olbermann when you need him?

Posted by: Rad | Mar 29, 2011 7:13:33 AM

16. This issue HAS been settled... the state of Hawaii HAS released Obama's birth certificate. It has been verified by the non-partisan FactCheck.org, among others. But, because the birthers continue to say there is no birth-certificate anyway, right-wing nuts keep believing the lies... and continue to spread them.

Posted by: John | Mar 29, 2011 8:37:41 AM

17. donald chump is a moron, albeit a wealthy one, no class at all!!

Posted by: bill miller | Mar 29, 2011 9:40:31 AM

18. Trump is one of the most despised people in the US, funny he does not know this. I hope he does run for Pres., maybe then reality will smack him in his very unattractive face.

Posted by: contragenic | Mar 29, 2011 10:12:26 AM

19. Sorry Libs, hate to disappoint you. But I was born in the Bronx and that is an exact original of a Birth Certificate issued from the state New York. Nice try deflecting from the issue that we still haven't seen Obama's real Birth certificate. BTW, Jamaica is part of Queens, NY.

Posted by: Mike L | Mar 29, 2011 10:22:58 AM

20. I would have thought you people would have been familiar with "Queens."

Posted by: Mike L | Mar 29, 2011 10:25:15 AM

21. Oh Mike L,

We can't let you have the last word. The "exact original" certificate of birth above is from a Hospital, not the State of New York; therefore it is not the official state record. The certificate above does not even have the words "New York" on it which is why some people who do not live in NY might be confused by it.

And you really have to have been living under a rock somewhere in the Bronx to not know that Obama HAS released a certified copy of his birth certificate to FactCheck.org (certified copies issued by the states are official, legal documents), the State of Hawaii has confirmed the records, there were birth notices posted in two Hawaiian newspapers when he was born and all of the facts and verified information concur that Mr Obama was born in the US. Each of the dozens of times this has come up in court, the issue is thrown out for lack of evidence and in the US, a person is innocent until proven guilty. There is not one shred of evidence to indicate anything other than Mr Obama is, and always has been, an American.

The issue of Mr Obama's citizenship has long been put to bed and there are far more pressing issues with which we can fill our time. However, I think that this birther thing is just the GOP and Tea Party trying to "deflect from the issue" that they have no real plans for anything and the economy is a mess because George W Bush left it that way (I seem to recall it was pretty good when he came to office).

Posted by: Chadd | Mar 29, 2011 1:32:19 PM

22. What does his still alive white grand father think of all this? Guess he doesn't want to drag his family into this.

Posted by: Rowan | Mar 29, 2011 2:02:35 PM

23. The entire birther issue is driven not by Obama's place of birth but by his race. They simply can't stomach a black man in the White House. This issue allows the Repubs to be racist without appearing racist.

Posted by: plaintom | Mar 29, 2011 4:07:05 PM

24. This is the frustrating thing about this ridiculous birthed issue. People just don't get what a real birth certificate is. A "real" birth certificate is one issued by the state, such as what President Obama has released and Snoops has authenticated as though it were necessary to do that. What idiot Trump provided is he serious? Is a souvenir given by the hospital, which is not a legal document? Trump -- you're fired. And we haven't even come close to hiring you.

Posted by: Atlanta Roofing | Mar 29, 2011 11:43:28 PM

25. Obama has NOT released the long form of his Birth Certificate. He has not released his school records either.If he has nothing to hide,then why won't he released the long form of his Birth Certificate and his school records?

Posted by: Jane | Mar 30, 2011 10:24:11 PM