Former Staffer Files Anti-Gay Sexual Harassment Complaint Against Jesse Jackson and Rainbow PUSH Coalition

A former staffer for Rev. Jesse Jackson's Rainbow Coalition has sued Rev. Jesse Jackson, claiming a broad array of anti-gay harassment charges, the Windy City Times reports:

Bennett In a document filled with stunning allegations, Tommy R. Bennett has filed a complaint with the City of Chicago Commission on Human Relations against the Rev. Jesse Jackson, Sr., and the minister's Chicago-based organization, the Rainbow PUSH Coalition, claiming, among other things, harassment and termination on the basis of Bennett's sexual orientation.

The charges against Jackson are graphic, to say the least:

Things allegedly took a more disturbing turn after Bennett also took over the duties of Jackson's travel assistant where Bennett says he was required to perform "humiliating" tasks. According to the complaint, in May 2008 Bennett was not allowed to accompany Jackson to Tanzania because Jackson was allegedly unhappy with the ways Bennett packed his items.

Bennett also claims that he had to escort women to Jackson's room and "clean up his room after sexual intercourse with women. Mr. Bennett believes he was forced to do these tasks due to his sexual orientation," adding that he had to escort women to such places as the Sheraton Hotel in New York and the Wynn Hotel and Resort in Las Vegas. Bennett claims that he let Jackson know that he "was uncomfortable cleaning up his hotel rooms, escorting women to his hotel room, being summoned to his hotel room after hours or packing his clothes."

Other charges included having to apply cream to Jackson's legs for a rash, a task which Bennett refused, and suggestions intimating Jackson wanted sexual favors:

"Rev. Jackson stated that he played football and there was a gay high school teacher who took Rev. Jackson under his wings and told him that he needed education to go along with football. Rev. Jackson said, '[F]rom that gay teacher, I got a good grade, I got to use his car, I got ten dollars and I got my dick sucked.' Rev. Jackson said, '[T]hat's not gay, that is surviving.'" Bennett alleges this meant Rev. Jackson wanted sex, but that Bennett then left the room.

Bennett's demands?

In a demand letter accompanying the complaint, Bennett said he wanted, among other things, $98,300 for back pay, front pay and loss of benefits; $350,000 for emotional distress and punitive damages; and an amendment of Rainbow PUSH's non-discrimination policy to include sexual orientation and gender identity.

Much more at the Windy City Times

Comments

1. milpert says

Oh my, such shocking allegations. He had to apply cream to his leg, and they didn’t like the way he packed clothing. As for the story, whether true or not, it hardly would be grounds to claim sexual harassment.

2. Trev says

It’s about time someone brought down this race baiting pig! Get ready for a smear campaign against Bennett by the leftard’s. How dare Bennett expose the lying hypocrite Jackson. He will be discredited and smeared by the gay community and the left press. I feel sorry for the guy. I hope he wins though, just to see Jackson get his comeuppance!

3. redball says

and the racist trolls have begun! right on cue.

arthur, you are clearly a nobel-prize winning scientist. thank you for fallaciously extrapolating the misfortunes of a single human being (yourself) into a national phenomenon. LOL! byebye

4. Francis says

Things have gotten so real. SO real.

Honestly, I believe him. Why would he publicly release this information if it isn’t true? This is something I want to see play out further before fully judging. Of course, I do not want to joke too much about this serious situation of potential homophobic bias.

5. deanybeany says

Yeaaa, I don’t really believe this. It seems to be coming across as he’s angry he got fired, so he’s making up stories and trying to get $$$

6. says

As a highly respected and trusted world leader, Reverend Jackson has acted many times as an international diplomat in sensitive situations. For example, in 1984 Reverend Jackson secured the release of captured Navy Lieutenant Robert Goodman from Syria, and the release of 48 Cuban and Cuban-American prisoners in Cuba.

7. Chitown Kev says

@Chrisdachocolatebearcub

OK, now when you see that I couldn’t say a word, you KNOW this story is just too many things for me…in fact, it’s a bit much.

8. Anon says

Maybe this is true. Maybe it isn’t. Maybe part of it is true (he probably didn’t pack suitcases well, which is not a violation of the law)

What is true is that across the country, tens of thousands of charges are filed with the EEOC or various similar state or city agencies. Also true is that the vast majority of these complaints are not true or vastly exaggerated. Of course, some of these complaints are true.

Just because someone says something, doesnt make it true, especially when the person making the complaint stands to pursue tens of thousands of dollars or even millions.

FYI- the false accuser in the Duke Lacrosse case allegedly stabbed her boyfriend who just died.

Just remember “innocent until proven guilty,” no matter who is accused. Whether a liberal lion is accused or three perceived privileged college athletes. Accusers do have motivations to lie. Doesn’t mean they are lying, but doesn’t mean anyone should rush to judgment. See also they gay college student who just branded himself but called it an anti-gay attack …

9. Tone says

I’m not about to pass judgment on anyone based on one disgruntled staffer’s allegations. Nevertheless Jackson is a christer and I wouldn’t put anything past one of them.

10. Derrick from Philly says

At some point someone will force us to look at the seriousness of these charges, but right now I can’t stop laughing.

Oh, my….having to clean up after straight folks private business in a hotel room…having to rub Reverend Jackson’s legs with cream. Mister Bennett could’ve have nicknamed himself, “Kizzie”.

Before the anti-Jackson statements come in, remember: Jackson was POLITICALLY AWARE of the power of Gay people within the Democratic Party going back to 1984. He was the first major national Democratic Party figure (that I can remember) who came out for Gay civil rights back in the mid-eighties. What he felt about Gay folks privately? I don’t give a damn. It’s what he said publically that matters.

Now, let the anti-Jackson feeding frenzy begin.

11. Chitown Kev says

@Chrischocolatebearcub

Yes gurl, let’s DO get the real tea. This will be so juicy, I am sure, that I’m breaking out with the FINE imported china tea set, so you betta not disappoint, lol.

12. Derrick from Philly says

“…just to see Jackson get his comeuppance.”

Yes, indeed, Colonel TREV, we’ll have to see to that or else they’ll be an uprisin’ on the whole plantation.

Now, that’s a enough toddy for you, Aunt Pittypat.

13. Hollywood, CA says

“[F]rom that gay teacher, I got a good grade, I got to use his car, I got ten dollars and I got my dick sucked.'” – What type of High School Filthing?

14. Rob says

It is well known that Jackson frequents one of Chicago’s “straight” bathhouses, if one believes they truly are. Jon Kass has written about his discomfort trying to interview Jackson with a towel around his waist.

I’ve been to that bathhouse and let me just say it didn’t seem very straight to me. Loaded with homoerotic tension and was very easy for me to find a dalliance.