Bob McDonnell | Gay Adoption | News | Virginia

BigGayDeal.com

VA Gov. Bob McDonnell: I Don't Want Gay Couples Adopting Children

This morning I mentioned that Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell was coming up on a deadline for a proposal to allow gays to adopt in the state of Virginia. Today O'Donnell made his opposition to the measure clear, the Washington Post reports:

Mcdonnell “I know I had said during the campaign that I would essentially keep our adoption laws -- which I think are good -- the way they are now,’’ McDonnell said. “I think the current regulations that are in place seem to be working well.”

***

The proposal, according to the governor’s office, would mandate that gay singles and unmarried couples be able to access faith-based groups, such as Catholic Charities and Jewish Family Services, to adopt children.

“I don’t think we ought to force Catholic Charities to make that part of their policy or other similar situated groups,’’ McDonnell said. “Many of our adoption agencies are faith-based groups that ought to be able to establish what their own policies are. Current regulations that say you can’t discriminate on the basis of race, color or national origin I think are proper. I think previous efforts to expand that to a number of other classes are going to have very strict scrutiny to make sure that we don’t inhibit the very fine work some faith-based organizations are doing.”

Anti-gay Delegate Bob Marshall has been lobbying McDonnell to recommend that the State Board of Social Services kill the proposal, which prompted Equality Virginia to counter with an email blast:

“A massive email campaign by organizations that have opposed every regulatory and legislative effort to afford gay, lesbian, bi-sexual and transgender Virginians the basic human right to live, work and raise their children in the Commonwealth free from discrimination resulted in a flurry of comments...opposing the non-discrimination provision included in the proposed rules,’’ the group wrote in its email.

Currently, married couples, and single men and women regardless of sexual orientation can adopt.

You may recall that early last year following outrage over Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli's advice that public universities should rescind their bylaws protecting gays and lesbians from discrimination, Governor Bob McDonnell issued an unenforceable "directive" saying the state should not discriminate based on sexual orientation.

McDonnell previously signed an executive order which explicitly removed language protecting gays and lesbians from discrimination from the state's anti-bias laws.

Comments

1. I wish breeders worked as hard at not making unwanted children in the first place as they did at making sure queers didn't raise them.

Posted by: Japhet | Apr 5, 2011 3:14:53 PM

2. Jack, you need any more confirmation that McDonnell is an anti-gay hack?

Posted by: sugarrhill | Apr 5, 2011 3:15:17 PM

3. Virginia is for Haters! Don’t spend your money in that bastion of intolerance.

Posted by: VAis4rednecks | Apr 5, 2011 3:49:03 PM

4. Virginia Is For Lovers Of H8. Which is why I don't effin' live there.

Posted by: Beau | Apr 5, 2011 4:06:18 PM

5. Virginia and all of the south has not or never will be a vacation destination-ever!

Posted by: nick | Apr 5, 2011 4:16:53 PM

6. repubs love us

that is what gay repubs have been trying to tell us for so long

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Apr 5, 2011 4:21:08 PM

7. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. I happen to have been born and raised in this "bastion of intolerance", and while I wouldn't call it as progressive as NY or CA, VA isn't as terrible as our idiot governor makes it seem.

If we didn't have a 1 term 4-year limit on the governorship I'm pretty sure Mark Warner and Tim Kaine (both democrats and both very well liked in this state) would've had two terms here. And we wouldn't be dealing with Bob McDonnell's bullshit now.

And as far as "all of the south" goes...if you've never been to Atlanta...well you're missing out. I don't know if any straights actually live there. Seems gayer than SF :)

Posted by: harry | Apr 5, 2011 5:08:28 PM

8. Neither in this post nor in the Washington Post article I could find why the proposal had to impose new rules on faith-based adoption agencies. Aren't there secular adoption agencies in Virginia? Can they accommodate gay singles and couples?

Posted by: AG | Apr 5, 2011 6:11:34 PM

9. Let's all remember that, despite a very troubling history which included a homophobic, misogynistic college thesis, McDonnell was enthusiastically endorsed by Log Cabin Republicans in 2009. Sort of like Linda Lingle. And Chris Christie. And Sarah Palin. And all those other Republican "moderates".

Posted by: Patric | Apr 5, 2011 11:07:44 PM

10. I can't believe this guy - this is awful.

gaymanstraightworld.com

Posted by: Derick | Apr 6, 2011 6:21:18 PM

11. I am done giving any Republican a free pass on ANYTHING... especially gay Republicans. They can hate on me all they like for saying so, but they are just a bunch of cowed self-hating morons if they, as gay people, still support the GOP!

Posted by: CKNJ | Apr 6, 2011 7:03:05 PM