Virginia AG Ken Cuccinelli Cuts State’s Ties with ‘King & Spalding’ for ‘Obsequious Act of Weakness’ in DOMA Case

Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli is not happy that King & Spalding chose against LGBT discrimination.

The Washington Examiner reports: Ken_cuccinelli

Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli has terminated his office's relationship with King & Spalding, the Atlanta law firm that abrubtly dropped the U.S. House of Representatives as a client for purposes of defending the Defense of Marriage Act.

"King & Spalding's willingness to drop a client, the U.S. House of Representatives, in connection with the lawsuit challenging the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) was such an obsequious act of weakness that I feel compelled to end your legal association with Virginia so that there is no chance that one of my legal clients will be put in the embarrassing and difficult situation like the client you walked away from, the House of Representatives," Cuccinelli said in a letter to Joseph Lynch in the firm's Washington, D.C. office.

You may recall that Cuccinelli came under fire last year for advising public universities that they should rescind their bylaws protecting gays and lesbians from discrimination and later saying that homosexual acts are a detriment to our culture.

Recently…
The Curious Case of Paul Clement [tr]

Comments

1. Adam says

This guy’s shamelessness in self-promotion is amazing. Way to latch on to any redmeat mouthbreather issue to try to spin it as some kind of brave stand, Cooch.

2. Jonathan says

The fun thing about this is that his move validates the HRC’s. If he gets to apply pressure to an organization for political purposes, so do we.

3. Rowan says

Jonathan, I doubt HRC are that smart to point this out. They never do.

As if KS didnt know this would happen.

Please coca cola is a much bigger and profitable client to lose!

4. Rin says

Our current state leadership makes me want to leave the state sometimes. Republicans in VA are worse than Republicans anywhere else because they are all either well-educated or well-connected. Basically, dangerous.

However, every once in a while we get a Tim Kaine or Mark Warner… every once in a while.

5. phineas says

What was he doing using an out-of-state law firm in the first place? Aren’t there enough rightwing wh*res in Virginia willing to do his dirty work?

6. Paul R says

I think VA is an evil place, which is why I moved away in 1998. Came back a week and a half ago for a 5-day visit to family. The day I was to leave, got in a car accident that landed me in the hospital for 5 days. The guy who caused the accident drove off.

Next visit? Right around never. I grew up here and I’m ashamed to admit it. Cannot wait to leave tomorrow. I thought it was bad in 1998, but it is 100 times worse today.

7. candideinnc says

I REALLY dislike people saying homophobes are closet cases. I don’t like the idea of people associating gays with the twisted people. Also, I feel there is a really large supply of heteros who are simply homophobes. This guy’s OBSESSION with faggots, though, is really peculiar. He can’t wait from one minute to the next to find some splashy gay-related item he can stick his greasy fingers into. There is something mental about this. I would say either he is sociopathic about gay issues or, God forbid, he is responding to his sexual repression. In either case, he needs institutional help, hopefully for the rest of his already too long pitiful existence.

8. Zlick says

Well, it’s just that, for the most part, straight people just don’t really give a frell about gay or not gay – – and Shakespeare had it right with methinks thou dost protest too much. It’s a tell-tale sign of being concerned to the point of hypocrisy – and has been so for centuries. Who are we to dispute the Bard? So yeah, accusing the ‘phobes of being closet cases is a pot-shot – and it’s also a keen observation of timeless human nature.

9. Rob says

Agree with Craig. My definition of someone with zero same-gender desire is that it’s really not on their radar screen. It’s like zebras mating- it’s just other, and not remarkable in any way. Playback things that Mark Foley, Larry Craig, Ted Haggard and scores of others said (when their mouths weren’t full) and you’ll find they have a very different tone from what known heteros say. One common feature is that they bring up gay topics when they really don’t have to. This guy is being very proactive. Wonder why it’s on his mind….

Tick….tock……tick…..tock….

10. Rob says

….and only when we firmly link wild homophobic gestures like this to repressed same gender desire will these people realize how badly their slip is showing. And they will shut….the f**k….up.

11. St. Theresa of Avila says

I agree. Not every ‘phobe is gay, but a lot of them are. Furthermore, talk about a choice of wording: “obsequious act of weakness”? Gurl iz in a huff! Virginia politics have always had an undercurrent of zany. It still amuses me that right-wing state rep David Albo’s brother is gay performance artist Mike Albo.

12. just_a_guy says

Y’know…K&S going through crap like this builds a brand of CHARACTER for them.

What’s more, I’m skipping my tirade about Virginia here, cuz that’s not fair to them. Apparently who would want to WORK FOR THIS GUY IN GENERAL anyway, huh. He totally disrespected K&S.

OK, so I’m gonna do the Virginia tirade anyway: It seems REMARKABLY like a pre-civil war style move. Which also looks GUILTY.

You did not do good for your REAL upstanding-Virginian constituents, Mr. C. Hope you made that narrow hater-constituency of yours happy tho. Actually, I’m sure you did; sad commentary on politics there and in too many other states. C’mon Americans…guys like Mr. C here claim to represent YOU. Please.