Brendon Ayanbadejo | Gay Marriage | News | Sean Avery | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: ESPN Talks to Ravens Linebacker Brendan Ayanbadejo About Support of Gay Rights from Pro Sports Figures

Ayanbadejo

ESPN's Outside the Lines spoke with Baltimore Ravens linebacker about his support for marriage equality and gay rights in response to this week's Twitter controversy involving equality-supporter NY Rangers forward Sean Avery and anti-gay hockey agency Uptown Sports.

I think you'll agree after watching this that Ayanbadejo, who recorded a video in March in support of a marriage equality in Maryland, is one of our strongest allies in pro sports.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Mr. Ayanbandejo, thank you for supporting our community. You got our backs; we got yours.

Posted by: jamal49 | May 13, 2011 2:25:38 PM

2. beautiful man. thank you for your support, Mr. Ayanbadejo.

Posted by: Jeff | May 13, 2011 2:49:19 PM

3. I wish I could hug this man.

Posted by: RobbyRob | May 13, 2011 2:53:41 PM

4. I would do a hell of a lot more than hug him to show him my personal gratitude!!!

Posted by: Willie Jones | May 13, 2011 4:13:15 PM

5. I don't think my arms are long enough to hug all the around his muscles.

Posted by: Eric26 | May 13, 2011 9:05:38 PM

6. *all the way around

I'm drunk on egalitarian rhetoric, obviously.

Posted by: Eric26 | May 13, 2011 9:07:06 PM

7. Brendan Ayanbadejo's huge muscles are obviously matched by his huge strength of character.
    I'm sure there are hundreds of other pro athletes who think likewise, but it takes one who's confident enough to stand up and say so to set the example that others are sure to follow.
    I'm sure there are unsure gay teens watching this interview who will think: "If I'm honest with my teammates someday, this proves that somebody will accept me." This interview alone may well have prevented a suicide or at least helped a lot of young athletes to believe in their future.
    And there are straight teens struggling with their confidence who will see this as the model for how to stand out from the crowd and be open-minded.
    What a great man!
    What is that city behind him with palm trees and boats?

Posted by: gregv | May 13, 2011 11:15:13 PM

8. The city is Fort Lauderdale, looking at the New River 3rd Ave. bridge!
    And yes, let's hope he is just one of many great sportsman that speak out for human and civil rights!

Posted by: Ted Rowe | May 14, 2011 9:34:54 AM

9. ugh, this guy is amazing. He and Sean Avery are wading into territory that is uncharted and wild. True allies and wonderful people. And really freakin hot.

Posted by: Coffee&Chicory | May 14, 2011 9:47:48 AM

10. I knew him from Santa Cruz. Great guy--goes
    back to his old high school, Santa Cruz High,
    to give motivational presentations. A righteous dude!

Posted by: henry llama | Sep 7, 2012 11:18:10 PM