Georgia

BigGayDeal.com

Georgia State Representative Rashad Taylor: 'I'm Gay'

Tay
Georgia State Representative Rashad Taylor, a Democrat, came out as gay yesterday in response to an email written by the former partner of Taylor's current boyfriend that has been circulating around offices of the state capitol.

Tay1Said Taylor:

"Although this is not the time or the way that I wanted to come out, I feel actually very lucky, thanks to all the support that I've received from those people who are closest to me...As a black man, it can be a struggle to find acceptance within the community and at times with myself as well. But I'm proud of the man my mother has raised, and I make no apologies for who I am. There may be those who want to paint those in political terms. They'll say that this is a political liability to me. To me it's actually a gift form God.Through his grace and examples of thousands of members of the LGBT community who have come out often to great personal and professional risk, I have been blessed. It's your bravery and example that makes it possible for me to publicly and say to you, 'this is who I am and I have nothing to be ashamed of.'"

The email makes note of that fact that Taylor is gay and accuses him of using his position as a lawmaker to trade sex for state funds and other gifts. Taylor has denied the allegations and the man who wrote the email, Jermaine Callahan, admits he does not have proof to back up his claims.

Watch the press conference of his announcement, which took place at the offices of Georgia Equality, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. The allegations certainly seem dubious, and I obviously hope they are and his career isn't damaged. This being Georgia, though, it's very hard to predict the outcome.

Posted by: Paul R | May 28, 2011 6:35:39 AM

2. Those are some serious allegations. Why would someone make them without proof?

Posted by: Jon Lee Hart | May 28, 2011 7:34:37 AM

3. Because mud sticks. 'Hes gay, it must be at least partly true.. plus he is GAY..' End of career.

Posted by: Rovex | May 28, 2011 8:02:07 AM

4. Jon lee hart

Uhm DRAMA! That is why. The current boyfriend of his ex = easy to understand why the allegations are being made = DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA

"....admits he does not have proof to back up his claims...." a stupid drama queen at that. One should have at least the shadow of proof for such things to stick and cause the harm one seeks

Anyway; good for Rashad coming out

Posted by: Mstrozfckslv | May 28, 2011 9:14:14 AM

5. As always, gays are their own worst enemy. Always doing worse things to each other than conservatives would think of.

Posted by: Jerry | May 28, 2011 9:50:25 AM

6. And you're a perfect example of that Jerry.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 28, 2011 9:57:53 AM

7. Best wishes to Rep. Taylor! Wishing you much happiness in your "out" life!

Posted by: james Brown | May 28, 2011 1:21:49 PM

8. The more out lgbt's of color in prominent positions in the red states, the better. Hopefully he'll come out of this mess a stronger person.

Posted by: dh | May 28, 2011 3:08:44 PM

9. BIG AS A HOUSE!

Posted by: Mattsy | May 28, 2011 5:30:46 PM

10. Ridiculous. One man's word against another, and the accuser has already engaged in dubious behavior by circulating the email. Present verifiable evidence or shut up.

And the representative is a 'big' dude. Lay off the southern food for awhile and get on a treadmill.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 28, 2011 9:06:56 PM

11. Spent much time in the South (or much of the Midwest)? If not, just look at the picture. Of the 10 or so people, at least half have, umm, "generously proportioned" bellies.

Posted by: Paul R | May 28, 2011 11:15:55 PM

12. @ MATTSY and RATBASTARD:

It's Pride season coming up (next week in SLC, in fact.) I wonder if gay people could stop being horrible enough for the next couple days so I can actually attend the parade being proud of us.

Posted by: Daniel | May 29, 2011 12:26:02 AM

13. Congrats to Rep. Taylor, may your pastures continue to green.

And I love this: "examples of thousands of members of the LGBT community who have come out often to great personal and professional risk, I have been blessed. It's your bravery and example that makes it possible for me to publicly and say to you, 'this is who I am and I have nothing to be ashamed of."

Posted by: David R. | May 29, 2011 12:40:56 AM