Jason Jones | Minneapolis | News | San Francisco

Watch: 'The Daily Show' Looks at Why Minneapolis Has SF Beat as the Gayest City in America

Jones

Daily Show correspondent Jason Jones looks at why Minneapolis has overtaken San Francisco as the gayest city in America.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Shopping at Target (yes, I know it's the hometown brand)? But did they not get the memo?

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | May 10, 2011 10:03:20 AM

2. Old gays aren't any different than old straights.

Change occurs with or without them. Similarly, a lot of older gays moved out of San Francisco to Palm Springs because it was warmer and cheaper. Much like Florida and Arizona.

They whole gay scene in SF is pretty much played out. Probably for the better in many ways.

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | May 10, 2011 10:14:48 AM

3. Is that the chorus?

Posted by: The Milkman | May 10, 2011 10:15:45 AM

4. Great segment, funny AND revealing about how gay culture has changed. Some can argue that we are losing our "identity" but I never identified with leather and feather boas anyway. My take is the less we seem like the "other" to mainstream society, the easier it will be to advance our civil rights. And I agree with Jason, "what ever happened to just f*#cking a guy"?!

Posted by: RONTEX | May 10, 2011 10:16:48 AM

5. the one thing I really like about the gay community is that we are NOT alike..in so many ways...in almost everyway......this is what we need to project.....LGBT people are as different as snowflakes...the ONLY similarity is that we are Gay...thats it.

Posted by: Disgusted Gay American | May 10, 2011 10:26:49 AM

6. It's amazing that Jason Jones is straight. In 4 minutes, he summed up the seachange in gay identity between the angry, boycott everything, all-gay-all-the-time fossils (Michael Bedwell, hi there!) and the rest of us who actually want to integrate with society.

Posted by: nodnarb | May 10, 2011 10:27:05 AM

7. "integrate with society" = shopping.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 10, 2011 10:42:34 AM

8. I dunno ... how difficult has it been for gay people to "integrate into society" for the past 40 years? Ok, maybe in Minneapolis, that's not quite true. Congrats to them.

Posted by: Zlick | May 10, 2011 10:46:59 AM

9. Dear Nodnarb,
    I'm 20 years old, compared to which you're probably one of those "fossils" you crudely deride. And I don't think people standing up for human rights -- gay and otherwise -- by the occasional boycott automatically makes anybody old-school or new-school. When I see the "new gay" Minneapolis guys in the "Daily Show" segment shopping at Target -- whose executives keep funding anti-gay politicians -- I get angry. Support the people and the corporations who support us!

Posted by: allan | May 10, 2011 10:47:24 AM

10. The reality is that most of the garbage that goes on in SF makes most gays cringe.

I mean really. Do you want to be represented by the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence and some dude who sells gag balls?

It isn't any different than seeing a pierced-up, tattooed-up straight couple with a pitbull and a baby stroller. It's just nasty.

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | May 10, 2011 10:50:46 AM

11. Funny piece; I have to say, though, that I never found over the course of many visits that San Francisco ever really lived up to the hype about it--maybe if I had lived there, I would think differently, but there just never seemed to me to be any more of a gay vibe there than there was in any other big city. And its bars and discos were always quite disappointing to me and seemingly lame compared to those in a lot of other cities.

Posted by: Rick | May 10, 2011 10:57:48 AM

12. LMAO at "occasional boycott." 20-year-olds are so precious.

Posted by: nodnarb | May 10, 2011 10:58:03 AM

13. I just danced with my boyfriend on Saturday at his college's last dance of the year a week before his graduation. We even got to slow-dance to Moonlight Serenade (which might become 'our song') and everyone said we were an adorable couple. I'm from Minneapolis but this took place in a rural Minnesota college town.

We've hopped gay bars too but I have to say: integration is pretty damn nice.

Posted by: Landon | May 10, 2011 11:02:03 AM

14. - Don't know why San Francisco is receiving the amount of hate that I am seeing on this comment board. Particularly, the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence are an extraordinary organization that has done a ton of good, and nothing would make me prouder than to have them represent me.

- With respect to the "angry, boycott everything" vs. "want to integrate with society", if it wasn't for activism, DADT might not have been repealed last December, among so many other things. With all due respect, there's a reason why many more people think of the birth of the LGBT civil rights movement as the Stonewall Riots, not the Homophile Era.

- I do hope that the couple from Minneapolis understands what Target did in contributing to an almost-realized political future that could have threatened their civil rights in Minnesota when they stepped into the Target store.

Posted by: SFNative | May 10, 2011 11:08:00 AM

15. I couldn't live in either SF or Minneapolis so I'm not surprised the gayest cities list is so surprising. We're way past the time we all have to migrate to the same two or three cities in order to have decent lives, and that's a good thing. The old rules just don't apply to the new generation.

But, seriously -- Target? Those guys in Minneapolis need to put down their cute hobbies long enough to learn about the world. There's content and then there's just plain stupid. Here's hoping not all gay people in that city are as clueless.

Posted by: ohplease | May 10, 2011 11:29:46 AM

16. S.F. is a pale reflection of itself at it's heyday. Gentrification and yuppies have ruined it. The world has moved on. Times change. Most people, gay or 'str8' couldn't afford to live in the city. Last time I was there, the amount of homelessness and dirty conditions even in touristy areas was sad. This sadly is repeated to varying degrees in a few other 'hot' cities in America and the world. It's true in my city, Boston. Our gayborhoods have long since stopped being really 'gay'. They're mostly today just gentrified with yuppies, college students, and 'poor' [mostly 'minority'] people living in subsidized housing and housing projects. I personally don't like the often extreme socio-economic contrast or the hypocrisy, or the rampant street crime that's covered up by the city and real estate interests.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 10, 2011 11:41:42 AM

17. We Minneapolitan gays are very subversive.

Posted by: Greg | May 10, 2011 11:54:49 AM

18. You can DEF tell the diff between the old guard and the new ones. It showed that YOU HAVE to be in one of those groups (leather, drag, musicals, etc) to that one San Franciscan, however, the Mpls couple is just like every adorably boring couple (gay and straight) I know here. They don't fit a certain mold. They are who they are. And that's progress!

Posted by: Allen | May 10, 2011 11:58:00 AM

19. It's an interesting piece about contrasting gay "styles." I don't want to live in a gay ghetto or make my life 24/7 GAY! and by that I mean a particular brand of studied flamboyance or sex as self identity. Meeting at the Gay Brunch, followed by the Gay Tea Dance, then a Disco Nap, then dinner at a Gay Cabaret for a Drag Show, then the Gay Bowling League or Choir, then head to a Gay Bar. I don't want my sexual interests and habits to be the center of my life either.

But I also don't want a bland and boring, exclusively domestic life of shopping and "we're just like you!" sameness.

If you think about it, being gay isn't that much to have in common with someone. But while it doesn't have to be the defining thing about you, the end-all and be-all of your personality and life, it IS an important part of one's makeup. At this moment in time oppression is still very much a reality and growing up a somewhat "other" in a majority straight society does lead to different experiences and perceptions. And there's a lot to be said for that slightly skewed "outside looking in" perspective of life. It might be the genesis of "camp" but it's not fully frivolous, it's often a needed perspective from which to view the "mainstream," to question its values and priorities.

It doesn't have to be one or the other and there isn't one "right" way to be gay.

Posted by: Codswallop | May 10, 2011 12:08:49 PM

20. Minneapolis has a tiny gay scene, and the state of Minnesota is becoming one of the most homophobic states in the country. (Crazy Eyes, anyone?)...

SF still has a strong gay community, the Castro is as exciting as ever, and the city is safer than most cities in the country.

It's like comparing pennies to gold.

Posted by: TonyJ | May 10, 2011 12:16:45 PM

21. There's still a gay section in Trenton, NJ.

Posted by: anon | May 10, 2011 12:18:36 PM

22. @ Milkman, Yes it is the San Francisco Gay Men's Chorus! So glad the boys represented last night.

Posted by: Joel V | May 10, 2011 12:40:48 PM

23. I like Minneapolis-gay as portrayed. And SF-gay as portrayed was very NOT impressive. I also agree with Rick that SF's gay club scene is not as impressive as cities a fraction of its size.

I don't think we should dismiss the impact of couples like the one in Minneapolis. But I think effectively comparable couples are in SF and everywhere, too. And such couples ARE the dream for American gays--with equal rights of course, and at least the option for a baby in tow.

The thing about SF that still appeals to me is the perceived percentage of gay couples there. I mean, there's an appeal about it being more of a ubiquitous thing to happen to be gay. And SF seems more in a position to really pull that off. But if I'm right, the Castro itself would also seem to a large degree a historical remnant as the clip playfully suggests. Cuz the center of gay life in SF as I see it wouldn't BE in the Castro, but more dispersed, less a side-show.

Obvi, tho, the problem with Minnesota is it's politics. I would think twice before CHOOSING to move there with the current politics.

And SF needs some serious leadership to bring its economy back, to revitalize its many minority communities. And yet, those very minority communities are the draw of the city. Do minority communities (say, the Castro and others) need to work together more and integrate more for the good of the city?? Instead of such an insular focus on "gay gay gay." I mean, in SF of all places, gay leaders should see no NEED to focus on "gay gay gay." Plus, that silly spinning wooden thing is NOT gay, nor the ballgag. Gosh, whatever happened to LOVING a guy. That's REAL gay, sorry.

Oh, and as for Target: Gosh, guys, I have trouble NOT shopping there. And all the gay boys running the local store delude me into thinking that Target is still gay-friendly. Why can't corporate Target get their SH** together and get officially gay-friendly so that people like me (and the guys in the vid) don't need to find new places to shop, and all the gay guys working at Target can stay there to the extent they otherwise would, and take care of customers like they're so darn good at doing. I mean, seriously, it's not easy for us to LEAVE Target. But the way these things work is that once we REALLY do, we're gone.

Just my two cents.

Posted by: just_a_guy | May 10, 2011 12:59:56 PM

24. Hey, ratbastard: Yuppies and gentrification haven't ruined San Francisco - it's just evolution, baby.

Yes, SF was GREAT thirty years ago, but without change a city cannot thrive. SF would be little more than a quaint theme park.

Some things are better now: the grocery stores, the restaurants, the culture, gay AND straight families with kids- together- in The Castro and Noe Valley.

Yes, it's expensive to live here. It is a free market.

BTW: The touristy areas always have more homelessness and grime than the neighborhoods most of us live in.

Posted by: JayJay | May 10, 2011 1:47:56 PM

25. Everyone talking about integration, really freaks me out. Can't we just be ourselves whether it be flamboyant or conservative? I don't think anyone should change either way just in order to gain acceptance.

Posted by: Matt B | May 10, 2011 1:48:12 PM