Gay Marriage | Olympics | Proposition 8

BigGayDeal.com

Olympic Chief Quits Over Anti-Marriage Equality Views

Just a week after his appointment as Chief of Mission for the 2012 United States Olympic team, two-time Olympic gold-winning gymnast Peter Vidmar has stepped down from his post.

Peter Reports surfaced earlier this week that Vidmar had been very active in his support of California's Proposition 8 campaign in 2008. At the time, he was an participated in anti-marriage equality marches and donated $2,000 of his own money to the campaign. Vidmar, who is a Mormon, has been quoted having said "it's good for our society to have a traditional definition of marriage.'

He said in a statement after his resignation:

"I have dedicated my life to the Olympic movement and the ideals of excellence, friendship and respect. I wish that my personal religious beliefs would not have become a distraction from the amazing things that are happening in the Olympic movement in the United States. I simply cannot have my presence become a detriment to the U.S. Olympic family. I hope that by stepping aside, the athletes and their stories will rightly take center stage."

As Andy noted yesterday, Johnny Weir had some harsh words for Vidmar: "The fact this man who is very publicly against something that may be represented on the American team is disgraceful.”

The United States Olympic Committee had been unaware of Vidmar's anti-gay views until this week.

Comments

1. Vidmar is a disgrace. His values are in direct opposition to the spirit of the Olympic games. He should have stepped down a long time ago.

Posted by: chris | May 7, 2011 12:17:21 PM

2. Kudos to Johnny Weir for bringing this to light and actually having an impact.

Posted by: Bill | May 7, 2011 12:22:25 PM

3. So pleased that increasingly people with anti-LBGT views are facing the consequences of their bigotry.

Posted by: homer | May 7, 2011 12:22:56 PM

4. "I have dedicated my life to the Olympic movement and the ideals of excellence, friendship and respect"

...as long as you think as I do, otherwise I do not respect your rights, excellence, nor friendship.

Then stop your CHURCH from trying to impose their idiotic beliefs-that come from an insane man-on a segment of society you are trying to partition/get rid of.

"it's good for our society to have a traditional definition of marriage."

Which would have been polygamy until not so long ago. So which VERSION of "traditional" marriage do you aspire?

Same tired religious BS.

Posted by: Michael | May 7, 2011 12:24:01 PM

5. bye-bye. go back to utah

Posted by: Steve | May 7, 2011 12:39:36 PM

6. His private religious believes would not be an issue if he was using them as an excuse to spread hate and prejudice.

Posted by: jaragon | May 7, 2011 12:41:51 PM

7. When I was young and saw Peter in the 1984 olympics, I had such a crush on him (obviously, this was waaaay before his anti-gay views)....but boy, has the age fairy beaten the crap out of him! How old is he? 50? He looks awful for his age.

Posted by: B-rod | May 7, 2011 1:07:00 PM

8. "I wish that my personal religious beliefs would not have become a distraction from the amazing things that are happening in the Olympic movement in the United States."

Yeah, and we wish your "personal religious beliefs" were not being used to condone, promote and enforce bigotry and discrimination in this country.

Mormons must take a course in false-victimhood.

The most infuriating thing about the Mormon force behind Prop 8 is this: i have yet to meet ANY gay Mormons who plan on getting married in an LDS temple. I've never met any. EVER.

I know many gay ex-Mormons, and I dont' know any gay people who are still LDS followers who have the orbs to ask to be married in an LDS temple.

Quite simply, Gay Marriage will not be an issue for the LDS. Gay Mormons don't have the orbs to demand Equality from their chosen cult, more still will remain closeted and marry women and give birth to 3 or 4 gay children themselves, others will leave the LDS and find free-thinking lives, and then there's the many young LGBT Mormons who simply commit suicide.

Check out the suicide stats in Utah for males between 15 and 25...

So yeah, we're glad you stepped down. Bigotry is not part of the Olympic Spirit.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | May 7, 2011 1:19:21 PM

9. Never mind that being against equality is not a religious belief.

Posted by: Steve | May 7, 2011 1:20:31 PM

10. A straight male gymnast? Say it ain't so!

Posted by: Max | May 7, 2011 1:27:22 PM

11. May we have many beautiful and strong-willed gay and lesbian children and grandchildren, and may he be forced to depend on them for his health and well-being. A-men!

Posted by: TicoSF | May 7, 2011 1:27:45 PM

12. I'm surprised the committee didn't release a "we were shocked, shocked to discover his views ... we take this matter very seriously ..." statement.

Seriously? How could the committee NOT have known his views beforehand?

Posted by: wds | May 7, 2011 1:54:58 PM

13. Vidmar hasn't learned much about FRIENDSHIP and RESPECT if he supported the biggest and most draconian piece of hate legislation in modern America. Maybe he ought to look up those words in a dictionary and re-learn how to apply them in his life, instead of only paying attention to the hate that his Mor[m]on masters blandly bleat from their pulpits.

Posted by: flattopSF | May 7, 2011 1:59:11 PM

14. B-Rod, really? You thought he was cute? He does look 60 to 70, not 50!

Couldnt care about his age though, it's his cookie cutter look. How wholesome!

Posted by: Rowan | May 7, 2011 2:13:26 PM

15. And yet again, the effeminate guy speaks truth and effects change.

I love it when the sissy wins. We owe so much to those who didn't have the opporunity to hide behind a pseudo-masculine demeanor.

Of course, it's also true that the IIOC has never been particularly concerned with human rights. Their charter's language is pretty, but bears little resemblance to their history.

Posted by: The Milkman | May 7, 2011 2:24:26 PM

16. The next mission you go on Petey is to find the truth for yourself. Reject the magic underwear cult, grow a pair and think for yourself instead of following a contrived, idiotic message from a criminal.
    And by the way if it weren't for Utah wanting to become a state- the LDS would still sanction polygamy - so which tradition are you honoring?

Posted by: nick | May 7, 2011 2:31:26 PM

17. The world has changed, Mr Vidmar, but you have failed to change with it. Time to smell the coffee: some of those athletes you say you care about so much are boys who want to marry boys and girls who want to marry girls. If your heart does not grow you will find the world to be an uglier and uglier place. Even your own church is at least starting to address the reality that Mormons can be gay.

Posted by: Danny | May 7, 2011 2:31:50 PM

18. The lesson here for Mormons and others like them is to keep your "personal religious beliefs" to yourself.

I'll defend your right to whatever you want to personally believe, but when you seek to impose your religious beliefs on other Americans, you step outside the realm of the personal and into the harsh light of public discourse -- where your beliefs will be judged and, in this case, deemed bigoted and ultimately unacceptable.

Thank you for stepping aside. It was the right thing to do and I wish you the best.

Posted by: Joe in CT | May 7, 2011 2:33:01 PM

19. So he accepts that his beliefs are a 'distraction' and therefore harmful, but he doesnt seek to change them? What a loser.

Posted by: Rovex | May 7, 2011 2:58:54 PM

20. Ew, I have something stuck to the bottom of my shoe! I must have stepped in some vidmar.

Posted by: AdamK | May 7, 2011 3:44:19 PM

21. Wah, wah, wah. Once again an adherent of a "religion" created by a convicted con-man, the 19th century Beta version of Scientology, is set on imposing his religious judgments on others.

Posted by: Codswallop | May 7, 2011 3:45:04 PM

22. personal religious beliefs... that you forced upon everyone else... not so personal...jack*ss

Posted by: tc in nyc | May 7, 2011 4:29:05 PM

23. Ask the average American citizen wether they believe A) two men can romantically fall in love, or B) do they think God lives on a planet called Kolob as mormons believe.

I'd like to see the results of that poll.

Posted by: James | May 7, 2011 4:37:30 PM

24. ..IF your Mythology is more important to you then reality...then its your problem. I eff'n sick of peole interjecting thier religion into all aspects of civic life.

Posted by: Disgusted Gay American | May 7, 2011 5:09:16 PM

25. And another good man becomes a victim of the "bullying" gays in one... two... three...

Posted by: ANON IN SO CAL | May 7, 2011 5:40:41 PM